Turbo/engine noises

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav22

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So we just had the injector seals replaced on the 2005 d22 dx (zd30). And have begun to notice that the turbo is significantly louder, but also doesn't sound too healthy. Kind of sounds like it's screaming (best way I can describe it)

Any ideas would be great.

There would be two reasons (that I can think of) for a turbocharger to make excessive noise.

1) Turbocharger bearing failure. If it's screaming, chances are the impeller is rubbing on the housing. You'll know this if you open the air piping coming off the turbocharger and examine the inner surface of the pipe (wipe a clean finger inside, then examine the finger under a bright light). If you see fine glittery particles, the turbo's in need of replacement (or a bearing kit, but if the impeller's been rubbing on the housing ...)

2) Exhaust gasket failure. This happened to me, except mine didn't so much "scream", mine sounded more like a drunk trying to play clarinet with his butt (because really, who'd try to do something like that sober, huh?). Look for signs of black sooty emissions around all the joins, but particularly the join between the exhaust manifold and turbo. Check the EGR tube as well, they sometimes develop holes.

i'm guessing you have a loose intake pipe.
i can't recall if they have to take off the inlet manifold to do the injectors. if they did possible egr leak.
the only thing in turbo side that needs removing is the cross over pipe, so i doubt its the turbo itself.

There would be two reasons (that I can think of) for a turbocharger to make excessive noise.

1) Turbocharger bearing failure. If it's screaming, chances are the impeller is rubbing on the housing. You'll know this if you open the air piping coming off the turbocharger and examine the inner surface of the pipe (wipe a clean finger inside, then examine the finger under a bright light). If you see fine glittery particles, the turbo's in need of replacement (or a bearing kit, but if the impeller's been rubbing on the housing ...)

2) Exhaust gasket failure. This happened to me, except mine didn't so much "scream", mine sounded more like a drunk trying to play clarinet with his butt (because really, who'd try to do something like that sober, huh?). Look for signs of black sooty emissions around all the joins, but particularly the join between the exhaust manifold and turbo. Check the EGR tube as well, they sometimes develop holes.
Hi thanks. We had a good look around and tightened everything up, also one of the gaskets on the intake seemed to be missing. But it definitely sounds a lot better.

i'm guessing you have a loose intake pipe.
i can't recall if they have to take off the inlet manifold to do the injectors. if they did possible egr leak.
the only thing in turbo side that needs removing is the cross over pipe, so i doubt its the turbo itself.
Yeah we had a good look around and there were definitely quite a few things that needed to be tightened, especially around the intake. It's running a lot better now thankfully

Back