Quick advice - Timing Chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo

Reaction score
Hello all. I am pretty new here.
I am looking at a 2008 D22 with the 2.5td 4 cyl engine (I think its the Y25). it has done 170.000km

1. Am I correct that this has the single row timing chain?
2. It has been regularly serviced at Nissan, but there is no specific mention of timing chain service in the books. I have seen some info where it should have been done by now?
3. Everything else on the car is very clean and tidy, and it looks really well looked after.

Would the lack of service on the timing chain raise a red flag for you regarding purchasing the vehicle?

Correct, a YD25DDTI is fitted which has simplex lower chain.

There is no such thing as a timing chain service. They aren't like rubber belts which are relatively easily inspected and changed.

Failed timing chains are not that common, from what I have seen far more likely on vehicles which have not had regular oil changes.

I have the same model as you with about the same mileage. The blokes at Berrima diesel told me to lessen the chances of a cam chain problem was regular oil changes. They suggested oil changes every 5,000k ( oil filter at 10,000k). They recently sold their run-around shop D40 (I think it was also a 08 model) with 800,000k on it which is still going strong without any cam chain problems.

Correct, a YD25DDTI is fitted which has simplex lower chain.

There is no such thing as a timing chain service. They aren't like rubber belts which are relatively easily inspected and changed.

Failed timing chains are not that common, from what I have seen far more likely on vehicles which have not had regular oil changes.
Thank you for confirming with regards to the chain. I realize they are not rubber belts that are easily replaced. I really would not be concerned and asking about possible issues if that was the case. As there is a timing chain service interval, service denoting a series of specific procedures that need to be followed, I assumed that would be the correct term to use.

I have the same model as you with about the same mileage. The blokes at Berrima diesel told me to lessen the chances of a cam chain problem was regular oil changes. They suggested oil changes every 5,000k ( oil filter at 10,000k). They recently sold their run-around shop D40 (I think it was also a 08 model) with 800,000k on it which is still going strong without any cam chain problems.
Thanks much Cuda. that is good to hear.

Thank you for confirming with regards to the chain. I realize they are not rubber belts that are easily replaced. I really would not be concerned and asking about possible issues if that was the case. As there is a timing chain service interval, service denoting a series of specific procedures that need to be followed, I assumed that would be the correct term to use.
No, there are no specified procedures by Nissan that need to be followed at service intervals.

However, no reason why the front end couldn't be stripped down and wear on the chain measured, apart from labour cost.

No, there are no specified procedures by Nissan that need to be followed at service intervals.

However, no reason why the front end couldn't be stripped down and wear on the chain measured, apart from labour cost.
Yes, as it is a used car, and you rarely know 100% of the truth or history, I like to do all the fluids, filters, check as much as possible, so I know for sure what has been done.

Running wrong grade oil dosnt help these chains.

Latest posts

Back