Stuck in park

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat73

Reaction score
Hi. I have an 07, D40 petrol, automatic. I've been having trouble lately with not being able to push the button in to get it out of park. In order to get it to release, I have to wiggle the lever around until in does, but it seems to be getting worse. What would be the issue and how can I fix it please. And yes the brake is also engaged. Its driving me insane. Thnx

You might need to get it to an auto transmission place to have them check the gearbox. The parking pawl is a small pin that fits in a slot to stop the output shaft from turning. A mistake that many people make is to engage park, let the car rest on the pawl, and then pull on the handbrake. This puts pressure on the pawl which, over time, can cause the end to burr or bend, making engaging/disengaging more difficult as time goes on.

perhaps faulty brake switch, does it have 2 switches at the pedal.switch at base of park lever may be out of adjustement or faulty. if brake fuse is blown then it would be permantly stuck in park.

I took it to a mechanic and the brake switches were both cleaned and checked. Wasn't the problem. Could possibly be a solenoid. Ive had to start using the little park lock button that they use for towing.
Will need to go back to mechanic another day. But thank you for your help. Much appreciated 😊

Hi Kat73

I have copied a previous post of mine in regard to auto shift out of park problem.
Old Tony's post re parking pawl is correct but you say the problem is intermittent & wiggling the shift
You can hear the release solenoid operate if you try with the ignition on but engine off.
Try to determine if it is a mechanical (pawl damage) or electrical problem.

My drive is a 2010 550 TI Pathfinder & I had the same symptom as you.

I would suspect that Nissan are using basically the same circuitry / operation mentality across all their auto fleet ie. power control (foot operated brake switch) a solenoid to release the shift lever & a shift lever position switch.

The circuit starts at a fuse supplying power to a brake pedal operated switch. There are usually two brake pedal switches, one for brake lights, one for shift control & I think as well, cruise control disengage.

With your foot on the brake, power is then supplied to a "Park position switch" which is located in the shift selector assy.next to the release solenoid i.e. you must be in "Park" to allow the release solenoid to receive power.

Without a "park" position switch, the release solenoid would needlessly operate every time the brake pedal is depressed.

So, back to the circuit. Ignition on, power is supplied from the fuse to the brake switch, then to the shift release solenoid via the park position switch & then to ground (earth).

Solenoid & park position switch are both in the shift assy.

I am assuming that you or someone you know can drive a multimeter.

With ignition on, you should have power going to the brake switch.
Operate the brake switch, you should have power on the output side of the brake switch.
If above ok, you will need to access the shift mechanism.
I cannot advise on D40 centre consul shift mechanism access.
There will be a electrical disconnect connector for the solenoid & park position switch assy.
With the connector removed, power should be seen on the removed plug ( on the plug, not the receptacle) with ignition on, in "Park" & foot on brake.
Use your meter by connecting to both contacts in the plug, this will confirm the ground (earth) circuit as well.
If power is at the removed connector (ignition on, park, foot on brake) you now have to determine if the solenoid or park position switch are ok.
With your multimeter set to measure resistance, connect the meter to the electrical receptacle side of the shift mechanism assy connector. In park, you should read approx. 30 ohms.
If you are seeing an open circuit ie infinity, while still monitoring the meter, try moving the shift lever in & out of the park position by utilising the override button.
This will exercise the park position switch, the solenoid is dormant, if you obtain a reading (approx. 30 ohms) your problem is the switch. If no reading can be obtained, you will need to isolate the solenoid & switch to determine the culprit.

This will involve removing the solenoid & switch sub assy, bit tricky but very do able.
On installation of the sub assy, be careful of the park switch actuating arm.

Nissan did not have replacement parts for my shift mechanism, neither solenoid or park switch.

They could sell me a new shift assy for $800!!!!!

I found a genuine Nissan solenoid in Japan, $120 delivered & the park position micro switch (identical part number) locally for about $10 (Element 14).
My problem ended up being the park position switch, but I also had to replace the solenoid as I damaged it trying to test it for operation by hot wiring it, but did not realise their is a diode across the solenoid positive & negative conntacts & inadvertently powered it incorrectly & blew the diode!

Hope this helps.

Benno

Hi Kat73

I have copied a previous post of mine in regard to auto shift out of park problem.
Old Tony's post re parking pawl is correct but you say the problem is intermittent & wiggling the shift
You can hear the release solenoid operate if you try with the ignition on but engine off.
Try to determine if it is a mechanical (pawl damage) or electrical problem.

My drive is a 2010 550 TI Pathfinder & I had the same symptom as you.

I would suspect that Nissan are using basically the same circuitry / operation mentality across all their auto fleet ie. power control (foot operated brake switch) a solenoid to release the shift lever & a shift lever position switch.

The circuit starts at a fuse supplying power to a brake pedal operated switch. There are usually two brake pedal switches, one for brake lights, one for shift control & I think as well, cruise control disengage.

With your foot on the brake, power is then supplied to a "Park position switch" which is located in the shift selector assy.next to the release solenoid i.e. you must be in "Park" to allow the release solenoid to receive power.

Without a "park" position switch, the release solenoid would needlessly operate every time the brake pedal is depressed.

So, back to the circuit. Ignition on, power is supplied from the fuse to the brake switch, then to the shift release solenoid via the park position switch & then to ground (earth).

Solenoid & park position switch are both in the shift assy.

I am assuming that you or someone you know can drive a multimeter.

With ignition on, you should have power going to the brake switch.
Operate the brake switch, you should have power on the output side of the brake switch.
If above ok, you will need to access the shift mechanism.
I cannot advise on D40 centre consul shift mechanism access.
There will be a electrical disconnect connector for the solenoid & park position switch assy.
With the connector removed, power should be seen on the removed plug ( on the plug, not the receptacle) with ignition on, in "Park" & foot on brake.
Use your meter by connecting to both contacts in the plug, this will confirm the ground (earth) circuit as well.
If power is at the removed connector (ignition on, park, foot on brake) you now have to determine if the solenoid or park position switch are ok.
With your multimeter set to measure resistance, connect the meter to the electrical receptacle side of the shift mechanism assy connector. In park, you should read approx. 30 ohms.
If you are seeing an open circuit ie infinity, while still monitoring the meter, try moving the shift lever in & out of the park position by utilising the override button.
This will exercise the park position switch, the solenoid is dormant, if you obtain a reading (approx. 30 ohms) your problem is the switch. If no reading can be obtained, you will need to isolate the solenoid & switch to determine the culprit.

This will involve removing the solenoid & switch sub assy, bit tricky but very do able.
On installation of the sub assy, be careful of the park switch actuating arm.

Nissan did not have replacement parts for my shift mechanism, neither solenoid or park switch.

They could sell me a new shift assy for $800!!!!!

I found a genuine Nissan solenoid in Japan, $120 delivered & the park position micro switch (identical part number) locally for about $10 (Element 14).
My problem ended up being the park position switch, but I also had to replace the solenoid as I damaged it trying to test it for operation by hot wiring it, but did not realise their is a diode across the solenoid positive & negative conntacts & inadvertently powered it incorrectly & blew the diode!

Hope this helps.

Benno
Thanks for that Benno. I will definitely get that checked out.

Latest posts

Back