Preparing for a long journey

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainezo

Reaction score
G'day all,

I've recently purchased a thai built '12 d40 and have been wandering through these forums reading all about it. The missus, dog and I are about to move from Adelaide to north QLD in a couple months for work and I'm wanting to do everything I can to prepare the d40 for the 3day trip in likely +40 degree heat. With all the information ive found on these forums i have this list and was wondering if anyone had any further input or anything else to add.

- source a steel bullbar incase of roos
- considering EGR delete from yd25.com (get lots of black smoke at times and several people are seeing increase to power and fuel economy with this mod)
- service and radiator pressure check
- get timing chain checked and possibly injectors cleaned if black smoke doesnt clear from a) egr delete and b) injector cleaner additive.
- possibly look at replacing heater and oil cooler lines with the kit from yd25.com if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated, last thing I want is a breakdown in 40 degree heat with my 12 year old rottweiler in the car.

Cheers in advance 😁👍

Getting the timing chains checked isn't a bad idea, if they crack the cover open to do the inspection make sure they check the tensioner guide as well.

The bullbar is very useful. LED driving lights are probably the best choice because the light is instant. I'd suggest HIDs for long-distance viewing but I've found a good LED light bar gives enough depth of light for the purposes of seeing things soon enough so you can stop/avoid them, as well as a good spread of light to see critters at the side of the road.

Consider a long range tank (ARB's Long Ranger is what I have). The extra 70 litres is valuable. You don't have a limit on how much fuel you can carry (petrol is restricted to 250L max, diesel has no limit) but filling the tub with jerry cans means less other useful stuff.

A good fridge is (in my experience) vital. I will not have any fridge with a Danfos (Secop) compressor - I now have two Engel fridges (60L as a fridge and a 40L as a freezer).

If yours is an auto, you could consider fitting a large transmission cooler to the front of the condenser/radiator assembly and disconnect the lines from the radiator and connect them to the new cooler. Ensure the transmission fluid is topped up after running the transmission for a bit to fill the cooler. You might consider some protection for under the front to protect the cooler/radiator from an animal that strikes underneath (possums, wombats, cats etc).

A CB radio (the new UHF units, not one of the old 27MHz jobs) might be handy but they have limited range. Satellite phones have excellent coverage but they're ridiculously expensive. Most of the major highways are covered by Telstra these days, so with a Telstra/Boost/Aldi account you should get coverage for most of the journey.

A basic tool set (which should include some rescue tape and a good torch) is essential. Also get one of those tyre plugging kits and a reasonable compressor - I've used the cord ones, when you insert the plug, give the cord a twist so that it forms a head inside the tyre - that way it won't come out too easy. If it's done right and the sidewall of the tyre wasn't damaged, it should last the life of the tyre.

Other than that, the usual long-distance stuff that you might find "missing" on the road (like toilet paper, soap etc).

Thanks very much for getting back to me mate its much appreciated!

The black smoke significantly reduced with the injector cleaner additive so I won't be looking into the EGR delete or catch can just yet and I'll put the money towards a LED bar for the bullbar like you suggested. I had one on my patrol which was great.

The fuel tank is a fantastic idea, I might have to see how much I can bargain ARB down as its a bit out of my price range with most of our money going towards the move and bullbar. Otherwise jerry can might have to be the go.

I'll look into the tyre plugging kit, cheers for the tip!

Latest posts

Back