thud noise L/H side front and rear of vehicle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rods

Reaction score
i have bought the Nav at 125,000 kms and in the past 5 months have noticed a slow and increasing in loudness a thud on the l/H side front wheel as i thought. i have changed front shocks, bottom ball joints, control arm bushes and sway bar rubbers thinking that i would eventually get rid of it, but to no avail. it stared happening firstly when i would be going into a drive way or around a roundabout, but now it happens even travelling on a straight road, i am losing my mind and wallet with trying to pin point the issue as well as my mechanic. then sometimes i think it is coming from the rear of the vehicle, can someone HELP me please with any suggestions please. Rod.

with my old 1998 nav at 125000 and 250000 klms i had similar problems turning one way eventualy had constant noise (collapsed inner needle roller bearingin outer hub) it was my rt hand cv joint 2nd time changed , noise, once jacked up you could feel the slop if i remeber my old ute at 125000klms i would have changed top and bottum ball joints , tie rods, front lower shock bushes torsion bar bushes etc and the left handnoisy cv joint the one that always takes the pot holes on the edge of rd(changet rt hand while i was at it ) .. changed the SHORT DRIVE shaft to front drive forgot to grease it ,that was thumping. . had thump noise with worn out bottum bushes on front shocks do a visual on the ones you havnt changed.. I have constantly had to adjust the RUN OUT on the front wheel bearings at 125000 klms there is a lot of slop in there. have a loose exhaust that rattles and thumps all the time, being a farm ute i havnt done any thing about it..

I had something similar. It turned out that the sway bar link had the smallest amount of play (when you pulled on the bolt it moved in and out by about 1.5mm in the rubber bushing) that you couldn’t pick up with them in place. Good luck, unknown noises drive me nuts too.

What model are you in? I had similar problems (D22) with clunking noises especially noticeable at roundabouts, and after changing much of the front suspension (which made no difference), ended up changing the cabin mounts which fixed it.

The problem I found is you can't really tell if the mounts are good just by looking at them without removing them. It also made the ride much better (took some harshness out of it) as the old mounts were squashed down by 40-50% the height of the replacements.

hi Horatius, it is a d40 550 v6 2012 model, i had the same experiences and similar results after changing shocks, rubbers etc, the next on the list will be the cabin mounts and then go from there,

Latest posts

Back