Soft turf/Sand tent pegs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been a while

Reaction score
Howdy all, last minute "Bunnings trip" whilst out at Lake Burrumbeet... I've never had decent light weight soft turff/sand pegs and needed some this weekend...

It's all the little things the weigh up on our travels, so I've been replacing the old iron stakes with M10 200mm gal wood screws with the cordless impact drill for the rocky stuff... Thing is, I left the old 10" and bigger heavier pegs at home ....whoops! I ALWAYS forget stuff! Always something! ;) So off into Bunnings at the last hour of thier day and grabbed some 30x30 x3mm alloy angle, a 7mm drill bit with a Hex head fitting for the impact and were away...

An hour on the hacksaw, drill and for $50 I ended up with x12, 250mm alloy pegs.. most at the camping shops are light weight so I thought it was a fair trade off for roughly $4 ea... They work well, but I'm still looking at those pig tail plastic jobs for the really soft beach camps, the length you need for sand it's the way to go weight wise ..

Attachments

• 20210404_112622.jpg
    20210404_112622.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210404_112653.jpg
    20210404_112653.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
That looks pretty good. The screw-in jobs are not bad but in my experience aren't long enough. I used some on the annexe of my caravan and the wind just ripped them out (they were in, but just not long enough to get in deep enough).

What I wouldn't mind are pegs about 300mm long, perhaps 12mm in diameter with a deep thread similar to a gyprock sheeting thread scaled up. Couple this with a large washer to which you weld a ring to retain the tent rope and the chance of it being pulled from the ground is greatly reduced.

Howdy Tony, there are the long plastic fancy ones - from 200mm to 500mm, but I'm still saving for those ;) danmmm expensive...
I was thinking of doing the long 350mm+ course M10ish wood screw and doing exactly what you discribed and weld a few split flat panel washers to make the pigs tail,,,,, buuuuuut! Weight my man!
I'm slowly replacing the old metal poles x12 with the alloy poles for the same reason... Those Aldi ones they have are the goods too, heavy made poles but the do have the plastic fittings at the ends on the spreder poles...

They'll have to be those fancy plastic ones but not today lol

The ones at 4x4 super center have a huge wide cork screw/pigs tail to them too, looks like they'd hold in the fluffy stuff...but $$$$$$

These ones are holding up, haven't moved yet :) you could use 50mm x 50mm x3mm and make them longer for the fluffy stuff but the alloy8 angle gets mighty expensive at those sizes and wouldn't be worth doing I think...

Hope you had a good one, cheers bloke..

We have had a safe, but long trip back home. Driveway is rather empty without the Nav or the caravan, but the new head is in a distribution centre in Western Sydney so we're expecting it to make its way to Bathurst tomorrow or Thursday. Two days to install means the car should be ready for my (already booked) trip next Friday.

Weight is a problem, yes, and I have to keep that in mind especially when I have to load this on a motorcycle. Space is also a premium, although hauling a trailer does make it much, much easier! I like to set up camp with my motorcycle parked across the front of the tent with a ground sheet between the bike and the tent opening, and a tarp that reaches down near the ground on the far side of the motorcycle up and over onto some poles on either side of the tent, so I can get out of my tent and under the tarp without getting drenched in the rain (depending on prevailing winds, of course).

So I think two of these should suffice - I am able to tie the tarp to the bike, and I just need to fully secure the main poles around the tent. For the Nav, I need two of these to hold the awning's poles in place. When we're tenting in the Nav (for those forest runs down narrow little trails) I like to take a gazebo and usually the destinations aren't in exposed areas anyway, but a pair of these pegs - one on each diagonal of the gazebo - would guarantee stability.

So I think I'll make 4. Two for the Nav, two for the bike. I just have to find something stupidly big enough to do what I want without having to nick it off a post-hole digger.

We have had a safe, but long trip back home. Driveway is rather empty without the Nav or the caravan, but the new head is in a distribution centre in Western Sydney so we're expecting it to make its way to Bathurst tomorrow or Thursday. Two days to install means the car should be ready for my (already booked) trip next Friday.

Weight is a problem, yes, and I have to keep that in mind especially when I have to load this on a motorcycle. Space is also a premium, although hauling a trailer does make it much, much easier! I like to set up camp with my motorcycle parked across the front of the tent with a ground sheet between the bike and the tent opening, and a tarp that reaches down near the ground on the far side of the motorcycle up and over onto some poles on either side of the tent, so I can get out of my tent and under the tarp without getting drenched in the rain (depending on prevailing winds, of course).

So I think two of these should suffice - I am able to tie the tarp to the bike, and I just need to fully secure the main poles around the tent. For the Nav, I need two of these to hold the awning's poles in place. When we're tenting in the Nav (for those forest runs down narrow little trails) I like to take a gazebo and usually the destinations aren't in exposed areas anyway, but a pair of these pegs - one on each diagonal of the gazebo - would guarantee stability.

So I think I'll make 4. Two for the Nav, two for the bike. I just have to find something stupidly big enough to do what I want without having to nick it off a post-hole digger.
I know mate, I read about the issues with your girl, weird huh! Such a shame for one as shiney as yours bloke ;) sad day eh..

I'm preparing for it, I'm looking at motors or a rebuild on mine, don't know yet..... if I can find a low mileage motor and box I'd go that way for ease, but I think in reality I'll try and grab a gear box of a bloke here and rebuild my motor??. Maybe! Oooorrrrrr v6 holden it, rebuild the gear bag for the v6 and a v6 with blower would be brilliant ! Broombrooooom

There is a conversion for the v6 too ;)
I'm also thinking of a good second hand motor and box to keep her on the road and then buying an old zd pootrol and putting an LS in it.... I love my little nav and it's been a brillant insight to the 4x4 world and mechanics but I'd like something bigger regarding head and leg space.
I'd love to do a v6 conversion though, now that would make the nav a beach buggy lol cut the roof and the back window out, roll cage lol oh yeahhh I can see it now!

