SeatBelt Warning Light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apdnarg

Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem, while driving home today three seat belt warning lights came on and the beeping started and continued to beep the entire way home (40 minute drive) No one sitting in the seats, nothing on either of the seats. did find after I got home if I touched the rear passenger buckle one of the lights will go out, when I let it go the light light came back on. The other two rear seat belt lights stay on. Any one have any idea as to why this is happening, only started today.

I'll take a loose shot in the dark (I don't have direct experience with this fault)
Something has either gone open circuit or shorted to ground (chassis).
I don't know how integrated all this stuff is in the newer Navs.....maybe a solid state relay in the sensing circuit has failed?
I didn't think the ECU would be running this stuff, but it always amazes me what each new generation of vehicle has plugged
thru the ECU. Don't laugh, but it might have thrown a code for it...?

Switches in the buckles are stuck? (spray with contact cleaner)
Done a body lift recently? (chaffed insulation somewhere)
Deep creek crossings? (water ingress)
Airbag light on?
Kids spilled a drink into the buckles? (make them travel in the tub with the dog?)

Did you have any heavy items on the seats today?

My guess would be a common item as well, given that all 3 went at the same time.

Ground (negative) connections would be a prime candidate.

I don't know if the newer cars had a separate module for checking seatbelts. They'd be handled by the body control module (BCM) in my car, but only the driver's seat is monitored (2009 D40). Monitoring all of the seats may have required a separate module (like the airbag module). This separate module might have an issue. Fuse is possible. It's unlikely to be loose connectors, in my experience Nissan use connectors that really don't want to come undone (even when you need them to!) but there's a chance something made it in there (and in a back seat, that could be anything from water to cola).

You are not alone. 2022 Nav Warrior and I am having the same issue. It is currently at the dealers who are trying to rectify it. The difference with mine is that when someone sits in the back and I drive off, either one or both other belts warning comes on the dash and chime even though no one is sitting in those seats. Dealer says there are no pressure sensor pads in the rear seats. He started to tell me they are designed that way and the chiming will stop after 30,seconds....what crap. I told them to keep the car until it's fixed. I am on another forum and other members have had similar issues. Send me your email and I will start compiling a list of owners with this issue. Mark. Ps, if this has been fixed can you please tell me what the issue was.

You are not alone. 2022 Nav Warrior and I am having the same issue. It is currently at the dealers who are trying to rectify it. The difference with mine is that when someone sits in the back and I drive off, either one or both other belts warning comes on the dash and chime even though no one is sitting in those seats. Dealer says there are no pressure sensor pads in the rear seats. He started to tell me they are designed that way and the chiming will stop after 30,seconds....what crap. I told them to keep the car until it's fixed. I am on another forum and other members have had similar issues. Send me your email and I will start compiling a list of owners with this issue. Mark. Ps, if this has been fixed can you please tell me what the issue was.

My 2021 ST-X is having a similar issue. If a left side rear passenger attempts to insert there seatbelt into the middle seats anchor position the dash warning sign and chimes show someone is in the middle seat and not anchored securely, even though there is no one or item placed in the middle seat.
My fix, until Nissan can have a look at the issue, was to leave the middle seat belt connected when travelling, chimes and warning light stopped. I will post after my next service the outcome.

Buy a D22, no problems then haha ;) . If I owned one id try disable the whole seat belt warning system, but dunno what that means for your insurance etc.

Then how does it know someone's sitting in there?
They told me the only sensors are in the buckles themselves. Tony I understand what you are saying and I argued the point with them. I'm really upset about it. They are starting to put it in the too hard basket and cannot find a solution. The first time I had in in there They told me there was a fault and changed a couple of buckles. It didn't fix and now they are trying to tell me it is how they are supposed to function. I took some video of the fault. I'll try to upload it on YouTube and share it on the forum.

Man that's annoying!

Ok, judging by the lights (which look red and blue to me), it works like this:

Red light constant: nobody there
Red light flashing: passenger present, seat belt undone
Blue light constant: passenger present, seat belt done up correctly

I come to this conclusion because (ignoring the erroneous left seat) when your son moved into the middle seat the middle icon began flashing red until he did up his seat belt, and then the icon turned blue.

I would have put this down to the weight sensors but after watching the whole video and seeing the errors as your son moved back to the left, I'm wondering if it's:

1) A possible logic error (fault) in the unit responsible for monitoring the seat belts. I don't know where that is in these models.

