Transfer Case & Differential Services

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yonatan

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for my poor English
G'day all
I have a 2009 Nissan D22 YD25
I want to do an oil change to my gearbox and my Diff
I am having a hard time understanding what oil I need to each Diff and what oil for my gearbox
Will appreciate any help

cheers
Yonatan

For 4wd the manual says.
Rear diff SAE 140 gear oil with 10% limited slip diff friction modifier. (1.3 lts. In colder climate an 80w-90 would probably do).
Front diff 80w-90 diff/gear oil. (1.3 lts).
Both GL-5 spec.

Gearbox uses 75w-90 gear oil (5.1 lts). Important that it is GL-4 spec. Transfer uses the same (2.2 lts), but can also use automatic transmission fluid.

To give you an idea I use the following.
Rear diff Penrite 85w-140 lsd oil.
Front diff Castrol epx 80w-90 gear oil.
Gearbox and transfer Castrol vmx-m 75w-85 gear oil.

Last edited:
For 4wd the manual says.
Rear diff SAE 140 gear oil with 10% limited slip diff friction modifier. (1.3 lts. In colder climate an 80w-90 would probably do).
Front diff 80w-90 diff/gear oil. (1.3 lts).
Both GL-5 spec.

Gearbox uses 75w-90 gear oil (5.1 lts). Important that it is GL-4 spec. Transfer uses the same (2.2 lts), but can also use automatic transmission fluid.

To give you an idea I use the following.
Rear diff Penrite 85w-140 lsd oil.
Front diff Castrol epx 80w-90 gear oil.
Gearbox and transfer Castrol vmx-m 75w-85 gear oil.

Is there anything else you need besides the oil buddy? I've got all the oil just need to get off my arse and do it . . .

Read that it's best to remove the drain plug first and then the fill plug, are any of these hard to locate or pour the oil?

ta, Rich

It's straightforward, they're easy to locate. A 1/2" drive ratchet/bar with an extension is all you need (at least on mine it is). It's probably best to loosen the filler plug first. You don't want to drain the oil and find you can't get a filler plug undone. That's very unlikely to happen but it makes sense to do it that way.

You might also find it easier with one of those cheap pumps from supercrap, ones that screw onto the oil container so you can pump it in.

If you buy a cheap pump for filling the oil, be sure to put a cable tie, or twist some wire around the ends of the hose to prevent them coming off while under the higher pressure created when pumping the thicker gear oils ... gets a bit messy otherwise.

Latest posts

Back