Trick for draining coolant from block

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylock

Reaction score
Hi all, just something i thought i might share as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.

Today i needed flush the coolant from my engine (ZD30), after blindly finding and removing the drain plug from the block (They couldn't have found a better place for this little prick), i spent over half an hour trying to get the sucker to go back in, then it finally dawned on me.... there has to be an easier way, and there is.

Remove left wheel, remove the splash rubber thing, and then it is a strait shot to the plug hole....

I hope this helps someone.

Same for YD25 but you can get away with turning the wheel and just popping a couple of the plugs holding the rubber. Go through the left hand side.

Good info to have for both engines. I know what you mean by hard to find.

Nice one, i think little hints and tips like this are very useful, maybe worth stating a thread aimed at hints and tips similar to this as they save a lot of time and money in broken things in the shed.

Haha I drained the coolant about 2 months ago, I just gave up trying to drain it from the block (using the workshop manual was almost useless for an explanation) and just left the block undrained and filled the radiator back up. At least Ill know for next time haha

This is the only time that I have ever been let down by the manual - I'm sure it doesn't match reality.

This is a great tip - one worth committing to memory (even at the expense of some that seems more important).

Can any one describe or post a photo of what the drain plug will look like on the block.
Cheers

I haven't looked but it's probably flush fitting and uses a half inch socket extension like the oil filter housing.

Attachments

• coolant drain.JPG
    coolant drain.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 306
Naa, its a bolt head, about 10mm or 12mm if memory serves, not much room right net to it tho, so if you can manage it, you want to have a socket on a nice long extension.

I'm stuffed if I can find this bolt. Got a 2008 2.5ltr yd25 d22. If any one could post a pic that would be great.

I still havent been able to get to it with a 1/2inch drive, I have bout a 3/8inch draive socket set now so I may be able to get to it the next time I do my coolant haha

I'm stuffed if I can find this bolt. Got a 2008 2.5ltr yd25 d22. If any one could post a pic that would be great.

Pic doesn't really show where the drain plug is, might be the front of the engine down low.

Attachments

• yd25 coolant drain.JPG
    yd25 coolant drain.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 202
I still havent been able to get to it with a 1/2inch drive, I have bout a 3/8inch draive socket set now so I may be able to get to it the next time I do my coolant haha
Good luck with that... i tried to use a 3/8" extension when i did mine and had no frickin hope in hell of cracking that bolt loose. I think it might need a rattle gun hahaha

Haha get a bit of 25x25 box and make a lever. Or just get a 1/2 inch female to 3/8inch male converter and use a big breaker bar

Latest posts

Back