Timing chain kit - Brands?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My girl is getting up to the 250 mark, from what I've been reading, I'm thinking it's time I do the chain to be safe.

I've seen kits ranging from $400 to $1400! not too fussed on double row etc, just a good quality kit.

Anyone know of decent kits for a good price that are preferably made somewhere like Japan or Taiwan even? (I don't want anything cheap Chinese).

I think I've been lucky as my D40 spent its whole life being driven from Syd to Melb multiple times a week but still weary on the chain.

I'm somewhat mechanically minded and will have my mate a mechanic help out

Several members here purchased their kits through yd25.com.au - if you're going to the trouble of replacing the chains, go the double-row kit. The uppers should be double anyway, but the lower should be single. The thing to look for is wear on the guides.

As a comparison, my car - driven fairly gently, but used to tow a 2.5T caravan for over 100,000km - has never had its timing chains even looked at until recently when a mechanic took the thing apart and thought I'd had them done recently. The car had 361,000km on it at the time, regularly serviced and things like coolant temp monitored closely at all times while driving.

Let us know how yours are when you've pulled them out!

Several members here purchased their kits through yd25.com.au - if you're going to the trouble of replacing the chains, go the double-row kit. The uppers should be double anyway, but the lower should be single. The thing to look for is wear on the guides.

As a comparison, my car - driven fairly gently, but used to tow a 2.5T caravan for over 100,000km - has never had its timing chains even looked at until recently when a mechanic took the thing apart and thought I'd had them done recently. The car had 361,000km on it at the time, regularly serviced and things like coolant temp monitored closely at all times while driving.

Let us know how yours are when you've pulled them out!

I've never had a car with 200+ on the clock before, so seeing 250 on mine was worrying me, but you've definitely quelled some fears I've had.

I installed a catch-can and so far it's still empty.

If I take off the timing cover and check the chain for stretching / tensioner movement and all is ok, can't I just replace the guides? (then again, like you said, I'm already there, might as well just do the service.

The fact that mine is a VSK makes me even more un-easy!

The fact that mine is a VSK makes me even more un-easy!

Mine's a VSK as well, I wouldn't worry as much.

You could just check the guides, but yes if you're standing in a pizza shop ordering food, you don't just want to walk out with the toppings, you want the base as well. Have a browse through that web site, have a read of what Paul's put up there. I've spoken with Paul before, he comes across as a knowledgeable (and decent) bloke.

Mine's a VSK as well, I wouldn't worry as much.

You could just check the guides, but yes if you're standing in a pizza shop ordering food, you don't just want to walk out with the toppings, you want the base as well. Have a browse through that web site, have a read of what Paul's put up there. I've spoken with Paul before, he comes across as a knowledgeable (and decent) bloke.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I'll do the whole kit, not worth doing it had arsed. With being at home, got plenty of time to do it!

I just had my old girl (2008 with 160k on the clock) checked over at Berrima Diesel. Cam chain has always worried me, but they had a D40 with 500k on the clock (and they know that it still going strong) without any cam chain issues. They put it down to regular oil changes (5,000k, filter at 10,000k) which I have always done. If you are doing regular oil changes and preventive maintenance you maybe could be jumping in too early?
What's a VSK?
Cuda.

I just had my old girl (2008 with 160k on the clock) checked over at Berrima Diesel. Cam chain has always worried me, but they had a D40 with 500k on the clock (and they know that it still going strong) without any cam chain issues. They put it down to regular oil changes (5,000k, filter at 10,000k) which I have always done. If you are doing regular oil changes and preventive maintenance you maybe could be jumping in too early?
What's a VSK?
Cuda.

Funny enough, even with 250k it has to the dot service history with Nissan in VIC and NSW!, I'm not going to stop that either, except I'll be doing Oil and Fuel filters each time.

When I bought it, it had 4000 till the next service, just to be sure I still did Oil / Fuel and Air Filter along with Castrol Edge 5-30LL whilst it was on special.

I installed a Catch-Can and knock on wood, not even a drop in there yet... I also did the EGR block.

With the next service, I'm going to do an Upper engine clean even though Nissan said they did it 30k ago.

(Side note, if you're looking to buy parts for your car, the vin is important.. even the fuel filter is different between the VSK and MNT D40's)

Thanks for that, I have always just specified Spanish Built. I have done the same and more modifications as you, my catch can get oil in it but I have always thought that it is just doing its job of separating oil and vapour?

Thanks for that, I have always just specified Spanish Built. I have done the same and more modifications as you, my catch can get oil in it but I have always thought that it is just doing its job of separating oil and vapour?

it is, if you're getting oil in it, it's doing it's job.

If you're getting too much oil in it and very quickly, that means you've got other issues you need to solve! (too much crank case pressure)

A little bit in there between services is fine.

@Phunk - I replaced my VSK's timing chain with a genuine OEM kit from magengines.com. No issues with delivery or the product, and shedloads cheaper than my local stealership

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I used. I swapped a few emails beforehand and they confirmed the kit suited my VIN.

Seemed to me that the kit fitted most models but worth checking the VIN if you go down this route as I've no idea if the kit varies by year etc.

Their water pumps and other bits can save a few $ while you're pulling the engine apart too.

I used one from these guys: ZEDperformance.co.uk seemed to be good value for a double row conversion kit, came with vacuum pump sprocket that just bolts on (some kits don't).

Back