Resetting the 4wd switch after flat battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunning1987

Reaction score
Just putting it out there hoping someone can assist.

On the weekend my family and I shot off for a camp durring the process I left the car in 4LO and battery went flat. The next morning I jump started the car and now the car will not come out and go into 4WD error after 10seconds of flashing.

This has happend before and after i took in to nissan to sort it out within 10mins it was done.

Does anyone know how to reset the transfer case actuator when something like this happens?

have you tried resetting the ecu it cant hurt to try

Guys, I'm compiling all of these tips into a single set of instructions with links back to the original posters' posts so that credit can go to those who provided the info. I think those who want to give it a go should and please post feedback in here so we can make this accurate. Also, if you find it difficult to follow, send me a pm and I'll do what I can to clear things up.

Here it is, so far:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
Original post: Exhaust mod with DPF page 2 post 27081

Modifications to refine procedure are in bold.

D40 ECU RESET PROCEDURE
To carry out the reset do the following:

Warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperature then turn the vehicle off.

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

Holding the accelerator for that long ends the procedure.

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36741:
DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Take the vehicle for a nice gentle drive, go through all the gears and then shut the vehicle down to finish the learning process.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!! :D

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36627:
Seeing 1 set of 10 slow flashes followed by 3 sets of 10 flashes fast means there are no faults found or stored.

:angry:No, I didn't try that but is good to know. Saying that tho, I did just arrive home from the nissan dealer in Warrick. Which showed me how to get the transfer case back into 2wd if it ever locks up again.

Steps are as followed:
1 Remove transfer actuator via 2 bolts on the left and right, leave the rear plug on and ignition on.
2. Turn the left shaft with a screw driver counter clockwise till you feel a slight stop and it will coil clockwise with a spring like feel.
3 reassemble and test

Done. wish i knew that 2 days ago :thumpdown:

:angry:No, I didn't try that but is good to know. Saying that tho, I did just arrive home from the nissan dealer in Warrick. Which showed me how to get the transfer case back into 2wd if it ever locks up again.

Steps are as followed:
1 Remove transfer actuator via 2 bolts on the left and right, leave the rear plug on and ignition on.
2. Turn the left shaft with a screw driver counter clockwise till you feel a slight stop and it will coil clockwise with a spring like feel.
3 reassemble and test

Done. wish i knew that 2 days ago :thumpdown:
What do you mean left shaft ? There is only 1 shaft when actuator is removed
Also do I switch to 2WD on dash switch befor or after manually changing ratio?

Back