Timing belt replacement (Standard vs upgrade)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewdy

Reaction score
I’m struggling to decipher the condition of my timing chain, my vehicle is ex-MOD and I’ve been trying (to no avail) to get the service history etc through a freedom of information request (as an aside if anyone has experience of this let me know please :)).

Im assuming the chain has never been touched though. My Nav is 10 years old but has done a modest 67k miles. I don’t have a start up rattle, my engine seems to “tick” a bit more loudly than I’d expect though. I was considering a preventative timing chain change.

Ive read a lot about the Super Duplex upgrade. Obviously it’s expensive and probably not worth it unless I have wear/stretching already diagnosed. I was considering just replacing with another standard kit, but can’t see much info.

I don’t need it to do another 100k. Even if it lasts another 3 years and 30-40k miles, it will probably be someone else’s problem by then, or even if I’m still the owner my Nav will be old and so depreciated that I won’t be too upset if the engine goes.

How much should I expect to pay for replacement with a standard kit? Every time I look it up I keep getting quotes for the upgrade rather than a standard swap.

Is this logic sound, or should I get it properly checked? Or just bite the bullet and get the upgrade?

How much should I expect to pay for replacement with a standard kit? Every time I look it up I keep getting quotes for the upgrade rather than a standard swap.

A few years ago I was quoted just over $6k by an agents service establishment and an NRMA workshop. It is not a simple case of replacing the chain up front. They also need to get to chains in the sump. The pully on the oil pump is not replaceable so that means a new pump. It is no small job by the time they get around all the bits.

Back