Unknown Connection

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshannon26

Reaction score
Hi, Apologies if this sounds dumb but I do not have a clue when it comes to motor electrics and need some advise if possible.

Cut a long story short I left my heated seat switch on over a few days and drained my battery. Got it jumped off but only just noticed there is a 3 way splitter coming off my battery to an actual outdoor plastic box stuffed at the side of my battery. I traced the cables and all 3 cables sit underneath in the middle of my chassis chopped. So basically just laying there hanging from the bottom of my pick up. Any idea what this would have been used for? There’s a wire going from both terminals on the battery into a junction box then out again into another cable?

Hope this makes sense haha.

Hi, Apologies if this sounds dumb but I do not have a clue when it comes to motor electrics and need some advise if possible.

Cut a long story short I left my heated seat switch on over a few days and drained my battery. Got it jumped off but only just noticed there is a 3 way splitter coming off my battery to an actual outdoor plastic box stuffed at the side of my battery. I traced the cables and all 3 cables sit underneath in the middle of my chassis chopped. So basically just laying there hanging from the bottom of my pick up. Any idea what this would have been used for? There’s a wire going from both terminals on the battery into a junction box then out again into another cable?

Hope this makes sense haha.
Hi, I’ve been advised this could have been an inverter 🤷🏻‍♂️ Means nothing to me unfortunately 😄

It's possible that the cables ran into the tub for an auxiliary battery, or to the towbar area for providing power to a caravan. My own car has heavy cables (that I ran myself, along the chassis and tied off so they can't come loose and get damaged) that go both to the tub and to the rear, for both purposes - I have an aux battery in the tub, and I tow a caravan that uses the power to run the fridge while we're driving.

If they're not connected to anything, consider disconnecting them from the battery for now - more to save yourself from having any problems than anything else, but I would imagine that if the cables are broken underneath and you wanted to have heavy power cables to the rear, new intact cables are preferable to old repaired ones!

Edit: An inverter, now that's possible - in the tub - advice as above unless, even if you want to put one in there as well. Less joins in cables = less problems.

It's possible that the cables ran into the tub for an auxiliary battery, or to the towbar area for providing power to a caravan. My own car has heavy cables (that I ran myself, along the chassis and tied off so they can't come loose and get damaged) that go both to the tub and to the rear, for both purposes - I have an aux battery in the tub, and I tow a caravan that uses the power to run the fridge while we're driving.

If they're not connected to anything, consider disconnecting them from the battery for now - more to save yourself from having any problems than anything else, but I would imagine that if the cables are broken underneath and you wanted to have heavy power cables to the rear, new intact cables are preferable to old repaired ones!

Edit: An inverter, now that's possible - in the tub - advice as above unless, even if you want to put one in there as well. Less joins in cables = less problems.
Thanks Mate, I did buy a converter for the tow bar due to it having a 13 pin plug, the converter comes also with the fridge connection too so think I will remove them.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back