Radio turns on but no sound

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2012 d22. For the past 6 months occasionally sound will stop coming out of the speakers and then come back on randomly. Last week the sound stopped completely. It happens with both speakers at the same time. I've checked the constant and ignition wires and both are 12v. I've also checked the fuses both inside the car and in the engine bay. Any other suggestions?

If both speakers go out simultaneously its the radio itself.
If either speaker goes off it could be speaker wires.
If the radio doesn't lose power when the speakers go out you probably need a new radio.

Theoretically, the radio could turn of the other speaker when it loses the connection to one speaker (allthough that is highly unlikely). You could test that by actively disconnecting one speaker.

I have a 2012 d22. For the past 6 months occasionally sound will stop coming out of the speakers and then come back on randomly. Last week the sound stopped completely. It happens with both speakers at the same time. I've checked the constant and ignition wires and both are 12v. I've also checked the fuses both inside the car and in the engine bay. Any other suggestions?

As @redkite has said, it would definitely be the stereo, its internal amp is cooked.

Thankfully the D22 and D40 both use a standard DIN stereo, the world is your oyster when it comes to selecting a replacement.

In a past life I repaired electronic devices like car radios. The symptoms you are getting would be a typical internal car radio fault.
I don’t know that system but is there anything external that can mute the radio eg. Phone/Bluetooth? Is a phone trying to connect and muting the radio?
What is the expression on the radio’s face when it fails? Do all the lights go out or can you see that power is still connected?

The fault could be anything but common faults would be:
* The audio amp chip is overheating and shutting down because it has not had the thermal paste spread evenly over it against its metal heatsink.
* The audio chip is faulty.
* Power getting to the audio power stage is intermittent.
* Intermittent solder joint

Is there any audio distortion when the failure occurs?

Latest posts

Back