Suspension and steering refresh

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richNAV

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just acquired an 01 D22 4wd with 200k’s and want to upgrade the suspension.

I’m not interested in a lift kit since I don’t do enough off roading but I was thinking to fit all new bushes and ball joints and new shock absorbers.

Am I better off sticking with genuine Nissan parts or are there better aftermarket options, perhaps there’s a link to another post someone can share with all the bits I need.

Ta,
Rich

aftermarket only.
nissan prices are a rip off and there is better after market shocks than factory.
one thing to check is if the rear springs have sagged.
most D22's have issues with the rear springs. fixing that typically gives a 2" lift.

aftermarket only.
nissan prices are a rip off and there is better after market shocks than factory.
one thing to check is if the rear springs have sagged.
most D22's have issues with the rear springs. fixing that typically gives a 2" lift.

Thanks buddy I’m working with a local mechanic so will get him to take a look at the rear. Is there any brands of parts you’d recommend or is there an old post you know of which would have a shopping list of parts for this kind of refresh? Ta, Rich

I just had my second set of leaf springs on my 2011 D40 fitted and went with Ironman replacing Kings [both good springs]that had worn out due to carrying a constant load [tradie] definitely go with aftermarket. Your suspension will depend on what the truck is being used for, mine is perfect for carrying all that gear but when empty it is way too hard and feels every little bump. I went with Bilstein shocks, and air bags. If it's just to drive to work and back you may want to go with a softer suspension.

Thanks for the replies folks I’ve done a lot more reading up and got a better idea now...

The truck is a bit of an all rounder tbh I use it for City trips on the highway mostly but also carting farm supplies around which weigh up to a ton and occasional towing. No extreme off-roading.

It’s on stock suspension atm with 200k on the clock and the shocks are done. So I will replace those and then just a matter of the rear leaf springs and components, add an extra leaf or go with a new aftermarket stack. I’d prefer a softer ride and budget is a bit tight as there’s other fixes need doing.

Appreciate any other suggestions 👍🏼

Hey Folks,

I’m not interested in a lift kit since I don’t do enough off roading but I was thinking to fit all new bushes and ball joints and new shock absorbers.

Am I better off sticking with genuine Nissan parts or are there better aftermarket options, perhaps there’s a link to another post someone can share with all the bits I need.

Ta,
Rich
Wouldn't bother getting mechanic to change c/a ball joints or steering joints unless there is definitely something wrong with them. Otherwise you'll probably just end up having them replaced with ones of lesser quality for no reason. Genuine ones are good quality but afaik are expensive.

Good quality aftermarket shockies and rear springs are the go. As others have said the factory rear springs sag and shockies are rubbish.

Wouldn't bother getting mechanic to change c/a ball joints or steering joints unless there is definitely something wrong with them. Otherwise you'll probably just end up having them replaced with ones of lesser quality for no reason. Genuine ones are good quality but afaik are expensive.

Good quality aftermarket shockies and rear springs are the go. As others have said the factory rear springs sag and shockies are rubbish.

Yeah that’s it I’m trying to narrow it down as there’s a lot of choice, but something wallet friendly and softish ride 👍🏼

Yeah that’s it I’m trying to narrow it down as there’s a lot of choice, but something wallet friendly and softish ride 👍🏼
With most of the good aftermarket rear springs you'll probably get a lift of about 40mm or so, then it's a matter of winding the front up as well. This might be useful if you're going to be carrying heavy weight regularly, even if you don't go off road. With old stock springs you might bottom out over bumps with weight in it and they're uncomfortable anyway.

It's not really a big lift and doesn't look OTT at all, but gives plenty of margin to carry the weight and like most utes, they usually ride better with some sort of load in the back. They still ride ok empty as well, you can get softer "comfort" springs if that's what you want.

With a reasonable set of shockies all round that's probably your best/cheapest option. It's easy to install and makes a big difference to the ride.

ps. These are good quality shockies manufactured in Japan. I put a set of their off road ones on with some h/d EFS leafs and they have been more than acceptable, excellent in fact. There are better shockies on the market, but I found were around double (or triple) the price. They make the oem shockies that most (notionally) Japanese cars are sold with anyway.

There are plenty of brands and spring/shockie combinations to choose from though, it might be worth talking it over with your mechanic to get the ride you're after.

https://www.kyb.com.au/product

Thanks @Horatius yeah I think a small lift would be good as I do carry weight fairly often, as long as doesn’t look OTT 👍🏼 Most of my k’s are highway so don’t want it too bumpy on the road that’s all and I don’t do much off-roading so I figured the Comfort option. I’m looking at a used EFS 45mm lift kit (150kg constant load) at the moment just inquiring on the shocks ratings...

