Squealing noise goes away when clutch pressed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The common wisdom would be "yes" change everything while it's apart. Though I'm confident the clutch on mine would have been fine for the life of the car, only changed it because I had one ready to go. Are you keeping it?
Don’t know that’s what I’m weighing up.

In your opinion, with the kms and having spent around $13000 already would you bother? I’m seriously tossing up just getting rid of it and taking the loss . I don’t have the time or funds to keep pouring money into a car I’ve barely driven.
Lol,,yup, that's in my opinion!

It's the fact that you've spent $13g on it is why "I" would! .. $13g, lol- I'm guessing there's a lot of labour/shop time in that! Or are we including the cost of vehicle!

To do what you're doing with "unknown" second-hand cars you really need to be doing the works yourself, shop time is costly huh

Done RIGHT "and depending on clutch used!", $1'500 in new parts, a can of crc;) and a day too two of your time on the tools... or you can throw away $13g... But that's just myyyy opinioooonnnnn,,,, sooooo how much do you want for it- ill give you 6g for it ;)
Ooo I've got a new H.D clutch in the shed too! Since you put a "new" head on it, ill go $7g !

Or you could ask the intellectuals here about pulling back the fork boot and giving the clutch and mechanicals a good coat of CRC!
That may fix it, personally I'm not sure- so make sure you confer with the "interlects" on here first! They're easy to find, they have bells on thier caps :) good luck!

Lol,,yup, that's in my opinion!

It's the fact that you've spent $13g on it is why "I" would! .. $13g, lol- I'm guessing there's a lot of labour/shop time in that! Or are we including the cost of vehicle!

To do what you're doing with "unknown" second-hand cars you really need to be doing the works yourself, shop time is costly huh

Done RIGHT "and depending on clutch used!", $1'500 in new parts, a can of crc;) and a day too two of your time on the tools... or you can throw away $13g... But that's just myyyy opinioooonnnnn,,,, sooooo how much do you want for it- ill give you 6g for it ;)
Ooo I've got a new H.D clutch in the shed too! Since you put a "new" head on it, ill go $7g !

Or you could ask the intellectuals here about pulling back the fork boot and giving the clutch and mechanicals a good coat of CRC!
That may fix it, personally I'm not sure- so make sure you confer with the "interlects" on here first! They're easy to find, they have bells on thier caps :) good luck!

The $13000 is for everything car included. I know it’s not that much but it’s a lot for me. Im guessing your taking the piss about spraying it with crc, wouldn’t that just make the bearing worse?

What does that mean?
The thrust bearing should be back away from the clutch diaphram and only make contact when you push in the clutch and it engages/slides forwards. Though if it wears like mine did (basically fell apart) it can be against the clutch all the time and make noises. Could be a spigot bush as has been suggested, but it's strange the noise goes away when clutch is in (as when idling the shaft then stops, while the engine is still turns, should make it worse). Of course there is the possibility it is something else in the clutch but they sound the most likely.

Last edited:
The $13000 is for everything car included. I know it’s not that much but it’s a lot for me. Im guessing your taking the piss about spraying it with crc, wouldn’t that just make the bearing worse?

Yes, he's taking the piss (a leftover from an old thread). Changing the clutch is probably around $1.5k at a mechanic, or less than half that if you do it yourself.

Usually you'd change the rear main crank seal while your at it (another hundred or so for the seal) because to do that requires the gearbox out and the flywheel off. Would be a shame to replace the clutch and find you have to take it all apart again to fix a leak. Very labour intensive.

The thrust bearing should be back away from the clutch diaphram and only make contact when you push in the clutch and it engages/slides forwards. Though if it wears like mine did (basically fell apart) it can be against the clutch all the time and make noises. Could be a spigot bush as has been suggested, but it's strange the noise goes away when clutch is in (as when idling the shaft then stops, while the engine is still turns, should make it worse). Of course there is the possibility it is something else in the clutch but they sound the most likely.
Noise only at idle . Push the clutch in even slightly and it goes away. Can’t hear it over the motor once moving

Noise only at idle . Push the clutch in even slightly and it goes away. Can’t hear it over the motor once moving
I think what I'd do is just take the gearbox out and have a look, try to work out exactly what's wrong before buying a heap of parts. It could even be a bearing on the input shaft of the gearbox. If it's something easy to fix I'd give the rest of it an inspection and take it from there. I really don't think that's a lot of kms for a factory clutch in one of these. Then again I don't know how it's been treated, or how much towing it's done.

$13000 is a shit load of money my man! Fix it!

And yes, good catch on the C.R.C ;) Altough some say it works a treat on "rubber pully belts"...

I think what I'd do is just take the gearbox out and have a look, try to work out exactly what's wrong before buying a heap of parts. It could even be a bearing on the input shaft of the gearbox. If it's something easy to fix I'd give the rest of it an inspection and take it from there. I really don't think that's a lot of kms for a factory clutch in one of these. Then again I don't know how it's been treated, or how much towing it's done.
They do seem to last the original clutches!

I think you've got a vehicle that's very close to how you want it. It's had a few problems, you've done a ton of work on it to get it to the way it should be, if it was mine I'd keep it. There's two possibilities.

1) You keep the car, knowing that cars wear out and things need replacing and even if you bought a Ranger or a Hilux the same thing could happen. What you have NOW is a car that you are fairly confident in the components. It just needs a little more work.

2) You sell the car, the new buyer goes "well I'll just turn up the stereo until I'm ready to fix the noise" and eventually cracks the gearbox to see what it is, decides to replace flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, main seal, thrust bearing and bleed the system completely, so for a small amount of effort they've got a perfect car.

For my 2c, it's worth just taking the box out and checking it all. Cash aside, it's the the luck of the draw.

I bought my D40 recently with a shi&load of KM's on it and it's always on the back of my mind... mine is sitting at 250km and it's a 2013 model and Auto.

The only saving grace I have is that I know for fact the car was used it's whole life to float between Victoria and NSW multiple times a week and has a full service history.

I seen some with lower KM's but the service history was sporadic or had magically just stopped.

Sounds like you've done all the right things and the clutch is just wear and tear. You should be able to get a lot more life out of her and redeem the cash you've put into it.

Latest posts

Back