unexplained loss of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The suction control valve has just been replaced on my 2010 ST and it has fixed the intermittent loss of power and the fluctuating idle issue, the funny thing is i tried the loose fuel cap trick and it never made any differance, so even if you do try the fuel cap trick and it doesnt work it still could be the SUCTION CONTROL VALVE

Where is this suction control vavle fitted,can you buy the part by itself and fit it myself, mine drives fine on the road tows 2.5 ton of boat with no problems only plays up on big hill climbs out the bush,loosing the fuel makes no differance

I have the same problem and am keen to see how to carry out the replacement of the suction vale, incase the fuel cap thing doesnt work. Is it possible to post up some photos of how to carry it out? Interestingly I just phoned my local Nissan dealer and asked spare parts about a suction control valve he knew all about it and asked me if it was a Navara?...yes, Spain built ?...yes what year?....07...we have 5 in stock $287.20 each
I asked was it an easy replacement and he had no idea

My problem is different in that it turns off. I start it and it wont rev and will just shut down. The 1st time it has happened to me (used vehicle) i was at a set of roadworks with the lights at either end. Was on a hill went to take off and stalled it, then turned it over and died no lights warnings. Did it again went to rev, nothing then died. Did it once more and was all good. This was about 4 weeks ago.

Then the other day went to get some diesel and pulled up on the wrong side (still used to a holden ute on the drivers side), started it and went to reverse to the other side and it died. Started it and went a treat.

Any thoughts??

Cheers,
Brownie

Well I tried the loosening of the fuel cap this afternoon. I think it helped at around 100ks I could feel a bit of resistance in the motor like hitting gusts of wind head on (if that makes any sense) pushed on to 110ks and she dropped in power but I only had to back offf a little and accelerate again and the power was back.... for 5 seconds and did it again.
I am selling this vehicle ATM bloody frustrating

Sounds very similar to mine, has been in dealer for 3 of the last 5 days fixed it air leak into fuel return hose they said. Picked it up Friday arvo after the kids finished school went to go out this morning and pooft no power, restarted and came home and grabbed the mighty Micra.. Back into Nissan tomorrow hence my mood

Hi All,
Im hoping to pick up an 08 ST-X D40 2.5TD this Sat. I have it all checked out and no issues were picked up however after reading this im worried about this issue. Is it just pot luck with these or certain year models having the issue?
Thanks

fuel loss of power

I was told by a nissan tech that the pick up screen in the fuel tank needed to be cleaned, thus preventing fuel starvation

My 07 Navara RX manual has suffered from the limp home issue on and off since new. I took it back countless times, They could never find any fault codes but at one stage they said they got a fuel pressure relief valve code and replaced the common rail assembly (they may have but I dont think it was on my ute). They just kept giving me the run around until warranty was up. I did take it back once after warranty and they checked it free of charge but still found nothing which was a big suprise... but they suggested that the fuel filter may need to be changed if the problem persisted. I had stumbled on this thread and questioned nissan parts about SCV and it seemed that it was a fairly popular item although he could not tell me too much about it. I left it at that for a while and the ute was running fine, then when it played up again I replaced the fuel filter. I cut the old one up as a matter of interest and was shocked at how bad it was so I pulled out the tank for inspection and it was clean. I let it go again and it was good for a while. When it started to play up again I decided to replace the SCV. I called the nissan parts section and had my one and only good dealing with them. The nissan part no. is "NI-A6860-EC09A" their description is "Valve Kit Regul"(ator)and it cost me about $300. I fitted it last friday (I also changed the air filter but did not do the ecu reset) and have done about 200km since then with no problems, this does not sound much but the wife drives about 50 km a day and last week it was stopping about 3-5 times a day. It also seems to have stopped the black smoke under load and may also be a bit more responsive. When fitting the valve it helps to be left handed.

Last edited:
I am pleased to say it is still running good and has not missed a beat- very wise investment...

