Selecting reverse while moving forward

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepenberries

Reaction score
Hi all

Something I'd like to know is whether you can go from 5th gear to reverse whilst on the highway or other?

Is there something to prevent the shifter from going into reverse whilst the car is going forward at speed?

I know some modern utes won't let you do that but unsure about my d22

2012 D22 thai build YD25

Hi all

Something I'd like to know is whether you can go from 5th gear to reverse whilst on the highway or other?

Is there something to prevent the shifter from going into reverse whilst the car is going forward at speed?

2012 D22 thai build YD25

Why would you want to change from 5th to reverse while in motion?

Hi all

2012 D22 thai build YD25
Theoretically there's nothing stopping you from going to reverse from any of the forward gears afaik, apart from the fear lol. Practically, it's difficult though, thankfully. It will make lot's of horrible early warning noises alerting you of the mistake you are making.

You can also go from fifth at 80kph straight to second and drop the clutch if you want to slow right down for a roundabout. This one works a treat with the rear wheels locking straight up, no need to go to the effort of using those pesky brakes lol.

I learned these and many other unorthodox driving techniques years ago while teaching my youngsters how to drive lol. A job I was given as I can be somewhat less flighty than the wife under such conditions.

It’s a manual. Make you own choices as to which gear you put it in.

Reverse is normally harder to get it in to when moving, but it’s not impossible

Why would you want to change from 5th to reverse while in motion?
its an old hoon "look at me" move. typically done with a strong auto and light weight rear vehicle, on a slippery road.
work had a ford falcon i suspect someone tried to do that and it destroyed the trans, torn all the reversing side out.
manuals of course you just break teeth off the gears.

Theoretically there's nothing stopping you from going to reverse from any of the forward gears afaik, apart from the fear lol. Practically, it's difficult though, thankfully. It will make lot's of horrible early warning noises alerting you of the mistake you are making.

You can also go from fifth at 80kph straight to second and drop the clutch if you want to slow right down for a roundabout. This one works a treat with the rear wheels locking straight up, no need to go to the effort of using those pesky brakes lol.

I learned these and many other unorthodox driving techniques years ago while teaching my youngsters how to drive lol. A job I was given as I can be somewhat less flighty than the wife under such conditions.
i went to change down a gear for the passing lane up the hill, hit a big pothole and accidently got 2nd gear. not fun.

When you’ve got a manual, your brain doesn’t always tell your hand to do what the car is capable of. Plenty of times I’ve changed gear and let out the clutch then jammed the clutch pedal to the floor quickly as things go wrong. 5th down to second. Third to sixth. 1st to whatever’s next to reverse etc. thousands of correct changes, but a few fails.

Latest posts

Back