Smoke from the engine compartment

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunders1961

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I got this wrong. I bought a 2016 Navara 2 weeks ago and drove it all the way from Derby to Manchester and just before getting to Manchester i had smoke pouring from the engine compartment. I couldn't see exactly where it came from, but it cleared and didn't happen again until a few days later. I have driven to Glasgow and back without any issues, but it's happened again yesterday. Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to look for, the car is booked in at the garage next Wednesday, but I would like to be able to tell them what to look for. Many thanks in advance. Richard.

There could be a number of things causing it. We need a couple of specifics answered first.

Petrol engine or diesel?

What colour smoke?

Diesel question: does it only happen after the car's been driven hard (over 4,000rpm) or even if the car's only ever reached about 2500-3000rpm?

Diesel or petrol question: if you take a look in the engine bay, do you notice any black oily smears anywhere at all? Is there any sign of black oil on the bottom of the engine or the cross members? Is there any spotting on the tailgate?

There could be a number of things causing it. We need a couple of specifics answered first.

Petrol engine or diesel?

What colour smoke?

Diesel question: does it only happen after the car's been driven hard (over 4,000rpm) or even if the car's only ever reached about 2500-3000rpm?

Diesel or petrol question: if you take a look in the engine bay, do you notice any black oily smears anywhere at all? Is there any sign of black oil on the bottom of the engine or the cross members? Is there any spotting on the tailgate?
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply, it turned out to be the braided hose from the turbo and the smoke was indeed worse when driven for a while over 2000 rpm. The garage has fitted a new clamp which seems to have sorted the problem & I'm keeping an eye on it. Thanks again.

Back