Hi guys first post ,joined yesterday. I have a 2009 diesel 2.2 common rail navara 4x2 ute. A couple of weeks ago I put in 20 bucks worth of what I thought was diesel....wrong.unleaded. the tank probablh about 20 litres in it before I topped up. Any way about 2 ks down the road shes running like a pig missing on 1 cylinder, not accelerating properly. Had trouble starting it for 2 days,not running on all 4, thought it was the fuel filter, then the white engine light comes on one morning and after stopping a lights dosent want to accelerate above a crawl, flicked the ignition off and back on really quick ,..problem solved till ext set of lights. I have since topped up with diesel and this bug is still an issue until I checked a site and was advised to re-set the ECU,which is easy as pie,using the accallerator pedal and ignition switch, ever had the problem since. wouldn't hurt to try that ,no cost fix. Garrie

To Lee : I think its a pot luck thing, when I was reading up on this problem on anotherforum this problem was occurring from 1000 ks on. my 250 has just done 14000 and it only happened because I put in unleaded which started thing off im guessing.(read prev post) its all good now though. Garrie

2010 stx

Hi all
I have bought a second hand 2010 stx from wippells autos in toowoomba, it had 150000 Kms on the clock, the day I picked it up it lost power like everyone else has said, took it straight back and they said nothing was wrong. I looked at this forum and took it back and made them drive it until it happened to them and they replaced the suction control valve and the injectors and all the seal in the fuel pump, I've now had it for two months no problem but has just started doing it again. What can I do now I don't wanna drive around with the cap loose as there must be another solution ? Have one month left on statutory warranty so want to get it fixed now
Cheers

Hi all
I have bought a second hand 2010 stx from wippells autos in toowoomba, it had 150000 Kms on the clock, the day I picked it up it lost power like everyone else has said, took it straight back and they said nothing was wrong. I looked at this forum and took it back and made them drive it until it happened to them and they replaced the suction control valve and the injectors and all the seal in the fuel pump, I've now had it for two months no problem but has just started doing it again. What can I do now I don't wanna drive around with the cap loose as there must be another solution ? Have one month left on statutory warranty so want to get it fixed now
Cheers

Maybe try the fuel filter?

I think it was shaunus88 that said he'd had his SCV cleaned and it began working normally again. So here's my questions to YOU regarding that:

1) What kind of fuel do you use in the car?

2) Do you purchase from a high-turnover outlet or a small town single-bowser "yeah mate I'll come fill it for you as soon as I've finished milking the damn cow!" ?

3) Have you changed fuel filter recently? If so, is it a genuine filter or an aftermarket? Non-genuine filters have caused considerable trouble for quite a few members here in the past.

I really want to know how the hell the SCV can get dirty in the first place?

Yeah that's right.

He started off buy reading the fuel pressure at the rail. This instantly told him it wasn't fuel pump as it was reading 12psi or so too high. He then removed SCV, gave it a thorough clean out/service and re-installed it. Reset the ECU and Nav was a completely different animal!

Driving it fixed put a smile on my face that's for sure. Hadn't driven that smoothly in months...

Cost me $225. Go get it done. I can't believe I waited that long. Just go get your rail pressure tested and see what it comes back with...Should be around 184psi or something.

Hi all
Cheers

Last night I drove it and now the engine light has come on ???

Last night I drove it and now the engine light has come on ???

drain the fuel filter and see what happens, if the filter detects water it will go into limp mode and throw the check engine light up on the dash,
not saying that it is but i will cost nothing.
if you can try and catch what comes out so you can see if there is any water.

hi everyone two weeks ago i posted my 06 d40 was going into limp mode if she sat for 30 seconds tickin over well its cured went on to ecu learning and done what the told me pump accelator 5 times in 5 seconds and the rest and went for a drive switched off and restarted perfect going like a dream thanks to this site i would of been out 500 pounds

Last edited:
hi everyone two weeks ago i posted my 06 d40 was going into limp mode if she sat for 30 seconds tickin over well its cured went on to ecu learning and done what the told me pump accelator 5 times in 5 seconds and the rest and went for a drive switched off and restarted perfect going like a dream thanks to this site i would of been out 500 pounds

Great news mate

Limp mode

Hi Everyone
My D40 2010 after the 130k service 2 days later on the freeway put foot down to overtake (was only doing 80kph) loss of power & into limp mode. 4 days later again doing 80kph went to overtake and you guessed it loss of power. Both occassions restarted car and all ok. Both times occurred when accelerating to overtake doing 80 in a 100 zone. From what I've read here it is most likely the scv. Would you guys agree? What should it cost to have it replaced by Nissan? Since its a known fault although porbably not acknowledged should Nissan replace it for free!!!!!!
Thanks
Dee

Latest posts

Back