Updating to climate control?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
I have a 2007 STX. It needs a new dash surround for the audio and climate controls. Seems they sell quickly at the wreckers.

Got me wondering if I could install a later model surround, like the ones that have the dual zone climate control or from a pathfinder? It’s a slightly different shape, but the controls are different.

Has anyone tried to install the later controls. Could it be done with minimal mods? My guess is the controls are within the switch/dial units and probably have the same or similar parts in behind the dash.

As I recall, the European model for my version - 2009 STX - had climate control, not just a manual air conditioner. I argue with the salesperson when I bought mine (new from Nissan) that my 1977 Jaguar had climate control, surely a refined vehicle such as this Navara STX would have it too? And he replied that it's Australia and we don't get that option here.

But this does mean that wreckers in Europe will have the climate control modules in them. Since "climate control" is little more than testing the temperature of the air and adjusting the output of the air conditioning system according to the results compared with the desired temperature, the only thing that should be needed for our cars is the internal control system ... so let's go looking.

I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1337614961...429ca05c5a1e794f135a|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
and you might want this too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1646632111...A%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=2292270593
I haven't tried it myself, I'm just looking for parts that might suit and I make no recommendations as to whether they'd actually fit or not, but it's clear that the parts might be obtainable!

It’s interesting. I’d guess that they make one plug fits all wiring looms from the factory and then plug in different gear (like the ambient temp sensor option). What is really like to know is if the later models have changed much - but only experimenting will tell I guess.

Since "climate control" is little more than testing the temperature of the air and adjusting the output of the air conditioning system according to the results compared with the desired temperature, the only thing that should be needed for our cars is the internal control system
I don't know how the Navara handles climate control but my last car, a 2002 Toyota Avalon Grande, had a somewhat more sophisticated system, with the climate control handling the heater, aircon and vent system to keep the cabin at a constant temperature, give or take a degree. So, it might not be quite as simple a job as it would appear. I would of course be more than happy to be proven wrong, as I'd dearly like climate control in mine.

I really miss the Avalon's electrically adjustable everything, sunroof, satnav, cruise control that actually keep the car at a constant speed, a speedo that's 100% accurate because it's periodically re-calibrated using the GPS signals, etc. The steering wheel would even go all the way in and up when you removed the key, making it easier to get in and out. Unfortunately, it was 2WD and couldn't have towed what we need to tow. I couldn't afford anything with a similar level of convenience/luxury with the specs we need in a tow vehicle, so I got a Navara instead. :confused:

I don't know how the Navara handles climate control but my last car, a 2002 Toyota Avalon Grande, had a somewhat more sophisticated system, with the climate control handling the heater, aircon and vent system to keep the cabin at a constant temperature, give or take a degree. So, it might not be quite as simple a job as it would appear. I would of course be more than happy to be proven wrong, as I'd dearly like climate control in mine.

I really miss the Avalon's electrically adjustable everything, sunroof, satnav, cruise control that actually keep the car at a constant speed, a speedo that's 100% accurate because it's periodically re-calibrated using the GPS signals, etc. The steering wheel would even go all the way in and up when you removed the key, making it easier to get in and out. Unfortunately, it was 2WD and couldn't have towed what we need to tow. I couldn't afford anything with a similar level of convenience/luxury with the specs we need in a tow vehicle, so I got a Navara instead. :confused:

See that's just part of the trickery. In my Navara, I have to manually turn a knob from 'cool' to 'heat', but it's little more than a resistor that provides input to the system. This operates air path doors to 'mix' the cool and warm air being generated inside. The fan speed is also an electronic switch. Thus it's fairly easy to put a digital thermostat in, allowing the user to easily adjust the desired temperature, and then take all the nonsense manual bullshit out of the hands of the driver by drawing in air, measuring it, and then automatically making the necessary adjustments as inputs to the exact same system we have in our cars now.

What beats the shit out of me is that they have been able to do this EASY function for decades now, and we still get cars with manual air conditioning, like climate control is reserved for BMW drivers or something. News flash: BMW drivers HATE the people that put the car together, in particular the workers that install indicators, because the drivers never use the bloody things making those poor employees' lives totally worthless!

What beats the shit out of me is that they have been able to do this EASY function for decades now, and we still get cars with manual air conditioning, like climate control is reserved for BMW drivers or something. News flash: BMW drivers HATE the people that put the car together, in particular the workers that install indicators, because the drivers never use the bloody things making those poor employees' lives totally worthless!
Some points on that:
  • Most importantly, I absolutely agree with you.
  • The car has a computer and servos to operate things like vents are simple and cheap, at the manufacturing stage at least. Mary have the servos even when fitted with manual controls. My old Avalon was the top trim level and the same car was used with very little change in the Lexus line but still, it was a 2002 model!
  • My last job before retiring was in Hawthorn East, which is next door to Camberwell, which is rich bastard country. Based on my observations, there are two kinds of drivers who appear to think that things like indicators and courtesy are not their domain - tradies and wealthy people. In fact, I think indicators might even be an optional accessory in really expensive cars and they decide to save a couple of dollars there. Just like they seem to have paid else someone to get their license for them because they can't drive a bloody car. I long ago lost count of how many cars in the $100,000+ range nearly cleaned me up. Even just managed to avoid getting sandwiched between a couple of middle age hoons in Lamborghinis one time.

Thus it's fairly easy to put a digital thermostat in, allowing the user to easily adjust the desired temperature, and then take all the nonsense manual bullshit out of the hands of the driver by drawing in air, measuring it, and then automatically making the necessary adjustments as inputs to the exact same system we have in our cars now.
Im not completely sold on full auto climate control. Sometimes I just want max cool/warm directed at my feet or face etc. normally when you first jump in the car. Some of the auto climate control systems I’ve used had a hard time doing that.

Temp adjusted climate control is good though once the cabin temp has settled a bit. The one in our pathfinder seems to be a decent system. Good manual controls and ability to set a temp and press auto when you want.

Im not completely sold on full auto climate control. Sometimes I just want max cool/warm directed at my feet or face etc. normally when you first jump in the car. Some of the auto climate control systems I’ve used had a hard time doing that.
With the Avalon you could set it to manual mode and control everything yourself. My wife always did that and would be filing with the settings a fair bit to get it where she wanted it. I could never understand why because I prefer to just dial the temperature I want and leave it be. There are of course those cold mornings where the windscreen fogs right up. Then you just push the front demister button and the aircon is turned up full and all the air is directed at the windscreen. It still regulates the temperature though. Push the button again and it's all back to normal. I loved that feature, as it took just seconds to demist the screen. Too bad it couldn't do the side windows as well.

Seriously, considering such an old model had features like that, why aren't they standard on all models today? It's not just convenience, they actually make driving safer because you can just focus on the drive, instead of having to fiddle with controls.

Something a bit unique to the Australian market.

In Europe you would have to look very hard to find any Navara with standard aircon.

All that said, the climate control on the 2.5 is not the best. It has a mind of its own and never seems to be at a comfortable temperature.

Latest posts

Back