Power Steering Fluid?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stelianos

Reaction score
hello everyone, recentlly (about a month ago) i did both differentials-gearbox-transfer case fluid changes. i was wondering. at 174,000 kms(and almost 14 years) should i do a power steering flush? i know the manual doesnt state anything about it only says to check for leaks and doesnt state change intervals but has any of you done a completely flush? old fluid out, new in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fiZCHz5ew something like this?

It wouldn't hurt. Because there's no combustion or enormous sheer forces, ATF (which they usually use in power steering) lasts a very long time, and in fact the auto boxes are filled for life nowadays. Still, a check of the oil for contamination would reveal the need (desire) to change it. If it's not a nice ATF colour (normally red, at least in Australia) then it may have suffered some deterioration or contamination.

the colour has a brown-black death like colour but i think from factory it was filled with DEX 3 oil and not actual atf. i least i hope it wasnt atf because it would mean the oil is toasted for good! i think i will go ahead and replace it with the same oil i used on my transfer case and hope for the best!
612133.jpg

the only thing that really conserns me is the cooler for the power steering fluid which sits right in front of the radiator. and its like 1 meter higher than the actual pump or the steering box. making bleeding the air really hard i guess. the fill up bottle is pretty high but still did anyone go ahead with it and had any problems?

Best way to do this (or what i have done before :) Get plenty of the fluid you are going to use. Remove the return to the reservoir. Put that in a container big enough. Get your new fluid ready. Get your friend to start the truck, as the fluid returns to the container pour in the new stuff, keeping the reservoir topped up. Get your helper to turn the steering lock to lock as it's running and pouring in the new fluid until the return fluid comes clear. Fully flushed and no air! I would think that there would be little chance of getting air locks no matter which way you do it. The pump is positive displacement not like the water pump in your cooling system.

I have heard that in old systems after flushing it has developed leaks soon after as it has been flushed out any as any contaminates on the seals that in a way are contributing to the seals integrity.

And don't use synthetic ATF.

Best way to do this (or what i have done before :) Get plenty of the fluid you are going to use. Remove the return to the reservoir. Put that in a container big enough. Get your new fluid ready. Get your friend to start the truck, as the fluid returns to the container pour in the new stuff, keeping the reservoir topped up. Get your helper to turn the steering lock to lock as it's running and pouring in the new fluid until the return fluid comes clear. Fully flushed and no air! I would think that there would be little chance of getting air locks no matter which way you do it. The pump is positive displacement not like the water pump in your cooling system.

I have heard that in old systems after flushing it has developed leaks soon after as it has been flushed out any as any contaminates on the seals that in a way are contributing to the seals integrity.

And don't use synthetic ATF.

wow man really like this idea! and makes perfect sense since you are just filling up what you lose flushing the whole system. low pressure hose is so easy to get as well. i called the mechanic who takes cares the vehicle since like 2005 (he is also my cousin and like brother to me) and said he hasnt touch the fluid so far so its the factory oil still in there (but also that none changes it anyway and never has seen problems with nissan pumps). i also park the truck in a really awkard parking space which means i have lock to lock the steering to park there 2-3 times a day at least so new ATF wont do any harm. looked on the castrol site and the DEX 3 atf multivehicle is not synthetic atf so it will be ok on the steering gears. capacity is ~1 litre so i will just buy 2 and run them through the system and be done with it.

how about members with zd30 d22's have you guys ever changed the power steering fluid and if yes at which point of the vehicles life? thanks!

well thinking of it i will go to Nissan first and see how much more expensive is their power steering fluid, the castrol one is ~10 euro if Nissan is around that price i will just buy the 2 litres i will need from them. sorry for being a nablet at this i just started doing oils-fluids services on the d22 since last summer for fun and i kinda enjoyed it so much. i will keep servicing the navara like that myself live and learn! its also much more easier to work on than a civic or a nissan cabstar anyway!

ok so bit of an update on this, i called nissan headquarters in athens and asked about it. they sayed they never change them since its not really needed but if i want i can it wont do any harm. so i got 2Litre of genuine nissan atf dex 3 compatible to flush the whole system and refill with fresh red atf instead of the brown-black fluid that is currently there. here are some pictures as well, part number is KE908-99931, price was 11 euro per litre which should be 35 AUD for both litres. Nissan Matic D is also whats used on the transfer case.
20160209_152913.jpg

20160209_152924.jpg

Latest posts

Back