Removing the steering wheel from a 2013 RX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't. We've only just recently come out of lockdown but so far everyone, mechanics and wreckers, that I've contacted about it either thought it was just a matter of pushing up through the hole in the bottom of the wheel that doesn't exist on mine, "just unscrew the bolts" (there are none), or flat-out wouldn't touch another one of those "pox-ridden shit models" because they wasted too much time trying to do one in the past. I'm pretty much ready to give up on the whole idea.

I've had mine off a few of times. The Thai built have the two clips at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You remove the little plugs to gain access.

Once you have a picture in your mind of where the clips are it's quite easy. The airbag assembly is held snugly by plastic dowells with a barb in a slotted hole with the barb retained by the clip so it requires some pull on the airbag at the same time you're pushing the clip. Applying a squirt of silicone spray into the holes helps.

The way I've done it is to push on the left clip while applying some pull. You can feel it move slightly outwards as the plastic barb overcomes resistance and slides over the metal wire clip. While maintaining that pull I swap to the right and push that clip and the whole thing pops out.

It makes it easier with a notch cut into a cheap blade screwdriver so it doesn't keep slipping of the metal clip.

Here's a video from the The African Mechanic working on a Thai built:

These guys are also on a Thai truck probably in Thailand. One fellow pulls on the airbag while the other pushes both clips at once. This is probably the easiest way if you can find an assistant

Last edited:
Thanks Scott52 for the detailed description and links to those videos. I'm surprised I didn't find them myself. Seeing the wheel with the airbag removed makes things a lot clearer. It looks like I was on the right track but didn't realise it required a fairly decent pull to get the airbag off. I'd been avoiding applying too much pressure because I didn't want to break anything, especially not an expensive airbag. I'll give this another try as soon as the weather improves a bit and let you know if I get a result.

Thanks Scott52 for the detailed description and links to those videos. I'm surprised I didn't find them myself. Seeing the wheel with the airbag removed makes things a lot clearer. It looks like I was on the right track but didn't realise it required a fairly decent pull to get the airbag off. I'd been avoiding applying too much pressure because I didn't want to break anything, especially not an expensive airbag. I'll give this another try as soon as the weather improves a bit and let you know if I get a result.

As a refresher I just went out side and pulled the airbag off a couple of times. This time I did the RHS first.

Using the tips of the fingers on your left hand pull hard on the top of the airbag slightly right of centre while pushing the right clip in with a notched screwdriver ... you'll feel the airbag move past the clip. You have to keep the pressure on to the point it's uncomfortable on the finger tips. Now switch over to pulling with the right finger tips without releasing the pressure. As soon as the pressure lets of a fraction you'll hear and feel it slide back in behind the clip again. That can be annoying after it's happened several times so it may take a few practice runs to get the hang of it.

When the right finger tips are in position use the left hand to push the LHS clip with the screwdriver and the air bag will pop out.

Putting it back requires the bottom dowel to be in position first. You'll know when it's in the right spot. Just give it a whack with a hammer fist and it jumps back in.

Pulling hard on the top of the airbag may distort the plastic a bit but it seems to have a memory. It will return to it's original shape after a little while.

If you can find an Assistant to pull hard on the air bag while you push both clips at once will make it easier and prevent sore fingers.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded, especially Scott52, who provided the all-important missing bit of information. I've managed to get the airbag off twice already. Unfortunately, the reason I had for removing it, the fitting of audio switches to the steering wheel, has been an utter failure. It appears that my model doesn't have the necessary wiring for these switches, so they go in my parts box until I get the time and enthusiasm to investigate further. Another downside to tackling this job is that now I have a flashing airbag warning light and will need to dig into that further as well. On the plus side, my horn is working again.

Following the procedure in this post I solved my airbag warning light problem. It appears to have been caused by me turning the ignition on with the airbag disconnected while testing the new switches. It also appears the Navara diagnostics are not smart enough to detect the airbag on its own and needs to be convinced to force a check. Bloody stupid programming in that part of the ECU.

Back