Strange Engine light issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ju-anico

Reaction score
Good day mates.

I posted same info on the navara.net forum and was advised to post on the australian forum so here goes.

I am all the way from South Africa

Please excuse the lengthy write-up as I want to give as much info as possible.

First a little info before we get to the main issue at hand.

2005 3.0 zd30 Navara 2x4 dual cab ute. (STR If i am not mistaken)

Replaced all fuel lines.

Replaced fuel filter and filter with water trap.

Serviced engine new oil and filter element

Checked and cleaned all connectors on the vehicle front to back even the ones not related to issue.

Found and fixed a few (dodgy) cut and re soldered wires. I fixed it properly.

Checked all fuel lines for a possible leak after engine light came on.

Now here goes nothing.

After full service as stated and replacement of all fuel lines and filters I took her out for a short drive and that is where everything went south.

The engine light came on and almost a complete loss of power. Won't go above 2500 rpm. So that is when I went through all the connectors. Fiddled around for a few weeks.

The one day I ran some errands for the wife and behold whilst driving the engine light went out and had full power with around 10psi of boost.

Please bare with me.

Bridged out pin 1 and 8 and got 7 long flashes and 5 short ones. Now I tried to get some good info as to how to decode it. So I went with alternative options first. Thanks to Landmannn on the navara.net found out just now that it is a code 75 fuel pump failure or pump control module.

Now here is the part where it gets even crazier. If I start it day or night, hot or cold it immediately starts and runs with no smoke or issues except for the engine light and no power.

Yesterday I turned the ignition to the on position and had to open the gate so switched it off again then when I turned it on again the light was out after it started. So what I figured on trying something else.

Ignition on and then off and back on. Start the ute and there is no errors or engine light ute drives as normal with tones of power.

Now my question is what and or where can I hunt to solve the issue at hand.

Any help would be appreciated in this matter

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like the dreaded fuel pump problem to me (I'll guess the ZD30 has a Bosch VP44), but there are others on this forum that know the ZD30 better than I.

Yip you are 100% correct in saying so but what troubles me the most is that one can get past the situation by just turning the ignition on off on then its back to normal.

We have a similar problem with the D40 YD25 engines, if the Suction Control Valve on the pump develops a fault, you can often "reset it" by turning the car off and back on again. The only permanent fix is to replace the SCV in our case.

Replaced all fuel lines.

Replaced fuel filter and filter with water trap.
i would check codes again (it stores the code). make sure you didn't miss read the flashes.
if its 0705 its most likely injection pump rebuild with new pump ecu. $$$$$$
whats really common is 0707 and there is some common causes for that, especially if someone has changed fuel filters.

Mine did that before the pump finally went.. every now again the light would come on, pull over, cycle the key on/off two three times and it would go off...

i would check codes again (it stores the code). make sure you didn't miss read the flashes.
if its 0705 its most likely injection pump rebuild with new pump ecu. $$$$$$
whats really common is 0707 and there is some common causes for that, especially if someone has changed fuel filters.
Thanks mate will share the video if admin allows

We have a similar problem with the D40 YD25 engines, if the Suction Control Valve on the pump develops a fault, you can often "reset it" by turning the car off and back on again. The only permanent fix is to replace the SCV in our case.
Is it something i can replace or must a diesel tech rather have a look? I will first try all alternatives before i give out too much money.

Good day mates.

I am all the way from South Africa
We call it Seth Efrica lol.

Could be a long shot this, but any chance you got a bad batch of fuel? That could keep putting all sorts of crap in your lines and keep blocking the filter if there is rubbish in the tank. Giving all sorts of fuel system codes.

Last edited:
:) why Seth Efrica. It is possible might have been crap in the tank because i did not clean it out just replaced the pipes. Will remove the tank check it and do filters again.

:) why Seth Efrica.
The accent. The way it sounds to Aussies when Seth Efricans pronounce it. Although Sarth Efrica is probably more accurate. lol.

Although I think this mainly stems from hearing South African cricketers/commentary and might not be a valid representation. In fairness it is one of the nicer sounding of the English accents.

