Picking up my auction winnings tomorrow morning!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm James, looking forward to getting involved in this community!

I've always just owned commodore due to the whole "cheap and easy to fix" but my VZ proved to be years worth of drama and it crapped out on me for the last time a couple of weeks ago. I've got a growing family and do decent trips at night on the regular so a 4WD was just the right choice.

I won an auction for a 2006 D22 ST-R 3.0 with around 150k on it. From all the research I did and the price point I was at a D22 with the ZD30 seemed to be the best of the bunch especially this one with the low kms and generally good enough service history (there are some gaps in the earlier pages)

Scored a snorkel and a decent canopy, going to grab some spotlights and a wiring harness for my double din stereo on my way home from the yard - looking forward to getting stuck into this!

Attachments

• Nav.jpg
    Nav.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 26
Looks in good condition. You did your research it seems. Don't want to jinx anyone so hesitate to say this, but the '04-'06 model "made in Japan" D22's were good quality and probably the best they ever made as far as longevity/reliability goes. Not a race car, they just chug along, but with regular maintenance at these km's should last you a long time yet.

Last edited:
Looks in good condition. You did your research it seems. Don't want to jinx anyone so hesitate to say this, but the '04-'06 model "made in Japan" D22's were good quality and probably the best they ever made as far as longevity/reliability goes. Not a race car, they just chug along, but with regular maintenance at these km's should last you a long time yet.

Yep the made in Japan was a big seller for me, I've always been big into Jap cars so know a bit about their reliability lol

There's are a few scrapes, but over all super happy with it :)

Big into Jap cars but always had Commodores 😂
Like me, I have a 76 Mazda 121 but also a HQ Stato. The Stato sounds awesome but I loved the 121. It is in a state of restoration though at the moment. My ZD30 has 330k now I think. You have a good bus👍

I should have mentioned I've only found real fulltime employment at the start of last year, never had the money for the jap cars I'm into, cheap V6 commos always did the trick lol

HQs would be one of my favourite classics, I've got a VL project myself with 100,000 on it

It drives awesome, I think it must have come from an older couple towing a caravan or something - electric brake installed, UHF, very clean interior. The suspension would be the only thing I'm not sure about, feels a little saggy but again, Commodores so I don't really have a good frame of reference. Gearbox feels brand new!

Sounds like a good pickup. I'm sure you'll have a good read through the forums in your own time, but a catch can to go with your egr block that you've asked about will help a lot. Also for a bit more performance and engine life you can fit an intercooler. There's a few different options around for them, but I helped one of the guys on this forum install a forefront one a few years ago and it seemed reasonable quality.

The good thing about the d22 suspension is how basic it is. Very easy to work on. I'd be checking out the shockies, even just changing them gives a lot nicer ride than the factory stuff. If that is still in there it will be well and truly past it's use by date....

Throw up some more pictures once you pick it up.

Hey Bods

Been reading through a bunch on here, I've got my laundry list of upgrades building up! Intercooler was defiantly up there, I think a front mount would be better for the sake of ease when working on the motor right?

I've watched a few videos of people putting in lift kits and it does look very simple, no spooky spring clamps to deal with is a big bonus to me lol

I'll take some more pics today and chuck them up in here.

I should have mentioned I've only found real fulltime employment at the start of last year, never had the money for the jap cars I'm into, cheap V6 commos always did the trick lol

HQs would be one of my favourite classics, I've got a VL project myself with 100,000 on it

It drives awesome, I think it must have come from an older couple towing a caravan or something - electric brake installed, UHF, very clean interior. The suspension would be the only thing I'm not sure about, feels a little saggy but again, Commodores so I don't really have a good frame of reference. Gearbox feels brand new!
Back in 1987 i bought a VL Calias Turbo a great cat and could really fly had it over 200 KPH a few times, but at the time Turbo's were new and insurance company's loved to charge you for having one i think my insurance was over $1,000 with a clean record ,

It was from Grey's, pretty painless experience, they weren't overly helpful though lol
Yeah never bought from them but have followed a few on there to get idea of prices etc just seems a bit casual when they list "does engine start= yes or no"? esp with no warranty but ok if you can test or inspect but we are 200+k's from nearest centre.
Mind you Pickles aren't much better especially national salvage which usually have no possibility of inspection, the city auction centres have limited inspection.

Front mount is easier to fit too, no cutting holes in the bonnet... At least it's got the basics to get you started, snorkel, roof rack and canopy...

If you Send a pm to Zordo on the forums here, he has pretty good pricing for suspension. Good advice too, he's based in Brisbane but can usually organise kits to be picked up from various suppliers around the country, otherwise he can freight it to you.

The only other thing I'd recommend is fitting some gauges. Boost isn't too big of an issue for the d22s as they run a wastegate turbo, but I'd definitely get a egt gauge as a minimum of it hasn't got any fitted yet. You can fit them with a standard exhaust if you want, but most aftermarket ones come with a bunch welded in that you simply screw the probe holder into. I had boost, egt and oil pressure gauges in my d22, just to keep an eye on things. It is amazing how hot the exhaust gets even when you're not towing.

Front mount is easier to fit too, no cutting holes in the bonnet... At least it's got the basics to get you started, snorkel, roof rack and canopy...

If you Send a pm to Zordo on the forums here, he has pretty good pricing for suspension. Good advice too, he's based in Brisbane but can usually organise kits to be picked up from various suppliers around the country, otherwise he can freight it to you.

The only other thing I'd recommend is fitting some gauges. Boost isn't too big of an issue for the d22s as they run a wastegate turbo, but I'd definitely get a egt gauge as a minimum of it hasn't got any fitted yet. You can fit them with a standard exhaust if you want, but most aftermarket ones come with a bunch welded in that you simply screw the probe holder into. I had boost, egt and oil pressure gauges in my d22, just to keep an eye on things. It is amazing how hot the exhaust gets even when you're not towing.

No kidding, I'll definitely shoot a DM thanks for the reference :)

Yep gauges are on the list, heard some horror stories with exhaust temps. Had enough crap batteries too so volt gauges are on the list. SAAS do a turbo timer too, I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on whether I should install one or not lol

I had one on mine, got the same one in the patrol I have now too, just a basic one from supercheap but it shows battery voltage when the engine is running. Bogaard do a plug and play version, but I couldn't justify paying $400odd when the only difference is 2 plugs so you don't have to wire the thing in by yourself...

I've only got saas boost, egt and oil pressure gauges in the patrol and they seem reasonably reliable (getting the same sort of readings as others on the patrol forums with different brand gauges) but I did have autometer C2 boost and egt and a saas oil pressure gauge in my d22 as the white face matched the factory instrument panel nicely.

No kidding, I'll definitely shoot a DM thanks for the reference :)

Yep gauges are on the list, heard some horror stories with exhaust temps. Had enough crap batteries too so volt gauges are on the list. SAAS do a turbo timer too, I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on whether I should install one or not lol
Always good to know the voltage, if kept charged and they don't get too hot batteries should last for 5-10 yrs, I put this little turbo timer in mine, it fits perfectly into the slot in the bottom LH dash panel HKS STYLE BLACK TURBO TIMER BLUE LED TYPE 0 EVO STI WRX RX8 G35 G37 UNIVERSAL 93000048 | eBay
Reason for me putting in is that I will be towing and a turbo on a spare motor here has a stiff rotor which I thought could be from shutting down when hot?

Been a hot minute since I updated this, but we've made some progress.

IMG_20210829_094341_427.jpg

Mods include -
2 inch lift
33x8 inch BF Goodrichs on some Dynamic steelies
3 inch exhaust
Exhaust, water temp & turbo gauges (oil pressure sensor to go in yet)
Head unit upgrade with speakers in all 4 doors
Butterfly/Swirl/EGR block
Oil Catch can
UHF upgraded
Mullet Mod cupholders 👍
Second battery, DC-DC charger
Fridge
Spot lights & mini light bar
Side Awning

I've got a solar panel to go on the roof along with final mounting for my 12v control panel.

Bigger lightbar to replace the little fella on the basket. This one will go lower and further back, learnt my lesson on that one.

Small handful of additional lights that'll go around the basket, on the rear step and where ever else might be useful for camp lighting.

Not really sure where to go from here but I'm sure this rig will keep vaccumming cash straight out of my paychecks lol

Good stuff, looks excellent mate.

Theres plenty of 4wd touring to be had over your way.

Good stuff, looks excellent mate.

Theres plenty of 4wd touring to be had over your way.

All I'm familiar with is parts of the Flinders, looking at broadening my horizons in the near future. Would love to just head out for a weekend soon! Have you got any recommendations?

The Flinders is good, though still think the idea it is a "mountain range" something of an exaggeration lol. If you only have a couple of days you'll be limited as the distances could stop you going too far.

If you had the time a good trip from there could be up the Strzelecki to Innamincka. No real 4wding needed but the clearance will be useful. From there to the Birdsville Track via Walkers Crossing is a good trip. Then you could make your way back along from there.

A shame you wouldn't be able to continue to Qld with the restrictions, but there is still a way into the Simpson Desert that misses out on the QAA line if you had time and inclination, takes you to the Rig Rd or French line. Will definitely need 4wd there.

It depends how much time you have really. Very easy travelling, can basically camp anywhere.

Would also need to stock up with plenty of fuel and water at Innamincka. Could cross the Simpson to Dalhousie Springs and Mt. Dare, then choose which way you would like to return. The Simpson is a great trip.

It can be remote out that way though, so plan well and make sure you have an EPIRB at the very least. After the start, we never saw another person for the next 500 km/4 days across the Simpson. They hire Sat phones for use between Mt Dare and Birdsville for people doing the Simpson, but the pandemic restrictions probably put an end to that at the moment.

That's only a small sample of what you could do though. Someone more local to the area might have some better ideas of shorter trips.

Latest posts

Back