RLIs Jayco off-road camper trailer!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLI

Reaction score
G, day folks,

I have been flat-out with my Patrol rebuild and my Jayco off-road camper trailer retro-fit of the new Cruisemaster independent coil suspension for my next trip to Cape York next August 2013.

My wife and I bought a second hand 2004 Jayco Hawk off-road camper trailer 2 years ago after conducting the following;

1. Attending various caravan/camper trailer shows
2. Reading the numerous caravan/camper trailer magazines
3. Researching the various camper trailer websites
4. Checking out a number of the manufactures premises and
5. finally speaking to people who owed camper trailers at the various caravan parks in our area.

Originally, we had a budget off between $10,000 and $15,000 dollars for your traditional box/tent type camper trailer; this changed dramatically when I looked inside a new Jayco Swan off-road camper trailer at Watson’s caravans in Coffs Harbour.

We so close to purchasing the newly released CIC Extreme Ranger Off-camper trailer it was not funny, we had negotiated the lay-out and other extras and came to a dollar value of $12,500.00, we were advised the camper would be ready in 3 weeks all we had to do that afternoon was pay a deposit.

My mate Dave paid his deposit 4 weeks before and his trailer was still not ready, that prompted me to wait and see his trailer arrive first and thank-f--k we did. When my mate was finally advised by GIC to come down to Sydney to pick-up his camper trailer they were still building the f—ker.

Late that afternoon minus no tool box fitted or side storage boxes fitted due to they had run out of those items, he returned to Coffs Harbour (not a happy chappie)

It was a further 4 weeks before the pricks finally sent them up. I then fitted them to his camper trailer; furthermore, I had to refit the slide out kitchen as it was not properly fitted. To say the least I was not overly impressed by the build quality for an $11,500 camper trailer.

After viewing the GIC and further conducting research into the Jayco off-road campers. I was chuffed when I found out that my sister-in-laws brother worked as a maintenance manager in Melbourne for Jayco. After speaking to Brad and gaining further knowledge we decided on buying a 2004 Jayco Hawk Off-road based on the following;

(a) The best built off-road models were built between 2002 and 2005 due to the larger box section steel used to build the chassis and draw bars

(b) Second hand offered us all the added luxuries and a better camper trailer than a new CIC could offer that kept my wife (handbrake happy)

(c) Extremely quick to set-up compared to the traditional off-road camper (10mins compared to 30mins plus)

(d) The resale value of the Jayco off-road campers are extraordinary (own it for five years and essentially get your money back when you sell it)

(e) They sell far quicker than any other camper trailer (check-out the various camper trailer websites and monitor Jayco off road camper trailer movements compared to other camper trailers.)

(f) Finally you get more bang for buck. We paid $15,000 for ours including battery pack, barbeque, twin gas bottles, hot water shower, boat rack, pull out awning, full annex and a generator.

We took our Jayco to Cape York last June/July via the Old Telegraph Track view photos attached.

Stay tuned for the retro refit of the campers suspension system (this will be wicked!)

Regards,

RLI
:chainsaw::deadhorse:

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 480
Very nice looking unit. Lots of happy Jayco owners out there. I am sure you will enjoy.

Looking forward to reading of your escapades to Cape York.

Exactly what the misses wants.. After we have a child she says though

I've had a couple of Jayco camper trailers, a finch and a swan and they are great for family holidays.

I reckon the one you've got is just about the pick of the lot though when it comes to model choices!

Top stuff RLI, I just bought a new Flamingo Outback just before easter.

Good move not getting the GIC, I have one and have had too virtually rebuild the trailer before it was any good. now I can't sell the bloody thing.

jayco

Hi guys, I have a Jayco Penguin Outback, after having a Dingo offroad camper, the Dingo is as tough as nails but the Penguin is much easier to get along with, more user friendly.

we run a jayco eagle and camp with it 7/8 times a year, some for a couple of days, sometimes 3/4 weeks. hasn't let us down in any way either in a caravan park or in self sufficient conditions. been fine on light, slow moving off road but a trip to Birdsville shook it up a bit and it needed some tlc after. wife n kids love the comforts and I don't notice it on the back at all..

Very nice looking unit. Lots of happy Jayco owners out there. I am sure you will enjoy.

Looking forward to reading of your escapades to Cape York.

G, day Joe,

Mate, I am sorry for being a lazy basterd later due to illness, I will definitely finish my Cape York yarn soon, even though it’s been nearly 12 months since that trip north.

PS, It’s never too late to tell a good yarn!

Regards,

RLI
:rock:

Exactly what the misses wants.. After we have a child she says though

Mate,
I had to succumb to the handbrakes wishes, that way I am allowed to have my toys!

PS, anyhow, I do like a little luxury at times! And these f—kers really hold their value!

Regards,

RLI
:violin2:

Good move not getting the GIC, I have one and have had too virtually rebuild the trailer before it was any good. now I can't sell the bloody thing.

G, day mate,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble selling your GIC. My mate Dave is in the same boat, he has purchase a Jayco Hawk like ours after seeing what ours went though up at the Cape!

PS, I hope both you and my mate are successful in selling your GIC camper trailers!

Regards,

RLI

:rock:

LLadnar said:

How much are you asking?

G, day lads,

I have arrived back from Brisbane and now I am heading off to Coffs Harbour to pick –up my camper trailer. Will send you photos of the new suspension set-up.

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

I look forward to seeing your camper with its new Nav rims!
:blingbling:

G, day mate,

Unfortunately the D22 rims did not fit. I got my calculations wrong and subsequently had only 5mm play between tyre and the chassis rail. With the new independent suspension, the 5mm clearance was not enough to allow for wheel articulation when using the Jayco in off road application.

PS, I had to purchase another set off 16inch rims from the local wreckers.

Regards,

RLI
:deadhorse:

More photos

G, day folks,

More photos of our Jayco up at Cape York on the Old Telegraph Track.

Regards,

RLI

:shooter::deadhorse2:

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg