QD32 blows smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabab

Reaction score
I have a d22 navara qd32 diesel that blows smoke when starting engine (cold). To takle this problem I have replaced injectors with new hiflow aftermarket ones, replaced all the glow plugs with new genuine nissan ones, performed compression test (all good 3,000kpa), replaced air cleaner, replaced fuel filter, all fuel lines are clear the only thing left is the injector pump (not common rail) & checked out glow plug timer which operates as per workshop manual.

Still have smoke problem - The smoke is a result of unburn't diesel, To prove this I dissconected the glow plug timer coolant temp sensor which simulates very cold temprature. When the ignition is turned on now the dash glow lamp stays on for more than 15 sec which realy heats up the glow plugs, car now starts smoothly and no smoke. My problem is the glow plugs won't last long and if everything tests ok why the smoke. If anyone has had experiance with injector pumps causing smoke when cold issues would luv to hear from you.

I am planing on installing a turbo kit to boost the power from this motor due to it being a bit slugish for my liking (decellarates up hill and constantly having to gear down). Does anyone else have the qd32 and not satisfied with the power or is it just mine.

Need to get the motor right before installing turbo any help welcome. cheers

what color smoke?

if it seams to be glow plug related then i would check if the glows are still getting power once motor is running. typically they are dual stage and usually have a big resistor in the circuit somewhere.

Thanks for the reply tweak'e

I have checked the glow system thoroughly to the extent i removed the injectors to see for myself the glow plugs were glowing cherry red initialy then pulsing during cranking and running, this is done by dissconectiong the fuel cut soleniod thus tricking the glow circuit that the engine is running. all checks ok

I am planing on installing a turbo kit to boost the power from this motor due to it being a bit slugish for my liking (decellarates up hill and constantly having to gear down). Does anyone else have the qd32 and not satisfied with the power or is it just mine.

It's a fantastic motor in every regard, except for the fact that it's a wheezy atmo. Turbo it and you'll never look back.

Nissan's sales suffered because they delayed turboing the Navara whilst the rest of the market had turbos.

I have the same issues! I've had Glow Plugs & injectors replaced. Even - due to spring failure - my injector pump re-built. I still get masses of smoke on start up. I've noticed that on even the coldest mornings my plugs don't seem to stay on long at all. Only seconds. So I have to manually turn them on over & over, up to ten times or more to get sufficient heat for a a good start, and then still smoke!

I've made a big improve on the power by going Gas/Diesel, and then using headers, bigger exhaust, hi-flow air filter & snorkel. It's still no race car, but it quite an acceptable rig to get about in now... and with around 11-12 km/Lt around town, I'm not complaining. Just the Glow plugs & smoke!!

no ones mentioned what color smoke your getting. that kinda helps to know what it is.

the other thing if you have the "efi" version the pumps are known to wear causing timing (??) problems and tend to blow smoke, run on etc because of that. could sim-ply be timing is running retarded till pump heats up and timing comes right.

There a old design motor, nothing wrong with them. The best 4 cylinder that Nissan Diesel built for Nissan.

The pump is fully mechanical, on start up there will be smoke as everything is set up for operating temp, a EFI diesel will adjust everything for different times like cold start and at operating temp.

Is it down on power ?

If not its fine.

Dave.

The smoke is white in color. I'm looking at air leaks and starving of fuel as possible causes then and only then will I look at getting the injector pump replaced or overhauled $$$, remember these pumps are mechanical beasts and perform 4 injections every cycle which equtes to millions and millions of cyles esspecially when the car has done 200,000kms+ any wonder they wear out. The common rail on the other hand is comprised mainly of electronics therefore the main items that fail are the final element being the injectors themselves or the high pressure electric fuel pump. I'm also going looking at converting the engine to common rail depending on how messy and expensive the job is or even dumping the 3litre comon rail from a newer model, still early days (so much to think about)

Just turbo the motor, you can pick up the QD32ETI stuff sometimes cheap and run the EFI pump, the EFI QD32 makes more power and torque then the ZD30DDT.

You will pretty much need a direct injection head for common rail.

Dave.

what injection pump does it have ? mech or "efi"
it looks like the mechanical pump has injection advance solenoid on it. it could have failed or could be pump has been advanced and its advancing to much when cold. you can test it by unplugging it.

also it seams that there is two versions of glows. one is basic single glow and other has dual glow.

White/Greyish smoke... hard to give you a PMS colour really! As far as I know I don't have the EFI Pump. She's an Aussie spec April 2000 Navara 3.2 DX. I'm about to get Alltrak 4WD to look over it & see what they come up with! Will post the findings anyway!

Yeah my qd32 blows white smoke on cold days when starting but after a few seconds all is fine again. I had the injectors done a while back and it made little difference.
I would like to go the turbo path as well but the department of war and finance (read wife) would not agree with me. Sluggish is putting it mildly and overtaking is a distant memory. Only thing I overtake is parked vehicles.
Nulon injector cleaner makes a bit of difference too. Seems to run smoother if that is possible.

Alan

A QD32 powered D22 will leave a 3L powered Hilux for dead.

They go alright but not as good up high as say a ZD30 or YD25.

Dave.

I have a d22 navara qd32 diesel that blows smoke when starting engine (cold). To takle this problem I have replaced injectors with new hiflow aftermarket ones, replaced all the glow plugs with new genuine nissan ones, performed compression test (all good 3,000kpa), replaced air cleaner, replaced fuel filter, all fuel lines are clear the only thing left is the injector pump (not common rail) & checked out glow plug timer which operates as per workshop manual.

Still have smoke problem - The smoke is a result of unburn't diesel, To prove this I dissconected the glow plug timer coolant temp sensor which simulates very cold temprature. When the ignition is turned on now the dash glow lamp stays on for more than 15 sec which realy heats up the glow plugs, car now starts smoothly and no smoke. My problem is the glow plugs won't last long and if everything tests ok why the smoke. If anyone has had experiance with injector pumps causing smoke when cold issues would luv to hear from you.

Need to get the motor right before installing turbo any help welcome. cheers
would you know what the head torque setting's are for the QD32?

Latest posts

Back