STX 550 Catch Can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Berry

Reaction score
Hello every one i,m am going to fit a catch can to my STX550 and want to have all the bits ready before i start. Have the provent 200 can am hoping some one can tell what size pipe is on the pcv valve have conflicting information some say 5/8 (16mm) and some say 3/4 (19mm) i know its a bit of a tricky job so want to make sure i have the right size pipe and fittings before i start .
Cheers Steve

Hello every one i,m am going to fit a catch can to my STX550 and want to have all the bits ready before i start. Have the provent 200 can am hoping some one can tell what size pipe is on the pcv valve have conflicting information some say 5/8 (16mm) and some say 3/4 (19mm) i know its a bit of a tricky job so want to make sure i have the right size pipe and fittings before i start .
Cheers Steve
Did you buy just the Catch can or the full kit as every thing is supplied including all hoses clamps drain tap .
Go on Utube and type in you car and model to fit a Provent catch can there is a wealth of knowledge on how to fit ,

137C19A4-14B4-4507-BB01-5B60301A91EC.jpeg
3A2EDA0C-669F-4785-9F57-A9B42E4E280E.jpeg
B4381D90-44C5-420A-8EEC-E1CDBBDF0035.jpeg
137C19A4-14B4-4507-BB01-5B60301A91EC.jpeg

Thank you Amber.2 but Provent dont do a kit for the STX550 HPD do but the replace the PCV valve with there own unit and a 19mm fitting i am hoping to hear from someone who fitted a catch can using original components and that would know what size inside dia the pipe that runs from the PCV valve to engine is .
Cheers Steve

The hose is the same size as the outlet / inlet. On the catch can. The valve stays in the original position as hose connects to to that. With a clamp.

You might need an adapter from 25mm to fit the 19mm the hoses on mine have been stretched from the 19 to 25mm at the catchcan, as there is no actual pressure in the hoses only suction ,you might only need a small section of the 25 and insert the 19 into it ?

Cheers Steve
I fitted a generic ProVent 200 Catch Can to my V9x. It is 19 mm. I used a silicon 19mm elbow from the PCV junction at back of motor and used 19mm rubber hose to the ProVent, add junction 19mm to 25mm and short piece of 25mm Hose to fit Provent. It requires a lot of patience to fit the elbow and remove the parts above the turbo to get to it. There was some good help on the web and methods used. Been running clean now for 18 months, Worth doing - Good Luck with yours.

I fitted a generic ProVent 200 Catch Can to my V9x. It is 19 mm. I used a silicon 19mm elbow from the PCV junction at back of motor and used 19mm rubber hose to the ProVent, add junction 19mm to 25mm and short piece of 25mm Hose to fit Provent. It requires a lot of patience to fit the elbow and remove the parts above the turbo to get to it. There was some good help on the web and methods used. Been running clean now for 18 months, Worth doing - Good Luck with yours.
Thanks for the info mate now i know i have the right pipe ill get into it cheers steve

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but better then to start a new one on the same subject.
Steve, how did you go fitting the pro vent?
I’m looking into getting a catch can fitted to my 550, after a bit of research found that the general consensus is the pro vent is one of the better cans on the market. However, I have since found, no diesel mechanic will fit one, I’ve contacted 5 well known shops, including a shop that’s a pro vent dealer. And I paid a visit to Western Filters (to buy a pro vent) and was essentially talked out of it. I’m being led to believe it’s a big job and not cost effective. This makes me nervous to tackle it myself and literally no mechanic will fit one. They will only fit the HPD.
There is a custom bracket that comes in the HPD kit which I am being told is essential to fitting the can and it is extremely difficult without it.
Obviously pro vent do not make this bracket as they don’t make a kit for the 550.
What do I do?

I am mechanically minded, done a fair bit of work to previous cars myself, but as I’m getting older I’m more incline to take a step back and let someone else do it. Lol
I was considering doing it myself but as I said, was kind of scared off by two of the people I spoke with, one mechanic, who fitted a pro vent on a 550 said he would never do it again, and the guys from western filters were like, well we,ve heard it’s hard, I’ll sell you our universal kit, but then it’s on you? Lol

How old are you im 64 and did mine last year could go any where so did it took me about 5 hours because had never done one before

I’m probably just being lazy, I’m going to be doing the intercooler myself, so will probably do the catch can at the same time.
Is there any issue with running the catch can with the PCV in place? Or should the PCV valve be removed when running the catch can?
And if I keep the factory PCV valve, should I replace it while doing this, since it will be off anyway?

And I’ve just been thrown off by having diesel mechanics tell me this can’t be done. From what I’ve seen, (I’ve watched a video on YouTube of installation of the HPD catch can), doesn’t seem too hard? From what I can understand, the pro vent installation should be pretty much exactly the same? Or am I missing something here?

Its much the same what i did was turn the factory pipe thats from pcv to engine around and use a joiner to conect to the pie that runs to the provent and the other pipe strait from the engine to the provent just make sure you conect the pipes the right way around

Ok, thank you for the information, so the measurements given earlier in the post are correct? Factory connections are 19mm and the pro vent is 25mm

I think the reluctance to install the catch can is due to the limited space in the STX550's engine bay. The V9X is a relatively large motor.

However, the catch can is actually a very simple device. There's a hose that runs from the PCV on the engine to the air intake in front of the turbocharger. The catch can sits in this hose, intercepting the flow. The idea is to remove the oil vapour from the flow so that it doesn't enter the intercooler or the engine.

This will not be 100% effective. It's made less effective by having the catch can inside the engine bay - mounting it out in the cool air (in front of the intercooler) makes it more efficient but requires additional tubing.

But essentially, that's all it is. It's an empty can sitting in the middle of a hose with a tap on the bottom to drain the caught oil.

Latest posts

Back