To STX or STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anabolix250

Reaction score
G'day fellas,

New to the forum but see there is a lot of experience and knowledge around....

As you can tell im keen to buy a Navara but am unsure of which to go for. My budget is up to 35000. I have ruled out petrol variants and am chasing a diesel. So far my options as i see them are :

1. STR- Have seen quite a few 05-07 STR models for sale anywhere between 25000 - 30000. Low km's around 50000km's. Now I like everything about the STR (well what I know about them) except I am around 6'2" and I have heard they are not designed tall people friendly. Are the seats height adjustable? This cheaper option would allow me a bit more cash for mods.

2. STX - Looking at the 2.5 td 07-08 model STX's. Low km's around 50000lm's manuals going for between 33 and 36000. Brother has one and I like it but this would not allow much money for mods. Head room is fine.

3. Forget nissan and go for a triton..... ( hilux too expensive imo )

Which way would you lean in my situation? Any advice for either car?

Cheers

the ST-X are really a full class above the STR. Don't get me wrong, the STR is a great truck and awesome value (you could get a brand new one for under your $35k budget) but the ST-X is bigger, more powerful, a lot more features and for a 6'2" bloke they will be a lot more accomodating.

As far as i know the St-X dual cab (not kind cab) is the only Navara with height adjustable seats.

Personally, I hate the Tritons but only because they are so god damned ugly, their V6 engines on older models use as much oil as they do fuel, the wheels are way too small for the wheel arches and they sit to high in the rear compared to the front. However they seem to be good value and all that....

STR's are tougher
STX is for girls :girl_wink:

:aetsch:

Speaking for the "girls" out there I'd go for the STX over the STR no matter which year but then my needs suit an STX better. Lets face it someone has to drive the better quality vehicles it may as well be the STX drivers.

Being 6'2" or so myself and having driven both, I can say that you need not worry about either providing enough room for your height.

Have a think about what you want to do with it. The STR D22 is more of a tradies' ute, and the STX D40 is more up-market. Both are good vehicles. Differences are in things like central locking, door light switches, speaker systems, puddle lights, mirror indicators - the little things.

In the long run, the car has to do what you want to do with it, and I'd probably lean towards the D22 if you're an offroader, and the D40 if you want to tow or cruise.

As Matt said, two different vehicles for two different markets really. I think the STR are great value, but i went with the ST-X because it's a bit bigger and more comfy, more features and so on, I do a lot of highway driving so cruise control and all the creature comforts were a must-have for me. That said, if I were going back on the tools and wanted a "work truck" and/or doing 4x4ing, I would probably go with a D22 STR and throw an alloy tray and ladder racks on it. I would just feel better throwing around a $35k vehicle rather than a $55k one...

Now all the "STX girls" are speaking up! Go the STX!

Actually it makes no real difference to me what you buy I brought my car for my reasons and thats all that matters and I'm sure you will do the same in the end.

Honestly id rather the stx as a tradies ute cos its got more ute space apparently more comfy(when your buggered and just want to get home) tie down points in the ute and bigger interior space for the big tradie beer guts.

But lets get one thing straight, a 3l will tow better than a 2.5l, thats another argument and i know will cause a stir, but thats the truth.

A str has a solid front end conversion kit available straight bolt on, almost!

The str is a better looking ute in general.

OK guys just stirring everyone up a bit, i think there both great utes and it all comes down to personal choice of looks and budget and what you want to do with the car.

Honestly id rather the stx as a tradies ute cos its got more ute space apparently more comfy(when your buggered and just want to get home) tie down points in the ute and bigger interior space for the big tradie beer guts.

So taking this comment with the one in the other thread about your beer drinking when are you upgrading?

Does the D22 STR have vinyl or carpet floors? I have always had vinyl floor utes for my "tradies" utes and vans, so much easier to clean them....

I hear what you're saying about D22 being smaller inside, but to be honest I wouldn't mind something a bit more compact, one of the downsides of the type of projects we do is that I spend a lot of time in shopping centre carparks, D40's are downright BITCHES to drive around in those....

Last edited:
I wanted a vinyl floor in my ST-X but they don't do it :(

Cost wise it might not be an option but there is a company in Oz who offer a complete vinyl floor that replaces the carpet, haven't seen their ad for a while but I know they advertised that along with vinyl/plastic pan type flooring that covered pretty much all but the bit under the center console

I have driven both, the D40 has more get up and go, more space inside and is pretty user friendly inside.

Downsides of the D40, interior isn't as refined as the D22. It feels cheap to me. No transfer lever.

D22, not as comfortable and less space inside but I want a ute that feels like a ute. Has more ground clearence then a D40. The 3L engine is the biggest bonus, I like a diesel to feel like a diesel aswell.

Drive both, its a personal choice.

I love my D22 and will replace with another D22 when the time comes.

Dave.

Ive had my str for about 14 months.

Not one warranty issue yet.

Theres a lot of issues come to light with the d40 on this forum. ( brakes, clutch, rattles,fuel usage, diffs, etc etc.)

Might be wrong but it seems the str would win hands down in the reliability stakes.

Roy.

If you want a tough ute,
go the STR.

If you want a show pony,
get the "girls" option.

have had a STR for 3 yrs and love it for off road fun. Certainly more of a truck than the STX for me. Drove a STX for work for 2 yrs in far NW QLD and for the long highways and gravel roads it performed well and is a lot more comfortable. That said I'm a big 6ft and have done lots of trips between Bris and Cloncurry (1700km) in a day in my D22 and it was comfy enough - cruise control would have been nice tho

Have heard mixed reviews about the STX towing (stock suspension issues which the 'girls' may clarify haha). Also we had 6 of 8 STX in our work fleet go down with injector issues (2007 models) but this is prob fixed in newer models? But there's always teething issues with first runs

Both don't mod up as cheaply as a hilux but only cause the lux was round longer and second hand lux's seem to have a lot of mod's on them already.

As everyone else says, depends what you will use it for. Spend some time looking at other members rides for some great mod's and take a test ride in each.

Either will be way better than Lux!

My STX has an issue with the rear suspension, despite my use of a Hayman Reese load leveller. Dave and I were looking at it and it seems "flat" - went around to Nissan and it seems that "straight" leaf springs are the go.

While I don't think that's the most efficient way to suspend a vehicle, it probably does make for a softer ride. My problem will be when I fix it with a new setup from ARB, I'll probably increase my ride height - and I'm only just fitting into a car park that I need to get into regularly.

As for the actual hauling side of towing - the STX has the power to do it very, very capably. With the auto version, it's very smooth as well.

Latest posts

Back