QD32 Puffs White Smoke When Cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bvandermaat

Reaction score
Gday,

So I have been searching and seems that it might either be my injectors or glow plugs. Seems to go away when it warms up.

Anyway the problem is that after 1000rpm when cold it seems to miss and blow white smoke. Seems to be worse around 1500. It has a T25 Turbo and is running 12PSI
I installed an oil cooler yesterday and it was not happening before then. I was wondering if this had anything to do with it.
I also read that it could be oil being thrown up by the crank. The oil level is just below (2mm) the full line on the dip stick.
Here is a video to show whats happening, the engine is reving at 1500rpm. :sorry3: I filmed it upside down, plays the right way on my phone though.

first thing to check is glow plugs.

any wires or hoses get disconnect when you did the oil cooler?

also wheres the darn pics of the cooler ! ! ! need a write up on that !

Yeah it isn't at Idle. I have pulled the hand throttle out to 1500rpm.
Might buy a new set of glow plugs and whack them in this week. See how it goes.

i take it that it doesn't blow smoke at idle?
if so check fuel lines and fuel filter. might be sucking air in. could also be injection pump, they can suck air in when cold and the gap closes when it gets hot.

glow plug test, check with multimeter or just connect a light to an individual glow plug. no need to buy new ones just yet.

i take it that it doesn't blow smoke at idle?

Nope no smoke at idle. Only a tiny bit on start as well. It seems to be fine until around 1300rpm. I have bled the fuel from the filter but will wait until I have time to do it from the injector pump.
Would seem that this bloody oil cooler is leaking from somewhere near the oil filter as well.

Would fairly safely say it's not oil related.
White smoke = incomplete combustion.
Blue smoke = oil burning.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I have just had a though. Could it be low air flow. As this only happens when the car is parked and revving. Not when I am out driving while its cold.
I have taken the 80 Series airbox off which I had since I put the turbo on.
Maybe I will try a Pod filter I have sitting around and see how that goes.

Alright so here is an update. After 3 weeks of my new VSP brand "QD32" glow plugs sitting on my work bench I went out and bought some NGK glow plugs. Needless to say they were different. So to clear up VSP TD27 "QD32" plugs will fit but are too short.

So at 10am today after a great sleep in I started work on installing the new plugs. I noticed they had been done before when I pulled them out. They were NGK and the same as the new set I had purchased.
After a bit of stuffing around and running over to autobarn in my brother's.... proton... to buy a 12mm long socket everything was done.
Now there is no white smoke at start, none through out the whole rev range in fact. I am very happy. Thanks for the help Dave and Tweak'e!

Here are some photos to show the difference between new and old. And VSP "QD32" plugs VS NGK QD32 Plugs.
IMG_20120302_112935.jpg
IMG_20120302_145908.jpg

Last edited:
Gday mate, Im having a similar issue with my ute now too. It blows alot of smoke at idle when cold but disappears when warm. Out of interest where did you get your replacement glow plugs and what model were they? NGK CY58?

Hey mate. I ended up getting mine from Autobarn. Can't remember what they were thought sorry. I know that they are not the same as TD27 ones though.

Well done!, if i saw this post earlier i would have yelled glow plugs!,
mine had a similar brain fart but rectified itself when i was out in the country in winter (last year) when it was -3 at night, the nab didn't like it very much and had the same issue s yours, but it was only a small miss down low 700-1000 and only for 10-seconds before... either the plugs "fixed themselves" or there was enough heat in the combustion chamber to compensate.

Latest posts

Back