2) A wiring fault (like an earth fault). Now as for where this is, nobody could say exactly, except for some history: for some reason unfathomable to me, Nissan used to share the earth between the stereo and the instrument cluster. This used to cause all sorts of problems when the stereo earth started to muck up (corrosion? Loose?) and the stereo began to try earthing through the instrument cluster, causing weird things to happen.

The fix for that was always to add an earth wire to the side of the stereo (which should be earthed anyway). The instrument cluster would come good.

Now you could try that - it's especially important to try it if you've changed the head unit - or you could examine the connections and wiring looms for the rear seats, which may also have an earth problem (it has to be something common for this to occur). If there's any wiring back there that is supposed to connect to the body, try undoing that connection and cleaning it.

Man that's annoying!

Ok, judging by the lights (which look red and blue to me), it works like this:

Red light constant: nobody there
Red light flashing: passenger present, seat belt undone
Blue light constant: passenger present, seat belt done up correctly

I come to this conclusion because (ignoring the erroneous left seat) when your son moved into the middle seat the middle icon began flashing red until he did up his seat belt, and then the icon turned blue.

I would have put this down to the weight sensors but after watching the whole video and seeing the errors as your son moved back to the left, I'm wondering if it's:

1) A possible logic error (fault) in the unit responsible for monitoring the seat belts. I don't know where that is in these models.

2) A wiring fault (like an earth fault). Now as for where this is, nobody could say exactly, except for some history: for some reason unfathomable to me, Nissan used to share the earth between the stereo and the instrument cluster. This used to cause all sorts of problems when the stereo earth started to muck up (corrosion? Loose?) and the stereo began to try earthing through the instrument cluster, causing weird things to happen.

The fix for that was always to add an earth wire to the side of the stereo (which should be earthed anyway). The instrument cluster would come good.

Now you could try that - it's especially important to try it if you've changed the head unit - or you could examine the connections and wiring looms for the rear seats, which may also have an earth problem (it has to be something common for this to occur). If there's any wiring back there that is supposed to connect to the body, try undoing that connection and cleaning it.
Thanks for the detailed reply. The car is new and only done 4000k so it won't be corrosion. I do agree the at must be a gremlin from the wiring loom connecting the seat belt electrics together....there must be a junction where the wires and sensor warnings meet. I have no idea. thanks again for your help

Thanks for the detailed reply. The car is new and only done 4000k so it won't be corrosion. I do agree the at must be a gremlin from the wiring loom connecting the seat belt electrics together....there must be a junction where the wires and sensor warnings meet. I have no idea. thanks again for your help

Funnily enough, way back when (about 2012 or so) there were a number of reports of new cars exhibiting really weird issues and it turned out that Nissan had not cleaned the earth point for the ECU properly and the paint was insulating it, causing the ECU to behave erratically.

A possibility for yours?

The last conversation I had with the service dept. they started saying its normal and the chime will stop after 30 seconds. I didn't wear that and told them I'll pick up the car when it's fixed. Tomorrow they will have had it for a week....yes a week. Feeling bummed out about it.

I appreciate your tips and help. I think a brand new car they should trouble shoot it. I am not the only one having this problem it's a matter for Nissan to sort out. I feel sorry for the service manager. He's a great bloke and was trying hard but it seems they now want to put it in the too hard basket

Any progress?
Has anyone tried a reset/reboot of the whole system?
(i.e. ECU/TCU/BCM etc full disconnect)

Keep the pressure on those clowns at the dealer. You can't drive around with that chime on constantly. You'll go bonkers.

Hi. Thanks for the message. I have been in contact with them again. I know other people have had the same issue. Today I was driving on a freeway with no one in the back and the chime came on. I will definitely keep the pressure on and let you know how I go. Mark

Hi. Thanks for the message. I have been in contact with them again. I know other people have had the same issue. Today I was driving on a freeway with no one in the back and the chime came on. I will definitely keep the pressure on and let you know how I go. Mark
This may or may not help . I have two nissans one a 2wd cab/chassis D22 YD25 manual,it has pressure sensors in the bench seats and I own a Infiniti QX70s S51 V9X awd ras 7 speed sports auto and it uses internal sensor cameras to determine who is sitting where and this is also connected to the anti theft system. Maybe your Navarra has a similar system as the QX 70 .

Thanks, much appreciated. Dealer tells me there are no pressure sensors on the rear seats, it's all done through the buckles. Will keep everyone up to date. There are other cars out there with this problem. Mark

Latest posts

Back