Thai or Spanish Navara?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudguard

Reaction score
I was looking at Navara parts on ebay and some parts specify Thai and some specify Spain. How do I know which country my Navara was made in?

Have a look at the VIN - on the windscreen, or on a sticker inside one of the doors, also on your rego papers. Spanish cars start with "VSK" and Thai builds with "MNT". The Spanish cars also have an accent and come in auto and manuel.

They're model-specific. Up to 2009, the STX range except for king cab models was produced in Spain, the STX KCs and RX models were produced in Thailand. That changed in 2010 when the ST was introduced but production of the ST returned to Spain in 2011.

So if you want an RX (consider that as the entry-level in terms of appointments and price) or a King Cab (which is an STX) it'll be a Thai build. Anything else will come from Spain.

Which is better? There's a small difference in the distance between chassis rails, and some say the Thai trucks have thinner chassis rails although I haven't grabbed my vernier and measured it (I really should so this can be settled once and for all). There are wiring looms not included in the Thai trucks, like the ambient temperature sensor. Side indicators in the Thai versions are in the guards, Spanish side indicators are in the mirrors.

The Thai trucks in 2014 are still using the lower-spec 4cyl engine (126kW in the KC, and the RX gets a 106kW).

So the RX moved to Thailand in 2008 or 2009? I wonder if we should try to piece together a model build location table. I'll get that underway in a text file now, but will figure out where to put it in the forum soon.

I owned both a Thai 2010 ST and a Spain 2012 ST and while the the 2012 spain built was better in regards to the stuff it comes with ie traction control, side airbags, more KW's, climate control (painful to use) more tracks in the tray for the tie down cleats and a few other goodies the Thai truck was actually assemble better and had less little niggles like rattles and simple little issues like door handles becoming harder to open (my seven year old struggled in the end to open the back doors)
Personally i think despite all the little build issues the Spain built was better simply because of all the extras.

My '09 RX is Spain built. From what I have been told they built a hand full of upgraded RX's in Spain in '09 using the left over parts that were about to be upgraded on the ST/STX's in 2010. Mine seems to have got every thing except power mirrors, keyless entry, and a rear bar. Even the parts guy at my local Nissan dealership calls it the RX-ST.

Which is generally regarded as the better model? Quality of build, etc.

Very hard to say. Looking at the Spanish built trucks compared to mine the panel fit seems better.

The Nissan dealer told me Thai built vehicles have less warrentee issues but I say there is more Spanish trucks on the road. Only Nissan Australia would really know the stats and info they wouldn't give away in a hurry.

Have an ST-X King Cab here and the equipment levels are no where near as good as the Spain ST-X of the same era (2011). However it does have one plus, it has an SMF as opposed to the troublesome Dual Mass in the Spanish vehicles.

So the RX moved to Thailand in 2008 or 2009? I wonder if we should try to piece together a model build location table. I'll get that underway in a text file now, but will figure out where to put it in the forum soon.

Sounds Good

My '09 RX is Spain built. From what I have been told they built a hand full of upgraded RX's in Spain in '09 using the left over parts that were about to be upgraded on the ST/STX's in 2010. Mine seems to have got every thing except power mirrors, keyless entry, and a rear bar. Even the parts guy at my local Nissan dealership calls it the RX-ST.

Yeah RX-ST sounds like a good name. LOL

I was looking at Navara parts on ebay and some parts specify Thai and some specify Spain. How do I know which country my Navara was made in?

A quick way to identify a Thai or Spain is the radio aerial. The Spain has it on the roof whereas the Thai has it on the left hand bottom corner in front of the windscreen. Also the Spain has the side turn indicators in the outside mirrors whereas the Thai has them on the fenders.

So if you want an RX (consider that as the entry-level in terms of appointments and price) or a King Cab (which is an STX) it'll be a Thai build. Anything else will come from Spain.

The Thai trucks in 2014 are still using the lower-spec 4cyl engine (126kW in the KC, and the RX gets a 106kW).

Yes the RX was the "poverty pack" entry level but at least it comes with cruise control. The RX has a detuned 106Kw engine, manual outside mirrors, narrower flares on the fenders and vinyl flooring.

It was easy for me to upgrade to the same appointments as my friends Thai space cab STX as parts are readily available from the wreckers/breaking yards. After hitting a roo and damaging both front fenders I took the opportunity to enhance my RX. For those interested I did the following:

I easily found a white Thai built dual cab at the wreckers and bought the following for $425:

both fenders with the wider "normal" looking flares​
both door wiring harnesses which included the additional cable and connectors for the mirrors.​
both colour coded outside power mirrors.​
Four way mirror switch.​
Swapping those parts was easy and I kept my vinyl flooring as it's more practical in a 4wd. The wiring for the mirrors exists in the cab so it's as easy as installing the other harness, four way switch and mirrors and they work.

Then later on I bought a "security set" from another wrecker which comprises the ECU, BCM, IMMO and ignition barrel/immobiliser from another dual cab for $220. This upgraded my power to 126Kw output in the dual cab. I swapped out my original ignition barrel into the other so I could use the same keys and recoded the immobiliser with the Autel MaxiAP AP200.

If you don't mind having different keys for the door/glove box and ignition then you won't need to code any keys.

Here's an example of a security set with the door locks included:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334485715896?hash=item4de0e6fbb8:g:sRQAAOSwsNtg01Py

Last edited:
A quick way to identify a Thai or Spain is the radio aerial. The Spain has it on the roof whereas the Thai has it on the left hand bottom corner in front of the windscreen. Also the Spain has the side turn indicators in the outside mirrors whereas the Thai has them on the fenders.
Hi folks, I’m now confused. I took a photo however can’t upload it. My aerial is on the roof (front and centre 😉), yet my blinkers are in the front mudguards. I’m not sure if I should call him ‘Manuel’ or ‘Pad Thai?’

Hi folks, I’m now confused. I took a photo however can’t upload it. My aerial is on the roof (front and centre 😉), yet my blinkers are in the front mudguards. I’m not sure if I should call him ‘Manuel’ or ‘Pad Thai?’
Mine is 2007 and is Spanish built with the aerial on the roof with blinkers on the fenders.

Back