Performance mods D40 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you guys enjoying the thread so far?

• YES

Votes: 159 93.5%
  • NO

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters

4BYFOR

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have decided that I will take a weekend to take pictures and give instructions on all the mods I have done to my Navara. I will just give you guys an idea of what to expect when doing the mods I have done and the all round cost of things. Stay tuned guys I will have some great updates soon!:rambo:

Ok so first up, installing a boost gauge. I purchased an Autometer boost only gauge and tee-ed into the factory boost sensor thats found after the intercooler (coolside) as per this image
013.jpg

You will need about 2 meters of rubber or silicon hose (which ever you prefer to use) and a 4mm tee-peice so that you can tap into that line and take it up along the battery side of the engine bay and behind the ecu where there is a hole in the firewall where all the ecu wires go through.. This job is quite hard to do but if you get a metal coat hanger from the inside above the accelerator pedal and push it through its much easier.. I then took it behind the climate control area and dropped it down to my center console
006.jpg

as you can see in this picture, you can mount it anywhere you like I just dont like gauges up high.. and I also used the climate control power supply to wire in the light that's in the gauge which works off ignition switch :)

by the way I forgot to mention please make sure you zip tie everything espcially near the pedals.. More stuff comming soon! Total cost for boost gauge approx. $130 (depending on the price of the gauge) 1 hour work

While I already have the picture up of my dash I would like to point out that I sprayed the interior the 2 tone effect with silver 2pac paint. I did this myself so not sure how much a panel beater would spray them for you.. It cost me about $300 in paint (plastic primer/silver paint/clear coat+hardner) but i also did my sidesteps as well..
029.jpg

as you can see in this pic.. Took me about 4 hours all up to remove everything and spray..

Secondly! I noticed that I was getting quite abit of black oil in my intercooler piping (hotside) and went for a catch can.. I purchased 15mm x 1meter SS braided hose and 1 catch can (from ebay) this all costed me about $100 all up..
Here are 2 pictures of it installed and you can clearly see where to tap into for the catch can..
021.jpg

020.jpg

007.jpg

This took me about 1 and 1/2 hours to install not alot of room in the engine bay up top but I managed to bolt it to the fuse box on the side.. I had to pull out the guts of it to get the bolt in and put it all back togeather...

Last edited:
Now that we are talking about intercoolers, I have upgraded mine along with all the hard piping.. Now I know there are kits out there now but this little project set me back a little bit because I had to source everything myself.. I went for a bar and fin intercooler 3" inlet/outlet with 2.5" piping from turbo to intercooler then to engine. (if you want dimentions just let me know) OK so bascially, $30 each for for the silicon fittings I have about 6 on the intercooler piping then I paid around $120 for the universal 2.5" piping and $100 for the intercooler. Fitting cost me about $150 thats all the parts by a performance shop..
011.jpg

008.jpg

In the pictures above you can see that I have changed the factory airbox to a K&N Apollo air filter I also took the liberty of removing the whole lot back from the turbo.. I use 2 silicon fittings one of them goes from 3" to 2.5" where it hooks up to the turbo. I purchased a air filter flange from supercheap and screwed it off to the snorkel intake
023.jpg

as you can see in this picture how its all connected up... I had slight modifications to adapt the factory MAF sensor back in, cut out the size of the MAF with a derma drill and put self drilling screws in with abit of locktight. (make sure you put it back in the right way lol)

Last edited:
Stay tuned, I have BOV install, exhaust and Unichip installs left to post up but that will be later in the week, hope you guys like it so far..

Great work! Thought about doing my pipework and filter when I got the car but thought it would be too hard and expensive. You might make me change my mind yet. Looks great!

Just a question, when you changed the piping work, did you notice the boost coming in a little bit earlier than usual? I read somewhere else, the soft piping balloons up a bit when boosting so the boost doesn't go straight into the engine immediately. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back