strange issue with reverse???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vskclint

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has come across this?

Start the car put it into reverse and start moving, push on the accelerator but no revs, brake, put in park, revs, put in drive and revs in forward, put in reverse but no revs, park again touch the accelerator and revs put in reverse, this time revs, then the issue doesn't come back again until I turn the car off.

I'm assuming it possibly a dirty connection in the accelerator electronics at the top of the pedal as I drive in a lot of dust. What else could it be?

That's a curious problem. If the accelerator is working in other gears I'd say the throttle control circuit is fine, but it's possibly related to either the circuit that detects the gears or responds to gear selection. I wonder if it's an issue with the tail lights? Are they working properly - all of it - parkers, brakes, indicators and reverse lights all work as expected? I'm wondering if there's a fault somewhere in the reverse->earth connection.

Another possibility is the gearbox's signal to the ECU is incorrect. We sometimes see the neutral position switch causing grief but it's not common in the D40, but the D40 should send info about every gear that it's in (certainly the auto does). If yours is an auto and there's something (maybe some debris) getting caught in the gear selector it could do this, although you'd think that eventually the debris would clear - so I'd lean more towards an electrical issue.

Also, are the battery terminals nice and clean, and how good a condition is the battery in?

Hey Old Tony,

Finally had a chance to look the car over and the passenger side number plate light was blown also pulled the pedal out and gave the contacts a bit of contact cleaner. Not sure if it's fixed it as yet, will let you know

Latest posts

Back