Silcone hoses V's OME Hoses

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza63

Reaction score
Just wondering what you good folk think on which is best coolant hoses to put on I want to replace all on my D40 Spanish built diesel but not sure which is better either silicone or OME coolant hoses.
If you choose silicone anyone know where you can get them reasonably priced for the lot of them and where in the Brisbane area??

As usual thanks for any help and info supplied.

Unless you have an actual reason for doing so, beyond simply wanting to, why are you even considering replacing the hoses? The OEM hoses are of good quality. In general, automotive OEM coolant hoses made in the last 40 years or so can be expected to last 20 years or more. On the other hand, I opted to carry silicone hoses as my spares because they can be packed much more compactly, even folded over quite safely. If space was less of an issue I would not hesitate in sticking with the OEM hoses. I can't recall who I bought my silicone ones from but it was an eBay seller and I seem to recall they were in Brisbane, so it's worth a bit of a search.

Great thanks the reason being a couple of my mates have D40 and recently the one under the fuel filter blew out and they done the head and cost them a fortune, I just thought they have been on there for 14 years already and expanding and contracting with the heat daily like all things they must wear out and I was going to change them all as a preventative maintenance job thats all. I just wanted to know which would be better. Instead of just doing one or two I would do the lot and then a bit more worry less driving. Also just wanted to know cost wise for either.
Thanks for your reply appreciated. OldManBeard.

If his hoses lasted for 14 years that says something positive about the OEM hoses!

An option - if the silicone hoses are too expensive - is to just replace ALL of the hoses with aftermarket ones (which will be of similar quality to OEM anyway). I had the top hose on mine blow as we were leaving Bathurst after a race event, Nissan didn't have one in stock but wanted about $180 for it, none of the "car parts" retailers had one (Supercheap, Autobarn, Repco) but I ended up getting one from Brakepro in Bathurst for about $66. This was fitted in 2018 and hasn't missed a beat, we've been halfway around the country since then, numerous trips up to Bathurst, Rockhampton twice ...

When we got back from that trip I had my local mechanic "replace the bottom hose just in case". I didn't suggest they go to Brakepro. Ended up paying $220 or thereabouts for the hose, plus labour (and coolant), they'd gotten the hose from Nissan. I asked them to inspect the replacement hose that I'd put on and they declared it good.

An option - if the silicone hoses are too expensive - is to just replace ALL of the hoses with aftermarket ones (which will be of similar quality to OEM anyway).
Aftermarket hoses are generally made by the very same companies that make the OEM products, so unless they're absurdly cheap, I would never hesitate to use them. OTOH, if they appear to be too cheap I suggest staying well away from them.

If his hoses lasted for 14 years that says something positive about the OEM hoses!

An option - if the silicone hoses are too expensive - is to just replace ALL of the hoses with aftermarket ones (which will be of similar quality to OEM anyway). I had the top hose on mine blow as we were leaving Bathurst after a race event, Nissan didn't have one in stock but wanted about $180 for it, none of the "car parts" retailers had one (Supercheap, Autobarn, Repco) but I ended up getting one from Brakepro in Bathurst for about $66. This was fitted in 2018 and hasn't missed a beat, we've been halfway around the country since then, numerous trips up to Bathurst, Rockhampton twice ...

When we got back from that trip I had my local mechanic "replace the bottom hose just in case". I didn't suggest they go to Brakepro. Ended up paying $220 or thereabouts for the hose, plus labour (and coolant), they'd gotten the hose from Nissan. I asked them to inspect the replacement hose that I'd put on and they declared it good.
This is why I ask to get the best info from people who most likely already done it thank you..

So far the silicon hoses I found are actually cheaper than OEM again this is why I ask as I cant afford a break down and this is why I do things before I really need to sometimes not needed but then I have the knowledge they are done and I just enjoy driving. But thanks for all info.....To all

Latest posts

Back