Anyway bloke All the best with your Ute, if things go south and Friday blows up, drop me a line, I'm going to Orange prospecting next week if you need a lift... i mean, thats if you can bring yourself to sit in a dirty old zd single cab ;)

Just one question, why replace the valve train and cams? Sure timing chains etc, but the valves and cams? Sounds expensive my man, she was running and idling yes?
Another thing Tony, grab that old head! If there is nothing wrong with cams and valves another may have use for them?
I was reading about a farmer on here that is doing it tough and needed a head for his, what I'm saying is if it was the same as yours that valve train would have saved him some cash... Even if you took the shims from the lifters! They're always handy for valve adjustments! And the book says we should be doing those checks every so often but who does, I know mine needs it... I just need to save up for the shim removal tools!
Anyways, all the best..yell out if you need too.

Mate, I'm not going to Bathurst until that engine is fixed, we're pre-booked optimistically. I don't mind sitting in "an old zd" - LOL - in fact, I went for a drive down to the central coast (a few years back now) to give a hand to someone who was having troubles with their electricals in their old (and she was quite old) ute. Turned out to be a wire that had broken inside the insulator and you couldn't see it, but I noticed that one part of the wire moved different to the other, waved my multimeter at it and bingo. Anyway ... no qualms about older cars, I ride an old bike too! My girl's a 1996 model!

Definitely grabbing the old head. Will be speaking to the mechanic in the morning to let him know the head is closer and asking for the old bits to go in the tub. I'm having him replace the water pump and the thermostat at the same time. I need this thing to work well!

As for the cams etc, the new head came with camshafts, valves, springs, buckets and shims already in place and adjusted ready to go. I couldn't complain about that, so I went for it. Saves a lot of time for me and the mechanic!

F
Mate, I'm not going to Bathurst until that engine is fixed, we're pre-booked optimistically. I don't mind sitting in "an old zd" - LOL - in fact, I went for a drive down to the central coast (a few years back now) to give a hand to someone who was having troubles with their electricals in their old (and she was quite old) ute. Turned out to be a wire that had broken inside the insulator and you couldn't see it, but I noticed that one part of the wire moved different to the other, waved my multimeter at it and bingo. Anyway ... no qualms about older cars, I ride an old bike too! My girl's a 1996 model!

Definitely grabbing the old head. Will be speaking to the mechanic in the morning to let him know the head is closer and asking for the old bits to go in the tub. I'm having him replace the water pump and the thermostat at the same time. I need this thing to work well!

As for the cams etc, the new head came with camshafts, valves, springs, buckets and shims already in place and adjusted ready to go. I couldn't complain about that, so I went for it. Saves a lot of time for me and the mechanic!
Oh for sure, the mechanic will love you! I would ;)

The offers there if you need it bloke... I like the train travell though, you get to see parts of Aust that you dont get to see by road... Much better than a stinking bus eh
I want to do the Ghan and especially that Rocky mountains Canada one is on my bucket list, that would be amazing the rocky mountains one!

Yeah I like the old ones too, restored an old 98 "for giggles" that once lived in the back of the nav, for years mind you... it's done more miles in the back of the Ute than it has on dirt !
Only the other day I was thinking of removing the tray on the ute "that has the channeling down the center of it for the bike" and making it into a trailer, then fabricating a new camper tray for the girl.... just a thought ;)
I don't ride now soooo it's just painfull to look at the old girl eh I was always a "bike over car" man and it kills me now days not riding... God, it's like a death sentence not getting the wind in your face eh...

Still can't bring myself to sell it though lol I'll stick it behind a bar somewhere I guess :)
Funny thing is, I still want to work on it and finish it off how I want it, then I'll stick it behind the bar...
It's finished, I'd just like to wack some latter model forks on her :) the old seXR's had terrible set up at the front, once you get air the nose loooooves to dive for some reason, bars and higher perches helped, but it's work kepping the nose in the right positions lol The going up is fine, it's the coming down that gets ya lol god I miss it!

Danm you Tony,,,, I'm "glory day" talking and reminiscing now!
I sound like a Bruce Springsteen song ;)

Anyway bloke, all the best and safe travels... if you need it, yell out! You may have to sit on the tray if wifey wants to come though;) j.k -enjoy your train trip..

Another thought - you'd have a significant detour to get to me for the journey up to Bathurst. I'm just inland from the mid north coast, which means you'd be using some fairly minor roads (to save considerable time) to get over the range again (and Bells Line is closed thanks to a landslip at Mt Tomah). You'd be far better served heading down the Newell Hwy (A39) - Goondiwindi, Narrabri, Dubbo -> Orange on major roads, rather than some of the back roads that are just pure shite. Closer to the Great Dividing Range where NSW has had some of its worst flooding in years some of the roads are crap, potholes large enough to swallow the wheels of small cars whole. We lost the decorative plastic wheel cover to one, it was just over a crest in an 80km/h zone and I'm only grateful that it didn't burst the tyre while it was at it. No, stick to major highways for a couple of months while the road crews can fill in at least the worst craters potholes.

I like the back roads Tony, I always try to take a new route every time I go out somewhere...
Less traffic so I can just cruze along. But thanks for the heads up!

All the best bloke, safe travels....

Latest posts

Back