RPM Sensor Code

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper82

Reaction score
Hihi,

I just bought a 2006 D22 ZD30. Its got ~200k on the clock. I've got the following symptoms:
* Occasionally on startup, the engine will rev to 3-3.5k. No foot on the accelerator. No trouble starting.
* Occasionally while driving, the check engine light will come on. It goes off after turning it of-and-on-again.

Otherwise, the car drives great. Just had the cluch changed, and I did a full service on it ~500kms ago.

I had a local mechanic check out the error code, and he told me its an RPM Sensor issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Hooper

need the exact code as there is two rpm sensors as such.
you can pull the code up yourself, instructions on here if you search.

Hey Tweak'e,

Ordered the Nissan Consult reader from ECU Talk. Will hopefully be here in a day or two and I can read it.

Old mate at the diesel mechanics shop mentioned it was the RPM sensor in the injector pump, and then quoted me $4k to replace it. If thats what it costs, so be it. But I wanted to get a bit more info first :)

code first. even if you just read the flashes of the engine light.
if it is the injection pump then its a full rebuild, don;t just replace the sensor. common for the electronics board to fail and if your doing all that you might as well rebuild it.

Oh I remember that one. Does your tacho jump around at all when you are cranking to start? I had this fault code coming up and it turned out to be electrical interference from a failing starter motor. The starter seemed fine to me, until I got a new one. If the car plays up while driving then it may be the CAS (0407 is also known as crank angle sensor fault), but unlikely if the car is fine while driving.
I only realised after installing the new starter that the tacho is normally stationery while cranking

Last edited:
I just checked, and the tacho is stationary while cranking. She starts super easy. No cranking at all really. every ~15th? start the revs will spike to ~3k, which makes the tacho jump obviously.

When the check engine light comes on, only comes on while driving. Just had it come on again and the engine might have had a little burp when it did. But even after the check engine light comes on it still drives fine.

Based on searching I've done around the forums, I was going to clean the negative contact on the crank case to make sure its got a good connection (based on this thread). And maybe see if I can clean the Crank Angle Sensor at all.

But, I'm very much open to suggestions! :)

Ok, cleaned negative contacts on engine block. Didn't fix it.

Had the check-engine light flick on while I was driving it up a hill, and it defiantly shuddered or hiccuped for a brief moment.

well at least thats usually a much cheaper thing to fix than an injection pump the mechanic said it was.

check earths on the inlet manifold. also the plug it connects to.
best thing is to put a scope on it to test. but it may be easier to simply replace the sensor. it could have a bad connection thats opening up when it gets hot.
also keep in mind what other gadgets you may have installed. these sensors seam to be prone to interference. i think someone had a relay that was arcing and that was screwing with the signal. ie something switches on while going up the hill.

I cleaned up the earths and the TDC plug. Went for a drive to test it, and good news! I got more faults!
0407 Crankshaft position sensor
0702 Injection Pump –TDC pulse sensor
And, the tacho stops working sometimes
, showing 0 RPM while the engine is doing 1k+
It also runs like crap.
(Click here for ECUTalk screenshot)

Based on Bunkyone's experience in this thread, it sounds like a similar issue. Going to replace the TDC sensor and will let you know :)

Update: Replaced the TDC/Crank angle sensor.

Just took it for a test drive, drives 1000% better. I didn't realize how much power I'd lost.
I just bought the car, and now suspect that the TDC/Crank angle sensor was on the fritz from the first drive I had in it.

Thanks for all your help peoples! Will update this thread if I have any more problems with the sensor, but I think that was it.

Back