Please help - advice on whether I should sell my awesome 2012 dual cab chassis D40 or spend money on it instead?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohnuthole

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hunter Valley NSW. Earlier this year I bought a beaut Nav D40 Diesel Manual 2012 MNT Dual Cab (picture attached) with Bull Bar, Lift, wheels tyres etc... 158,000kms. Awesome. After spending on a few things like rego I only spent about $13K all up. Deal of the century. Or so I thought. The engine has just blown after 6 months of ownership. I got a quote for a new engine and nearly fell off my chair. I only went to one mechanic but he was recommended by YD25.com. He seems very good. I am not mechanical so can't do myself. So now I have to spend a bomb on a new 2nd hand engine and fuel system or a wrecker said he would likely give me $5K based on inspection. I have seen some others selling online without engines (not as mint) for $7K. What do do? If I get $5K from wrecker immediately and cancel rego and insurance and get 6 months of them back. Or list on gumtree for say $7K with rego. Or spend $7K - $9K on a 2nd hand engine, new fuel system, starter motor and anything else I might want to get the car in really good shape. But then I will be owed $20K - $22K. Which it probably will be worth based on carsales ads. But, its a lot of work and time with an unknown result in the longer term due to a 2nd hand engine given that I am not mechanical. What would you do????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.23.04 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.23.04 am.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 21
Welcome to the forum.

My first step would be to determine why the engine blew up. Did it overheat and crack a head? Did it drop the timing chain and let half the valves play ping-pong with the pistons? The answer to this would govern my next move.

If I was left with needing a full rebuild or replacement, I'd probably give Central Coast 4x4 Wreckers a call and see if they had anything that might suit. (02) 4352 2443 is their number.

I lean toward repairing stuff. I’d probably put in a second hand engine, but as above, it depends a bit on what went wrong. If the rest of the vehicle is what you want, it is in good condition and you plan to hang onto it for a while, spending to get it running might be worth it, especially if it doesn’t go too much over market value.

I lean toward repairing stuff. I’d probably put in a second hand engine, but as above, it depends a bit on what went wrong. If the rest of the vehicle is what you want, it is in good condition and you plan to hang onto it for a while, spending to get it running might be worth it, especially if it doesn’t go too much over market value.
Yeah it's a hard call. If you buy a new one the same thing could happen again, be it a Hilux, Dmax, Triton etc. However a second hand motor could be in the same state as your last one. How much for a new one or rebuild?

I just spent $14K rebuilding my 11 year old D40 YD25 engine. She'd done 360,000km, a lot of that towing a decent size trailer. KVK at Yennora did a great job.
When I looked at it, I had the car setup the way I liked it. She drove well and was in generally good condition. For an equal amount of money you wouldn't know what you were buying into in a second hand car so the decision to get a rebuild was fairly easy.

Put a Barra in her! :) j.k j.k

I know you can get a Honden v6 conversion for the ZD so there must be something out there for your model?

Shame your not on the tools mate, I'd say pull it down and see where she failed..

What state do you live in?
Do you have cover for it and a place where you could pull the motor out etc? Great way to learn about motors and your 4b mate!

I've got a 2003 that I'd rebuild or v6 it!
I'd like to Barra it and make a beach buggy/unit out of her lol ohhhyeahhhh

But seriously, it's a really good feeling knowing how to work on them and keeping them running.. So how did this one stop? With a bang or like she ran out of fuel? Back wheels lock up? Grinding crunching sounds? It may just be a cracked head, what did the mechanic say had happened? Or did they give you the old "oooohmaaaateweeee won't knoooow untilllllll weeeeepullher dooooown maaate" line? Trust me, there's a lot more worse mechanics than good!

Second OPPINIONS my man, always get a second oppinion! Where are you?

Latest posts

Back