Tailgate load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus28

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting a Navara, with the wife blessing, hurrah. I want to replace my Kadjar and possibly my trailer. I use the trailer for taking garden waste and cut down trees and junk to the tip. I all so want it for holidays for storage etc as my wife and daughter seem to fill every available space with luggage. Occasionally I take my lawn tractor to be serviced, it's slightly longer than the load space on the double cab (king cab too small seat wise for 5 adults which I need) by about 15cms.
So two questions, will the tailgate take being loaded with 185KG of lawn tractor and being driven (tractor suitably restrained) with the tailgate down and will I be able to get it up there in the first place using metal ramps?
Cheers

I'm not certain. The two cables that hold the tailgate in position are certainly quite strong, but you're not talking about two adult males standing on the tailgate. You're talking about a dynamic (moving) load.

However - and this should help - I've stood on my tailgate (100kg) without any problem and if you reverse the tractor onto the ute the main weight should be at the front of the tub (which is good, in front of the axles). The actual weight on the tailgate should be south of 90kg, and possibly far enough south to avoid problems.

Thanks for the reply. Checking the wheelbase I have no issue when it's up there, just getting it on over the tailgate concerns me.

I used to supervise a commercial grounds crew; no way I'd even consider it TBH. Getting it on & off would be too dangerous! Keep the trailer.

I have carried a lawn tractor in the tub with the tailgate down a few times.
No issues with the tailgate taking the weight as you load it.
However getting it up there safely is a challenge. Normal ramps are way too short, and the angle means it will ground on the mower deck.
You can buy ramps for this purpose, they are longer and have a rise in the middle to accommodate the loading angle. They are expensive!

Latest posts

Back