Trailer connectors are not reliable

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLA

Reaction score
Several of years ago I had problems with my trailer plug failing.
Some of the pins had recessed and one was pushed fully back and could never engage into the vehicles socket.
I briefed myself for buying Chinese junk and fitted a new Narva plug and socket.
Now it’s happened again, this time with the Narva combination.

One indicator pin had fully pushed back and several others were on the way also.
I will replace them both again of course but I keep on wondering what would happen down the Mapleton range if I had my loaded trailer heading to the tip and the trailer’s electric brake wire was not working or intermittent.

The failure always seems to be in the plug on the trailer lead. It has been ok for several years and now randomly fails. The plug itself seems to reliably stay plugged into the socket but the individual pins are eventually a problem. Seems like the brake and earth wires needs a parallel path. Perhaps an extra Anderson plug or using spare 50amp pins on a 12 pin trailer plug.

There are already enough ways to have an accident but this one should be preventable.

yes.
those rectangle plugs are terrible. tho i've never had pins pushed back in. check how they are lining up. if the socket is bent your always going to have issues.
wiring is the number one fault on trailers, one reason i don't like electric brakes.
btw wireless braking system, just as bad.

some guys go back to the old school round plugs, they rarely have problems.

It's where metal cases and dummy plugs are useful for when you aren't using them.
As a matter of course I always tape my connections together too. Learnt about that the hard way with 90t behind me and no brake or indicator lights.

Latest posts

Back