STALLING

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
my 06 d40 auto, for the the first time in it's life, has skipped a beat, twice.
last saturday, it started fine, then as soon as i selected reverse, it cut out. back into to park, it would'nt fire for about 30 secs of on/off cranking, then it would start as normal.
Did it for the second time today, identically to the first time.
Any clues anyone?

Sounds like what mine did when it had a fuel line leak. Yours is a similar age, so it’s quite possible that some of the hoses or the primer bulb have perished and are leaking.

It would start on what fuel was in the system, then stall and would crank for ages before the fuel would get back into the system.

If it stalls again, go prime it and see how you go.

As above, sounds like a fuel leak. Rather than starting it and letting the pump run a little dry (which could damage it), just pop the bonnet in the morning and give the primer a few squeezes. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 to become firm.

If it takes more than that, keep going even after it's firm, it should start leaking diesel from the hole, helping you track it down.

As above, sounds like a fuel leak. Rather than starting it and letting the pump run a little dry (which could damage it), just pop the bonnet in the morning and give the primer a few squeezes. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 to become firm.
I currently do this. Haven’t had time/energy to track down where the leak is. 3rd time it’s happened to me. 1st time was leaky primer bulb. 2nd time replaced a few vacuum hoses (lost turbo boost too, hoses fixed both)

After a run it should be reasonably firm fairly quickly (2-3 squeezes), because it should be full of fuel. If there's a leak, this dissipates over a few hours and requires more than 5-6 squeezes in the morning. If you're squeezing it less than that in the morning, you don't have a leak issue, it's something else.

I'm at a loss. If it's directly (and repeatably) related to the reverse gear selection then I wonder if it's tripping the neutral switch? In neutral the car can't produce large amounts of boost (it's inhibited by the ECU) and I wonder if, by using the throttle AND loading the engine by actually being in gear and trying to move the vehicle if that's not causing the issue? It's odd that it won't immediately restart.

I'm fairly sure you can connect a diagnostic machine to the OBD port and it can query the gearbox running values, it would be interesting to see the NPS state when reverse is selected (over several attempts). Is that possible, do you have easy (and cheap) access to someone with such a tool?

I'm at a loss. If it's directly (and repeatably) related to the reverse gear selection then I wonder if it's tripping the neutral switch? In neutral the car can't produce large amounts of boost (it's inhibited by the ECU) and I wonder if, by using the throttle AND loading the engine by actually being in gear and trying to move the vehicle if that's not causing the issue? It's odd that it won't immediately restart.

I'm fairly sure you can connect a diagnostic machine to the OBD port and it can query the gearbox running values, it would be interesting to see the NPS state when reverse is selected (over several attempts). Is that possible, do you have easy (and cheap) access to someone with such a tool?
all i have access to is the torque app, and have one of those cheap fault code reader/eraser's. I'll revisit it when the car is going again, the alternator is shagged and i'm replacing a busted rear trans mount before we head west with the van next week!
cheers!

Spend twenty dollars and buy /install an inline fuel pump at tank or where flexible fuel hose starts at firewall. Have it switch on/off with ignition or manually in cabin from battery. Gives u positive fuel flow and u can then determine if it’s fuel or something else.

all i have access to is the torque app, and have one of those cheap fault code reader/eraser's. I'll revisit it when the car is going again, the alternator is shagged and i'm replacing a busted rear trans mount before we head west with the van next week!
cheers!

Sadly I don't know what PIDs to get Torque to ask for to get responses from the gearbox. I know it's possible - I watched a guy hook up his diagnostic machine to my OBD port, tapped a few buttons and landed in the gearbox data.

car was off the road for a few days, alternator, trans mount and brakes. Lot's of running around today without any hickups, fingers crossed. heading west with the van next week, so hope it won't be a nuisance!

Well, spoke too soon. Car stalled again, this time after just idling in the driveway for 30sec ish, needed to prime the bulb to get it started!

Last edited:
So is it a physical lack of fuel that's the issue? When you reprimed it, how many squeezes did it take?

Another thought: what if it's something blocking the pickup in the tank? If there's muck in the bottom that's only occasionally getting picked up and blocking the fuel flow, it could be quite erratic.

i may have found the issue, a split in the primer bulb. $220 from nissan. wonder if anyone has used an outboard fuel bulb. even the wreckers want $110 second hand!

Attachments

• 20210624_172541[1].jpg
    20210624_172541[1].jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 5
I wouldn’t buy second hand, likely to have the same issue again. I got mine from a local auto parts place. Can’t remember what I paid but I think I’d remember if it was that expensive. Somehow they initially ordered the wrong one, so make sure you double check.

I wouldn’t buy second hand, likely to have the same issue again. I got mine from a local auto parts place. Can’t remember what I paid but I think I’d remember if it was that expensive. Somehow they initially ordered the wrong one, so make sure you double check.

repco said my spain built car should have had a screw on filter with a plunger and that the bulb and factory fuel filter i have is retro fitted?. couldn't convince him otherwise

Sounds like you encounted an ex-spurt.

I've never had to replace my primer bulb but since it's just a squeezy rubber thingymajig in the fuel line, I cannot see why another suited for that size fuel line would have any trouble doing the job.

Of course, if you do replace the primer bulb with a non-standard one, the market value of your vehicle will plummet.

Latest posts

Back