Removing the Bellhousing D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

Biggus

Reaction score
Can I get some info on a 2008 yd25 navara spanish built 4wd manual?
Trying to remove the gearbox bellhousing to exchange the clutch. Ive taken out 10 bolts so far, the bugger wont budge. Are there anymore hiding at the top out of sight?

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
According to the manual, there are 10 bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine, and there are 3 nuts and 2 bolts holding the gearbox to the cross member. These are located:

Engine to gearbox, viewed from the front with "12 O'clock" being straight up, "3 O'clock" referring to the vehicle's left side etc.

* 2 bolts at the top, at around 12 o'clock right next to each other
* 1 bolt at 2 o'clock
* 2 bolts at 3 o'clock
* 1 bolt at 5 o'clock
* 1 bolt at 7 o'clock
* 2 bolts at 9 o'clock
* 1 bolt at 10 o'clock

The three nuts and 2 bolts underneath pass through the cross member in the vehicle's centreline and if memory serves, they are absolute pains to remove and require some care to NOT round the things off. There are two bolts on each side of the cross member, which should be done up to 100 Nm of torque. I'm not sure you can move the thing around by undoing the cross member from the vehicle, but it might be worth looking at.

Info from MT-17 and MT-18 in the manual.

Biggus

Reaction score
Wow, thanks, as Ive already removed 10 bolts. Is there more? How would I get to the top two. Ive so far removed all plugs ,hoses, cross member etc. Thanks for a speedy response Ive only ever removed a box from an old holden so this is a biggy for me. To many aches and pains now try again tomorrow.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, thanks, as Ive already removed 10 bolts. Is there more? How would I get to the top two. Ive so far removed all plugs ,hoses, cross member etc. Thanks for a speedy response Ive only ever removed a box from an old holden so this is a biggy for me. To many aches and pains now try again tomorrow.
If you've taken 10 bolts (of the same size) from the bell housing, you should have them all.

Biggus

Reaction score
Getting too old for this, have another go at splitting the housing off today, Ive taken the two bolts at 10 and 2, could be one hidden directly at 12.

Biggus

Reaction score
Ive located a bolt at the top which attaches the breather pipe bracket on the housing, does it need to be removed? If so thats 11 bolts. See photo

Attachments

Erick

Reaction score
That looks Definately a bell housing bolt. Getting bolts out at top invokes lots of socket extensions and a flex joint/wobble bars.

Biggus

Reaction score
Yes, and theres another one Ive been trying remove on opposite side. That will make 12 all up. Bloody hell they're a bitch of a thing.I can get a number of extensions and a socket on them but so far just won't budge.