The kiwis have a milder version, it sounds like they say "fesh 'n cheps" instead of "fish 'n chips".

Last edited:
It is possible might have been crap in the tank because i did not clean it out just replaced the pipes. Will remove the tank check it and do filters again.
I stopped for fuel once at a servo that had one set of bowsers closed (being worked on). Topped up with 1/4 tank of fuel from the bowser that was open, and drove out to the middle of nowhere off road when the light appeared and car was in limp mode.

After that engine light would appear sometimes on start, other times not, but would appear later while driving. Stopping and restarting would clear it for a while. Gave up on codes as it threw not only fuel system ones but about every code there is (some were probably stored though).

Changed filter which made no real difference. In the end I dropped the tank and noticed like a scum floating on top of fuel and when I emptied it, a layer of very fine dirt around the surface of the tank. Took a bit of cleaning. Then cleaned pipes out with air, changed filter and it was all good.

Noticed the servo closed for some time after that for repairs. If I didn't know the servo had problems, might not have bothered looking at the tank.

The accent. The way it sounds to Aussies when Seth Efricans pronounce it. Although Sarth Efrica is probably more accurate. lol.

Although I think this mainly stems from hearing South African cricketers/commentary and might not be a valid representation. In fairness it is one of the nicer sounding of the English accents.

The kiwis have a milder version, it sounds like they say "fesh 'n cheps" instead of "fish 'n chips".
Lol yeah i remember. I stayd in Dalby QLD for a few years. Worked at Dalby tractor service Aka engeneering.

I stopped for fuel once at a servo that had one set of bowsers closed (being worked on). Topped up with 1/4 tank of fuel from the bowser that was open, and drove out to the middle of nowhere off road when the light appeared and car was in limp mode.

After that engine light would appear sometimes on start, other times not, but would appear later while driving. Stopping and restarting would clear it for a while. Gave up on codes as it threw not only fuel system ones but about every code there is (some were probably stored though).

Changed filter which made no real difference. In the end I dropped the tank and noticed like a scum floating on top of fuel and when I emptied it, a layer of very fine dirt around the surface of the tank. Took a bit of cleaning. Then cleaned pipes out with air, changed filter and it was all good.

Noticed the servo closed for some time after that for repairs. If I didn't know the servo had problems, might not have bothered looking at the tank.
Thanks mate will have a look at the tank most definitely. Its going to have to wait till Saturday. Or until i get back from my Africa trip. Taking a trip to Botswana in 2 weeks. Luckily im using the company ute for time being.

Is it something i can replace or must a diesel tech rather have a look? I will first try all alternatives before i give out too much money.

The fuel pump is something a competent home mechanic could do, but if you have any doubts take it to a qualified one.

Trying alternatives that cost less is always a good option!

I had a similar problem with my 2011 D40, the mechanic took out the SCV and cleaned it said he could not see anything wrong, a week later it went into limp mode again. Had it towed back to him and he had it for two days waiting for the new SCV. Not a problem since[ touch wood] but i now regularly use fuel additive to the tank [fuel doctor] and use the same service station that has plenty of turnover [trucks filling up]

I had a similar problem with my 2011 D40, the mechanic took out the SCV and cleaned it said he could not see anything wrong, a week later it went into limp mode again. Had it towed back to him and he had it for two days waiting for the new SCV. Not a problem since[ touch wood] but i now regularly use fuel additive to the tank [fuel doctor] and use the same service station that has plenty of turnover [trucks filling up]
Thanks mate i dont think the d22 navara has a SCV as it is direct injection with a vp44 pump. And not common rail. Will ask aroud though. Cant seem to find it on google. Only for the d40 and the 2.5.

Thanks mate will have a look at the tank most definitely. Its going to have to wait till Saturday. Or until i get back from my Africa trip. Taking a trip to Botswana in 2 weeks. Luckily im using the company ute for time being.
Botswana sounds like a beautiful place.

It might be a long shot, but it's definitely worth checking anything you can before thinking about changing injector pumps and so on.

Latest posts

Back