Towbar electrics

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceiow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a towbar off a D40 Long Way down from a breakers and was surprised how many wires were present. The grey plugs look OEM, but there are a bunch of other wires that i'm not sure of. it looks like the left hand 7pin would be manually spliced in to tail lights which is fine, but for the right hand 7 pin, where do the tab connectors, black plug block and push in wires go? I mapped all the wires out in the image below:

Navara Tow Wiring.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

The secondary socket allows you to provide power to things like fridges in your trailer. It also provides a reversing light.

The black socket probably housed a voltage sensing relay to protect the main battery from being discharged.

If you Google 7s towing socket you will find wiring diagram, basically an earth, battery and reversing light connection.

That looks like a real dogs breakfast. It is far from being standard. When you say "Raw End" does that mean the wires just go nowhere? The bunch of 5 and bunch of 3, does the raw end apply to all the ends. If these look like they have been cut and left swinging, is there some wires looped back and tied up under the tray?

This has been a very non standard setup and I suggest you get someone who knows electrics to look at it for you. If they can't work it out in 20 minutes then I suggest you have all that wiring removed and start again.

Most genuine Navara towing harnesses have a Y plugs where you just disconnect the tail light harness and fit the bypass
The extra wires could be for Electric brakes or accessories for a caravan ?

Can't help with a D40 but presume your loom from the front of the vehicle should have a plug somewhere near the end of the chassis as amber.2 said normally there would be an extra loom where you plug/piggy back off/into the original wiring.
By the look of what you have there you are better to go back to where your original wires go hopefully into a plug but if not you are going to have to locate your original wiring loom and identify what wires go to where and splice off them what you actually need on your towbar and toss what you don't need, that one looks like it has been set up for a specific purpose.

Latest posts

Back