STX-550 Engine Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerrySTX-550

Reaction score
I recently had my STX-550 serviced by Nissan and I asked what engine oil they used because I did the previous oil change myself and used Penrite C-4 Full Synthetic 5W-30 which is a lo ash oil designed for Vehicle's with the Diesel pacific filters and this Oil was not Cheap. Anyway they use Castrol Magnatec? I would Love to know if the oil they are using is OK because I have just had my EGR Valve replaced after three trips to Nissan because the Engine Management light kept coming on? Luckily still under warranty. Any info would be much appreciated.

Luckily your 550 doesn't have the dreaded Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). You'll get away with Magnatec - although the synthetic oil is better, the Magnatec won't do any harm.

The engine oil gets combusted after being drawn through the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. Look on the top of the engine for a hose that connects the camshaft cover to the air intake just in front of the turbocharger (the suction side, NOT the pressure side). You could avoid much of the entire issue by intercepting this line and feeding the line out to a catch can to grab (most of) the oil.

Thanks Tony for the Info. I am going to change the oil back to Penrite C-4 Full Synthetic 5W-30 anyway, because I am sure she runs smoother with this oil.

Cheers Mate

egr valve and smoking stx 550

Hi Jerrystx I got some oil for my 550 and the dealer gave me the genuine nissan 5w-30 fully synthetic, said dont use anything else. I have no idea as am techically challenged in the mechanical dept. Only wanted some for spare on trips.

You mentioned a failed egr valve. I have noticed more smoking from mine when cruising than usual. Intermittant which would mean from the egr valve working but sometimes when up hill and accellorating it blows a fair bit of dark smoke and just isnt as powerfull as usual. Do any other 550 owner experience any of this? Would like to hear.

Mine has done 30000 ks now and I have had heaps of cars but this thing is the best. I also tow a 23 ft full van and it just loves it. Thanks.

Psarge

The C4 low ash oil enables you to run the 20000k oil change intervals. Anything lower grade and you should be back on the 10000k interval. Official.

Latest posts

Back