PCV clean/replace

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnl56

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just fitted a Provent 200 to my D22 YD25. had it on about a week and thought I would check the filter out of curiosity. Bone dry. So run the motor and nothing coming out of the PCV in the rocker cover. The valve looks like a non replaceable as it look integrated with the rocker cover. Question is it and if so can it be cleaned? I took out the oil filler cap and there is blow coming from the motor like any other engine, not a lot but. it doesn't blow smoke or use any oil so the motor seems fine atm. But the PCV worries me. it is due for a oil change in 1K so I will put through some engine flush ( Liquid Molly) but at the same time I am wondering if I need to clean the PCV out. I had a look in the Service manul but it doesn't tell you a lot.

Thanks

John

When the engine is running and I take off the lid to the catch can, there should be fumes coming through the hose from the PCV to the catch can. I am wondering if this is normal for the YD25 or is the PCV blocked not working. They look like they are integrated into the rocker cover and cannot be removed but I may be wrong. Can they be cleaned by spraying a solvent into the PCV outlet? I have had the can on for about a week now and the filter medium is bone dry and clean. Not normal to me..

I'd expect to see some gas moving out of that hose. Try taking the hose off the PCV and see if anything comes out of there. If not, there's a chance it's blocked.

It must be escaping somewhere. Crankcase pressure rises due to blowby and heat and if you block the PCV that pressure will find somewhere else to release (no doubt breaking something in the process if it were on my car).

I don't know if an inspection camera would be worth sticking in there, or even a pipe cleaner, I've never tried - but the gas must be coming out somewhere on your motor!

Whatever you put in there has to be safe for your sump. Carby cleaner would be very unsafe for the engine, I would think. I'd try a physical mechanism like a pipe cleaner first, and inspect the cleaner to see if it's hit some solid gunk. I don't know if the PCV itself can be removed from the camshaft cover without removing the camshaft cover.

Latest posts

Back