Towing Capacity

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWright

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm about to pick up my brand new off-road caravan...weighs about 3tonne - could anyone please share their experience with towing that much weight? Is my brand new Navara Pro 4X up to the task? Thanks

Yes.

But bear in mind that you're really at the upper limit of its capacity. We tow a 2.5T caravan (actually 2,550kg but let's not quibble about 50kg). Up hills, I monitor the coolant temps really carefully, trying to not let it pass 105C. This does mean I'm gearing down (mine's an auto, 2009 126kW so less power than yours) but it also means it's not killing the car to get it up over the hills. Yours - being slightly more powerful with slightly more weight - should behave similarly.

I use a bluetooth OBD2 adapter (ELM327) and an Android app called 'Torque' to monitor the level, and have an alarm set for 105C just in case I forget, or I'm busy watching other vehicles.

Otherwise, I have an external transmission cooler to help keep the transmission temps down and no other mods. I do use a load-leveller for the hitch (Hayman Reese), but mine's an ordinary 50mm ball hitch, not a Treg or otherwise.

Hi All, I'm about to pick up my brand new off-road caravan...weighs about 3tonne - could anyone please share their experience with towing that much weight? Is my brand new Navara Pro 4X up to the task? Thanks
is that weighs 3 ton empty, or has max gross weight of 3 ton?

is that weighs 3 ton empty, or has max gross weight of 3 ton?
Well, let's start with 3tonne max - I'll be making some mods to the caravan to make it a little lighter.
Navara is only new too, so not sure how effective the "tow mode" is.

towing should be fine. make sure your trailer has decent braking on all wheels and most importantly get the balance right with most of the weight in the centre.

A bit off topic, but some of those Australian off road caravans are super impressive.

They bear little resemblance to those white plastic boxes on a tin foil chassis that you see in Europe.

Be aware that anything you add to the Nav will come off your payload. Towing 3t legally may mean your Nav can’t have a lot in (or on) it. Check your GCM, subtract your Nav tare weight and the total for the van and you’ll get what you can legally carry in the Nav.

Looks like you will be pushing your limits with weight.

You need to start adding up everything that you add to the vehicle, passengers, fuel, water, tow bar, bullbar, drawbar weight.

5910 Kg is your max GCM

Probably best to put yourself over a commercial weight bridge before going very far.

Latest posts

Back