Tray or Tub?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGP

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've currently got a tray on my D22 and was wondering whether to buy a Tub? With tray was thinking about setting up toolboxes on either side for storage as the tray doesn't have a cover and also for security (at the moment I don't really use it much for security reasons). However I've been thinking about buying a tub with hard top or potentially a canopy so that it's easier/safer to store things in the back. I'm an apprentice electrician and will be taking the nav away for weekend trips etc. so was wondering what the better option would be?
Also the tub I'm looking at getting is off a 2015 d22 and I own a 2011 d22, will the tub fit?
Cheers.

Hey mate, you could get a canopy for your tray instead, but it depends how you want to set it up. If you want to change to a tub, the 2015 may fit. I know they did have issues in thailand around 2011/2012 and moved manufacturing back to Japan for a while, but I don't know if the tubs stayed the same.

The only things that were different were the towbar and the mounts for the rear step, but if you haven't got either of them it will bolt up fine. 2015 should have the longer tub anyway, but regardless, without the rear step the towbars will fit ok anyway. I removed the step from my 2010 and bought a towbar off someone with an earlier model who changed to a rear step and it fitted fine, the tongue just sits too far under the chrome step otherwise.

Personally I would stick to the tray and build a frame with lockable doors which make it much easier to access for fridges/camping etc in the back or even a ladder rack on top for sparky work/boat etc if needed
Re changing to the tub from a tray, think you will find the tub towbar hangs out about 100mm further than the tray towbar and it will be derated to 2800kg where the tray is 3000 kg at least thats what it is here on the D22's I have, don't think you will have a problem with variations between country of origin at least my 2008 JNI is perfectly adaptable to the 2009 and 2011 MNT vehicles, I just think the JNI is better quality fitments, the D40's seem to have lots of problems between different countries.

The thai built models had a 100mm longer tub, that's the difference with them. Physically they will fit, but as I said, the towbar sits too far under if you have a rear step fitted. I'm not sure if they went back to the shorter tub when they moved back to Japan for a year or 2 after the floods in thailand, although I have a feeling they did. The jap built (short tub) had the tailgate with the ribs across it and the thai built (long tub) was flat with just the small handle at the top.

I might be wrong but my 2011 is an MNT (thai) and it now has a JNI (jap) tub on it in place of the original tray but the 2011 tray was a DIY and a real stuff up so it could have had a tub originally as the bar was pushed out further with some poxy homemade brackets so used the bar, brackets and bolts off the 2008 jap one which also moves the bar out to suit the tub, if in the same place as the tray the bar socket would be 100mm under the step.
All the chassis's seem to be the same so if putting a tub on you will need the the brackets and wiring loom back to the plug at the end of the chassis

My Navara is Thai built with the Nissan Tray. Reason for me thinking about going to tub is the fact that I just haven't really been using the tray due to it being all open, and I don't really want to splash the cash for say a half canopy or something of the sort, especially as the tray does have a couple of splits in the bed of the tray (it's by no means new). As said above it seems that the tub I was looking at is also Thai made as it doesn't have the ribs across the tailgate, would the mounts be in the same place? Also, even with putting the tub on towing shouldn't be that big of an issue with the towbar being further under should it?

It will be harder to access for chains etc and may be too close for at ball unless you get an extended one, will have a look at mine tomorrow and see whats involved re the brackets as it was a while ago but do have (or did) a couple of templates for the brackets, if I haven't used them, the chassis's are all the same but maybe some earlier Jap tubs were different to the 2008

Great cheers for that mate.
Yeah had a look today, the tub towbar has extended arms to allow it to pick up the bolt holes in the chassis and think the bracket that sits inside the chassis is different to allow for the extended towbar, did find the two brackets here which I started to make for the tub, just need tidying up and drilling but if putting a tub on a cab chassis it will pay to get the tub, towbar, brackets and wiring loom to suit.

Your tray body may have been a tub originally as many were converted to trays and if it is it may still have the extended towbar etc the towbar will be rated at 2800kg but if it was a cab chassis it will probably be 3000kg and shorter.

Actually think I was going to use the unfinished brackets here for the project tray and put a 3000kg bar on but decided against it as it would probably be illegal due to the extra overhang.

Latest posts

Back