Stuck in gear auto V9X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fivefivezero

Reaction score
Hi all,
Had an issue today for the 2nd time, driving on the freeway, where it seemed I was stuck in one gear? Thats what it feels like to me.
When i put my foot down there was no change in gear or acceleration, it was topping out at about 2000rpm 100kms hr max, i couldnt set the cruise control, it just flashed.
So i pulled over, put it in park and it would not rev over 2.5 revs.
Drove off again same thing.
Pulled over again, this time turned off the engine for a moment, restarted and she was sweet, back to normal?
I noticed that when it started I was going up a slight incline (joined the freeway at campbelltown heading south)
Does anyone know what might be happening?

Not being able to set the cruise control would imply that there's an inhibition to this: usually it's a brake switch (they're easy to remove, clean and reassemble). They don't have any effect on the engine revs though - that's sounding like either the TCM/ECU thinking you're in neutral, or the engine's got a limp mode happening. Possibly an overboost triggering it? Hard to say without more info. It might even just be an SCV. Probably not these so much given the gearbox's reluctance to change. That sounds more like the gearbox needs a service (which might fix the limp mode issue, if the gearbox is picking up some debris or lack of flow or something).

So, how long since the 'box has had anyone look at it?

Not being able to set the cruise control would imply that there's an inhibition to this: usually it's a brake switch (they're easy to remove, clean and reassemble). They don't have any effect on the engine revs though - that's sounding like either the TCM/ECU thinking you're in neutral, or the engine's got a limp mode happening. Possibly an overboost triggering it? Hard to say without more info. It might even just be an SCV. Probably not these so much given the gearbox's reluctance to change. That sounds more like the gearbox needs a service (which might fix the limp mode issue, if the gearbox is picking up some debris or lack of flow or something).

So, how long since the 'box has had anyone look at it?
Hi Old.Tony,
Well i had a 10k service done about 6 weeks ago, bit cant say they looked at the transmission specifically, just changed the oil im guessing.
What is overboost? You mean the turbo playing up?
SCV and is it serious?
Damm am going out to Dubbo on the weekend, now I'm worried.

Hi fivefivezero. I had a similar fault with mine recently exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the boost control valve. A simple way of checking is to take both vacuum hoses from the bottom of the boost control valve while it is idling and touch join them together and see if you hear a change in the engine note. You can't leave them together as it won't be any good as the revs get higher.
You may have noticed that your vehicle exhaust note sounds a little more drummy than usual and that indicates that it is not getting the boost that it should at lower revs.
You may also have noticed that it was not getting any good pull in its lower revs until it got to approximately 2500rpm and then seemed to go well.
This is because the vacuum is not controlling the Geometry in the turbo and hence not spooling the turbine at the lower revs like it should.
Mine only did it every now and again but got more frequent until it got to the stage it would come on within about 30 seconds of driving.
Genuine part is available on eBay for about $275 and they fix the problem in a flash I did buy a boost sensor as well but have not needed to put that on.
Because it is a super easy and cheap diagnostic test I would suggest you give it a go before you delve deeper.
Good luck

Definitely very easy to replace. 2 minutes to change or test.
I have attached a photo for reference.
To test disconnect the 2 hoses at the bottom and touch join them
20220525_154149.jpg

I like @Olpha 's suggestion - definitely worth trying first!

Overboost - turbocharger is commanded to produce more boost than it should for the given amount of fuel. You shouldn't see any smoke, but may get a CEL light up.

Your 10,000km service very likely didn't go anywhere near the transmission - it's actually not something they service often (if at all). I ask because checking the fluid may reveal milkiness in the oil, which would indicate contamination, which would be a cause of the gearbox not responding readily.

But try those vac hoses first.

Ok so i tried the vac hoses this morning.
When i touched them together there was a small change in the engine note. Maybe its more pronounced when the engine is warmed up thoroughly?

I've been hearing a buzzing noise in the cabin, usually just after starting the engine, i didnt know what it was until i had the bonnet open and my hand on the BCV, it was vibrating and making the buzzing sound! The bracket was a bit loose to and probably bouncing around alot when driving also.
So its probably cactus!?

I like @Olpha 's suggestion - definitely worth trying first!

Overboost - turbocharger is commanded to produce more boost than it should for the given amount of fuel. You shouldn't see any smoke, but may get a CEL light up.

Your 10,000km service very likely didn't go anywhere near the transmission - it's actually not something they service often (if at all). I ask because checking the fluid may reveal milkiness in the oil, which would indicate contamination, which would be a cause of the gearbox not responding readily.

But try those vac hoses first.
After changing out the BCV, im still getting the same issue(although i no longer get the buzzing sound,,thats a win)
So its randomly(it seems) going into limp mode. 2k revs and no throttle response.
This morning it happened while in cruise control going up a large hill on the freeway. Kicked me out of cruise. Pulled over and restarted.
I dont have a diagnostic tool,Before i take it to a mechanic, i will buy one and check the codes.
What a learning experience.
Can anyone advise a basic tool to buy? Something like this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3841560...4emtqkiTJO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I use an app on my phone and a $5 bluetooth OBD-II (ELM327) adapter. It only reads standard primary codes, won't interrogate the auto transmission or body control module.
Thanks Old.Tony, just saw some of those also. Will get one.

Hi fivefivezero. I had a similar fault with mine recently exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the boost control valve. A simple way of checking is to take both vacuum hoses from the bottom of the boost control valve while it is idling and touch join them together and see if you hear a change in the engine note. You can't leave them together as it won't be any good as the revs get higher.
You may have noticed that your vehicle exhaust note sounds a little more drummy than usual and that indicates that it is not getting the boost that it should at lower revs.
You may also have noticed that it was not getting any good pull in its lower revs until it got to approximately 2500rpm and then seemed to go well.
This is because the vacuum is not controlling the Geometry in the turbo and hence not spooling the turbine at the lower revs like it should.
Mine only did it every now and again but got more frequent until it got to the stage it would come on within about 30 seconds of driving.
Genuine part is available on eBay for about $275 and they fix the problem in a flash I did buy a boost sensor as well but have not needed to put that on.
Because it is a super easy and cheap diagnostic test I would suggest you give it a go before you delve deeper.
Good luck
Hi Olpha,
You mentioned a boost sensor as well? Is that pressure sensor or something else?What is it called exactly please?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back