Should I buy??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVNEWBIE

Reaction score
Morning all,
looking at getting a Nav, not 100% certain which model, D22, D23, D40.
is there anything specific I should be looking for on any of these models?

Thanks
NAVNEWBIE

get service history on what you want to buy, buy from reputable dealer ,and get a warranty . reputable dealers would piss off troublesome and high mileage cars to the corner car yard where you may think you are getting a great deal

Morning all,
looking at getting a Nav, not 100% certain which model, D22, D23, D40.
is there anything specific I should be looking for on any of these models?

Thanks
NAVNEWBIE
thats a massive range in price.
what price range are you looking at?

1st port of call is to determine a budget, then what you want it for and how long you intend to keep it. Why a Nav (not that there’s anything wrong with Navs)

thats a massive range in price.
what price range are you looking at?
Looking at around 20k plus a trade in of 2-3k. if I can get away with 15-17k inc. trade in i'd be happy with that so I have a few Grand to spare to accessorise should i need to

get service history on what you want to buy, buy from reputable dealer ,and get a warranty . reputable dealers would piss off troublesome and high mileage cars to the corner car yard where you may think you are getting a great deal
That was my plan, also have me neighbour who is a diesel mechanic who said he'd be happy to check out the vehicles with me

^ Also a vast difference in appointments (air conditioning, seats etc).

D22 usually doesn't come in an auto, which is recommended for towing.
Only towing i'd be doing is local tip run and possibly a dingy down the track, nothing over 1 - 1.5 Tonne

I’d have a D40 over a D22, mainly due to interior space and comfort. Not sure what you’ll get out of a D23 for those prices.
So D40 more family type vehicle, D22 more suited to tight off road tracks?
also do the D22 only have torsion bar front suspension or can you get them with coils?

It looks like a nice unit.

D22 has less legroom in the rear (somewhere around 150mm less, from memory). It has less power BUT that's not a huge deal, I've driven a D22 and found that the power came on more smoothly than my D40, and preferred the more consistent pull of the D22 (not that I drive my car hard).

The D22 also has about 100mm shorter wheelbase so ramp-over isn't as pronounced. I've not seen a coil-sprung D22 front end before, they're all torsion bar as far as I know. The wheelbase is very slightly narrower but the difference is so minor you'd be very hard pressed to notice it on a 4WD track. The few mm difference in width won't be a big deal in stability, but the length will be as you will be able to clear obstacles easier than a D40.

D40 are a bit unreliable. even nissan admitted stuffing that one up.
i would go with the D22 or increase the budget and go with D23.

d40's timing chains, paint, brakes/rotors, firewall cracking, fuel pickup pipe, turbo control issues, clutch issue and the fuel remap to "fix it", 4wd switches, i think there was a few others i can't recall at the mo.

I have 11+ years in a YD25 D22. They are very basic, but that's appealing to me. They are also very slow off the mark from a stop. Also, during a trip Adelaide to Naracoorte with a headwind a few years ago, it struggled to hold the speed limit (110). I've had my current Ute for 8.5 years & it's towed pretty much every day I've had it, either a dual axle work trailer, or a camper trailer/caravan. It's still on the original clutch, so they tow OK. We do outback touring as a pastime & the Ute has gone to some very out of the way places & handled it well. I have to admit that I'd prefer an auto while driving in soft sand, but it is what it is. It got up Big Red OK, so it can climb sand dunes, but an auto would do it better. The D22 is the only one of those 3 that has free wheeling hubs, which I see as a definite plus. No 4x4 systems on a D22 to fail out in the sticks, like does happen with more modern 4x4's. My experience has been that they are reliable. The only work I've done on it has been servicing, tyres & batteries. But, I'm an old man and the D22 is really suited to me. It may not be suited to you.

My D22 has served me well with the ZD30 and with a remap has more grunt than new by far. It's old now(2005 and 360k) but still in good nick. Economical diesel with AC, all I need. BUT not a great deal of leg room in the back.
Having said that, my step son(6"4') has bought one now, and he spent his fair share of time in the back seat of mine. So the moral of the story is, if you are in the drivers seat you are golden😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back