I just installed a Tough Dog 40mm lift upgrade, the kit came with all the suspension components and I replaced the bushes with poly ones. The lift actually made the vehicle sit and look better.
As I plan to put drawers and accessories in the back as well as towing I went for the harder ride, a bit of a nuisance around the carparks but when towing the caravan sits and rides well.
At about $1500 delivered to nearest dealer, they aren't the cheapest but talking to the local guys they came up with the best overall bang for buck.

I think I will speak to Zordo about a budget suspension setup since I don’t do much off-roading.

I’m wondering where everyone buys there bushes and ball joints and other things like sway bar, tie roads etc I seen online auto parts mentioned somewhere...

Howdy, i buy from every where! Buy good though! Genuine from importers and good oem aftermarket localy..

Big wrap for Fulcrum atm! Ordered Complete L.C.A and Inner Rear Bush kit two days ago, ready at post office today for pick up!
Drag link was 4x4 Shed, at post office in 3 days!
Partsouq sent boots and hardware the day ordered from Dubai importers!

I'm about to do mine also, been holding out on a front wheel bearing repack untill I do this next job in preparation for W.A babyyy ;) Rotors off etc then R/R L.C.A..
L.C.A kit from Fulcrum, new arms with Superpro bush and H.D Lower Ball Joint $350 for BOTH!

The torsion bars have to come out to get to the inner rear l.c.a bush and pin, and I can't see how you can get to the lower ball joint without pulling the c.v's!
May as well R/R Wheel Bearings and re pack the needle bearings for the c.v ends whilst its all apart, I say:)

Fulcrum! Shop there, just found them and I'm going to propose marriage, I love'em! That was a 24hr delivery, spoke and ordered in the morning, parts at post office end of next day! Startrack and Aust Post, well done!

Howdy, i buy from every where! Buy good though! Genuine from importers and good oem aftermarket localy..

Big wrap for Fulcrum atm! Ordered Complete L.C.A and Inner Rear Bush kit two days ago, ready at post office today for pick up!
Drag link was 4x4 Shed, at post office in 3 days!
Partsouq sent boots and hardware the day ordered from Dubai importers!

I'm about to do mine also, been holding out on a front wheel bearing repack untill I do this next job in preparation for W.A babyyy ;) Rotors off etc then R/R L.C.A..
L.C.A kit from Fulcrum, new arms with Superpro bush and H.D Lower Ball Joint $350 for BOTH!

The torsion bars have to come out to get to the inner rear l.c.a bush and pin, and I can't see how you can get to the lower ball joint without pulling the c.v's!
May as well R/R Wheel Bearings and re pack the needle bearings for the c.v ends whilst its all apart, I say:)

Fulcrum! Shop there, just found them and I'm going to propose marriage, I love'em! That was a 24hr delivery, spoke and ordered in the morning, parts at post office end of next day! Startrack and Aust Post, well done!

Sounds good buddy . . . are you back in Central Vic?

I'm only looking to do a stock refresh really since I don't do much proper off-roading its just a farm Ute essentially.

Would be great if there were a shopping list somewhere on the forum of all the parts/part numbers needed to do a full steering/suspension refresh.

Just starting to form a list and hoping to order it all from the one stockist maybe online auto parts . . .

Sounds good buddy . . . are you back in Central Vic?

I'm only looking to do a stock refresh really since I don't do much proper off-roading its just a farm Ute essentially.

Would be great if there were a shopping list somewhere on the forum of all the parts/part numbers needed to do a full steering/suspension refresh.

Just starting to form a list and hoping to order it all from the one stockist maybe online auto parts . . .
Yes mate, back of Maryborough a.t.m!

Ha, the nav would be in its element on the farm, drift much ;) I would lol I went to Noojee a while back and played in a paddock for a few days! Great fun!

P.M me your Vin and I'll do a parts list for you ...

Funny thing about car parts - one outlet will stock one item dirt cheap, but other items extremely overpriced and a competing outlet will have the pricepoints switched around. Definitely pays to compare many different places. There can be good savings to be had even having to take multiple postage sums into account. Out of lockdown and close to competing outlets, the cost of a little fuel pales in comparison to the savings made by dropping into all three suppliers near me when putting parts together for a bigger job like a full suspension refresh.

i have used after market parts cv joints and other steering parts, not good were 2 parts from fleebest?? alternator cluch pulley had to modify spacer,, tail shaft centre bearing supposed to be one piece separated straight away

i have used after market parts cv joints and other steering parts, not good were 2 parts from fleebest?? alternator cluch pulley had to modify spacer,, tail shaft centre bearing supposed to be one piece separated straight away
Yeah so febest know about that centre bearing issue by now! I went through 2 one after the other! Swines!

Latest posts

Back