STX 550 hardwiring aftermarket camera

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's connected as follows:

Video -> 2 wires -> directly into car and up to head unit for the "Camera Input"
Black wire -> earth
Red wire -> Reversing light in left hand tail light.

I didn't do that - the dealer did prior to delivery - but it makes sense.

I found this might be useful

16850621592588600198929632683277.jpg

As with the above posts, I got an aftermarket camera that cost about $30, comes with an RCA cable that also has the trigger wire in the same sheath.

Camera gets + and - from the reverse globe wiring in the rear lights, and the trigger wire that is in the RCA cable also goes to the + of the reverse light.

From there when you get it to the stereo, the RCA goes into the Video input of the deck you have and will usually be labelled as 'reverse' or something similar, and the trigger wire will also go to a wire labelled similar.

When you put the car in reverse, it will power the camera and send a 12v trigger to the stereo to change input to show the reverse input.

---

Funny story, I mounted my camera within the bumper at the back to the left of the license plate as I wanted a clear view of my tow bar.

I failed to remember that the license plate lights are there as well and at night it washes the image out.

So... I wired up a relay that when the car is in reverse it turns off the 1 license plate light so it doesn't wash out my image.

I bought a kit from Supershit auto, made by Gator.

I ran the video cable and the trigger wire along existing wiring on the d/s chassis rail & up thru an existing hole in the floor pan.
The camera is on a bracket inside the tailgate and it pokes through a hole in the black plastic section.
The trigger wire is spliced into the d/s reversing light wire.
Power runs from the ciggie lighter socket back, up and around to the rear view mirror mounted screen. When I get time I'd like to change the power source to ignition switched.
By far the hardest part was mounting the camera exactly in the right spot & making the bracket fit inside the tailgate. Heaps of dicking around!

It's a really, really good little camera. Has great clarity (when it's not covered in dirt) and good night vision. And you can tilt the FoV from looking down at the hitch and then back up to a wide angle of everything, just by swiping the touchscreen up & down.

My old man's D40 has a factory reversing camera for the stock head unit. When we swapped his tub for a tray it was as simple as unplugging the camera at the back & tucking the loom outta the way. From memory, the plug for the camera was a small two pin, weather proof deutsche style.

Sounds like your Nav has the factory camera wiring? So it might be as easy as plugging the new one in & then mounting it?
Worse case would be you have to cut off an incompatible connector & solder or crimp a new one on??

As with the above posts, I got an aftermarket camera that cost about $30, comes with an RCA cable that also has the trigger wire in the same sheath.

Camera gets + and - from the reverse globe wiring in the rear lights, and the trigger wire that is in the RCA cable also goes to the + of the reverse light.

From there when you get it to the stereo, the RCA goes into the Video input of the deck you have and will usually be labelled as 'reverse' or something similar, and the trigger wire will also go to a wire labelled similar.

When you put the car in reverse, it will power the camera and send a 12v trigger to the stereo to change input to show the reverse input.

---

Funny story, I mounted my camera within the bumper at the back to the left of the license plate as I wanted a clear view of my tow bar.

I failed to remember that the license plate lights are there as well and at night it washes the image out.

So... I wired up a relay that when the car is in reverse it turns off the 1 license plate light so it doesn't wash out my image.
LOL - I did the exact same thing a couple of months ago! Huge Difference.
Mine is mounted centrally above the number plate so I have both number plate lights turning off.

LOL - I did the exact same thing a couple of months ago! Huge Difference.
Mine is mounted centrally above the number plate so I have both number plate lights turning off.
Looks like we both learnt the hard way!

One thing we can both vouch for is that drilling the bumper ain't much fun.

Latest posts

Back