slow to fire even after replacing glow plugs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello

My '04 D22 is getting harder to start on these cold mornings, i have replaced glow plugs and my battery is good.
One thing i noticed is i cannot hear the relay click after glow plug light goes out, maybe relay stuffed, where do i find it? and
how to test?

Also i did a good google search and found these things to check or do,
  • replace fuel injectors
  • check the terminal from the fuel sender to the supply pipe is not corroded, maybe leaking slightly and letting air into the system.
  • check the non return fuel valve has not failed letting fuel seep back from the supply pipe/filter when the engine not running.
regards
Robert

Hey mate, not sure what motor you have, but if it is the zd30 there is no suction control valve as it is a different setup to the yd25. The best thing to do would be with a multimeter, check the voltage on the glow plug rail when you first turn the key on. I can't remember where the glow plug relay is in the d22, but have a look in the fuse panel on the driver's side near the battery.

Just had a similar sounding issue with my '05. If you have already replaced glow plugs, start simple - make sure the air filter is clean and maybe replace the fuel filter. My glow plugs were just about stuffed so replaced them. I also found a small split in the supply hose to the fuel pump. At the age of the vehicle all rubber fuel hoses are getting stiff. Check the hoses to and from the fuel pump on the drivers side of the engine (just below the battery/manifold area). My split was in under the part of the hose covered by the rubber protective sheath - replace hoses if they feel stiff and brittle as a tiny split will suck air and make starting difficult. You may even see fuel leak when you pump the fuel primer on the fuel filter. Another sign of a split in fuel hoses is if you prime up the fuel so its hard on the primer button and after 10 minutes or more the primer button gets soft again.

Latest posts

Back