Set the timing on a Transfer case acuator (D40)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoranDe

Reaction score
Hi, everyone awhile back I bought a Navara with some problem with the transfer case it couldn’t engage and disengage 4WD, so I changed the three sensor located in the back end of the gearbox still noting, then i opened the up the actuator controller, and I was trying to set the timing with my guessing knowledge, it ended up working, when it changed from 2WD to 4WD but when I changed it back to again 2WD it stopped working and the 4WD text indicating that There a problem with the transfer case came up, my question was is there anyway for me to find how to set the timing on the actuator?

Best regards
Goran from Sweden

Car: Nissan D40 LE automatic 2006

First, let's get the procedure correct:

* Ignition on (engine running preferably)
* Gearbox in neutral
* Vehicle stopped
* Foot on brake

turning the dial at this point should make the servo turn and change the transfer case. If it fails, check the relays (engine bay) and see if they're operating (needs 2 people!).

If the relays are fine and it's still not engaging, you can pull the servo out and watch it while someone else operates the dial inside.

The actuator (servo) is quite simple - it does a 270-degree turn from 2HI to 4LO. It's 90 degrees between 2HI and 4HI, then a further 180 degrees from 4HI to 4LO. If your servo is doing that, it's working, and the transfer case has a problem - that should be done by a mechanic unless you're handy with tools.

Hi, thanks for the replay, i will check all the relays and go through all the steps you told me to do, and I would also like to tell you that I’ve take apart the servo as I was gonna try to set the timing multiple times, and some times it worked. At one point, it turned 90 degrees from 2HI to 4HI and when I tried to dial it back to 2HI, the amber 4WD light came on and the noice from the servo stopped at that point

The 4WD light would have come on because the sensors inside the transfer case didn't indicate that it had changed mode. It sounds like the servo is operational, so it may just be an electrical issue.

Back