This is my oil after my first oil change after rebuild

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The j man

Reaction score
Nissan vq40 v6
New piston rings
Honed cylinders
New bearings
New thrust washers
I know it is normal for some metal during the break in but this looks like allot
I used allot of assembly lube during the rebuild I know that can cause this in the oil but I don’t know anyone rebuilt an engine and seen this ??

Attachments

• BE8CF0FE-BF8B-42E9-9CD5-65613B742E97.png
    BE8CF0FE-BF8B-42E9-9CD5-65613B742E97.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 90
Have rebuilt motors, and had others rebuild them, but can't recall having oil look like that. That looks like water (or possibly some sort of illusion from the pic)? Which means nothing of course (I'm just another idiot here lol).

Is it running alright? Not losing water or anything?

It’s very shiny so I’m guessing it’s metal, not magnetic, I will put in some new oil and see what happens, I will let you guys know here’s a picture that should be better

this photo should be more clear

Attachments

• 654DC255-1ECC-4397-8C75-797198328571.png
    654DC255-1ECC-4397-8C75-797198328571.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 87
  • FD73B068-3170-4DB8-82E1-FE4D628DD771.jpg
    FD73B068-3170-4DB8-82E1-FE4D628DD771.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 80
this photo should be more clear

Oil shouldn't look like that.. re-build or not.

You didn't have any additives in there or anything? how did it drain - was it 'goopy' or did it just settle like that in the pan?

it could be white metal off crank or cam bearings, there is a product called proma mbl8 which costs about $35.00 which you add a little to your engine oil which will stop the bearings shedding the surface material , i have used it it works
MBL8 Concentrated Oil Additive 250mL
the company in queensland sells it , you may have to buy some other products with it which i found annoying.. this product has copper and lead in it which is what stops the wear. They also sell grease again contains copper and lead , i have used that also which is great. . do a search there is a motor bike store that sells it

Not sure if this is normal

Attachments

• 7F0B9506-AF65-4DE9-9AD0-5C47E75FA138.jpeg
    7F0B9506-AF65-4DE9-9AD0-5C47E75FA138.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • A8A09B99-243D-4FB5-B5E9-476BD1EF37F9.jpeg
    A8A09B99-243D-4FB5-B5E9-476BD1EF37F9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • 847233B1-E738-45EE-856C-35E7F7E5D5CD.jpeg
    847233B1-E738-45EE-856C-35E7F7E5D5CD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
Some further explanation could help j man. It can be vague looking at some random pics with no explanation, or of your particular concerns.

So you have it apart again obviously and these are the "new" bearing shells that are "scored" and with signs of wearing? That right?

ps. did you get the crankshaft ground as part of the rebuild, with appropriate sized bearings?

Yes, after a few km I thought I heard a knock, I ordered a clutch and it didn’t come till after I reinstalled it so I decided ile pull the engine and check the bearings and do the clutch at the same time, these are the new bearings that are in it nothing deep just the coating worn off

Well if the crank has been ground and bearings sized accordingly, it must be ok. It doesn't look good to me for various reasons (uneven), but while I have installed them, after that I have just driven the car afterwards. Never taken one apart again to know whether that type of wear is normal, or not.

So hopefully someone with a lot more experience will be along with a more knowledgeable opinion.

Well good on you for having a go. The scoring on the main journals doesn't look good and the shells on the conrods looks nasty. I'm just guessing but it would appear to be some kind of metal contamination to do that type of scouring. Things is where did it come from.

J man did you smear oil over everything when installing ?did you prime the oil filter or turn it over to pick up oil before start up ?
that’s what a motor looks like without oil... H is right very uneven wear.. did you use a tension wrench with correct specs ?

i have been caught with machined parts before expecting the the machinist would have cleaned inside oil holes and cavities when i querried them , was told that i needed to ask and pay extra for cleaning.. you need to flush all the oil lines and look for any embeded particles on shaft and cams, inside oil pump. I had a head , fine bead blasted inside the water jackets , that shit was so hard to clean out ,luckily i used a lifter to lower the large head and managed to see the crap fall out of the head. ... thats the type of wear that i stopped with promar mbl8 first did good flush then used the promar mix and it stopped the shedding.. i would actually smear a very very light coat of mbl8 dirrectly on those bearing caps

Latest posts

Back